Subwoofer Help

Josh Bednarek
Hi guys, I am not very smart when it comes to car audio equipment, but I have a JBL 1200.1 amp hooked up to 3 Pioneer TS-W304DVC. I want to get rid of those subs and want to buy 3 new ones but I dont know what to buy. I want to keep my amp and would like to know what my best options for subs are. Price doesnt matter.

Anonymous
if price doesnt matter buy a new amp, more powerful.. like a PPI amp and then buy some good subs like Kicker

More powerful than the 1200.1? Anynomous, apparently you have no idea how stout that amp really is. Here are the specs:

JBL BP-1200.1
JBL 1200-Watt PowerValve Subwoofer Amplifier
600W x 1 Into 4 Ohms
1200W x 1 Into 2 Ohms
Switching-Amplifier Technology
Built-In, Variable, Low-Pass Electronic Crossover
Variable Bass-Boost Circuitry

Josh, that amp is fine...the subs are certainly your weak spot. Your amp is capable of running three subs but do you really want three? What you want to do is make sure you end up with a single 2-ohm load so you can take advantage of that muscular amp. As you can tell, that 1200 watts drops to 600 when you run a 4-ohm load... Running three subs and ending up with a single 2-ohm load pretty much requires using subs with dual voice coils rated at 6-ohms each. JL makes subs like this (W6 series) and so does Audiobahn (ALUM12Q) but I'm not sure off the top of my head which would work well in such a small enclosure.

Do you have some sort of custom box already installed for those three subs? If so, do you know the volume of each chamber? The TSW3041C only wants 1 cubic foot each so if the box is that small, you need subs that work well in small enclosures.

Give me some more info on what you have and what you want to keep/replace. I'll help you all I can.

Josh Bednarek
Would that amp work good with 3 Audiobahn AW1200q's. The subs are 700 rms each. I dont know the dimensions of my box, all I know is it is big. It sits in the back of my 95 Explorer and it is custom fit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us