2 Batteries?

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 935
My new system will be arriving really soon and i got a AQ2200D and i dont have money for an HO Alt right now so i wanna get a 2nd battery can somebody explain or show me how to hook up 2 batteries my friend keeps sayin sumthing about a battery isolator? Diagrams would be great to thanks

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1135
addin a second bat will help alil but only for a lil while it will drain too just wait and save up for a ho alt.

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 936
yea i still rather have a 2nd battery just so im more safe then not safe at all becuase if i dont then i will be running the AQ2200D completly stock so a 2nd battery would help for a little. Anybody got a diagram or a website on how i do it

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 937
bump

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1137
ya but all the second bat is gonna do is give u a few more seconds of play time b4 it is drained not to meantion youll be killing your electrical and risking blowing your system its really worth waitin for a ho alt

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14117
+ from front to + on rear batt (og) ,,,ground rear batt to a sanded solid point on ur car ...

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 938
can sumbody get me a diagram like a picture how its done. Im hearing i need a battery isolator so the alternator can charge both batteries.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1517
you dont need a isolator. where in pa are you? i can show you how to do it. i am in york

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1438
It was explained. Run a length of wire from one battery to the other. Connect it to the possitive post on each battery. Ground each battery to the frame from the negative terminal. Done. I have 5 batteries right now and there's no isolator- it works better that way.

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 939
My friend telling me if i dont get an isolator that the alternator will have to push extra hard powering 2 batteries?? is this true i like the no isolator idea better anyways it seems a lot easier

Gold Member

Post Number: 1440
No, it simply wont let your batt in front drain while planing the music loud.

An isolator lowers the voltage to your stuff in back. You alt has to work harder with an isolator = not needed.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1114
listen to troy...he knows his business lol

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2637
running an extra battery is very simple ...

many people think its so hard to do when it reality .. its quite possibly one of the easiest ... if u do it .. make sure the batt is secure ... a nice housing around it will usually take care of that

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 700
i have an aq2200 and 2 800amp batteris and its still not enough.

what kind of alt do u have in ur car now?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1126
^^^extra batteries dont solve the problem, only a HO alt can solve the power issue. to run that aq2200 at full tilt, a HO alt is needed

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 940
right now i only have 110A alt and i was gonna get an extra battery just for now until i eventully get a HO because im gonna be getting a new car anyways I have a 1994 jimmy. Benjamin Lukas Kennedy what do u mean by its still not enough? Does the amp cut out or something or is there just a lot of light flickering??

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1004
BLK is also running his AQ at .5 ohm...

Silver Member
Username: Chevyfan502

AQ HDC315Elemental De...

Post Number: 135
I aslo just purchased...actually today...an Audioque 2200D...until i get an H/O alternator I was planning on just leaving the amp at half volume so it wouldnt suck much more juice than my nine.1, except for occasionly revving the car to bout 3 grand and bumping at full volume for 20 or 30 seconds...my question is how much am i looking at for a decent quality h/o alternator to run this 2200D all day? im guessing around a 200amp alternator with decent amperage at idle would be sufficient? could i stay under $300?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 997
Pic 4 u

.Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1454
Chris Engarde- "what do u mean by its still not enough? Does the amp cut out or something or is there just a lot of light flickering??"

Light flickering is NOT okay, unless you're dipping from the upper 15v range down to the 14v range lol..
Long winded answer:

Okay, basically it's not enough because the power is not coming from your batteries. You can get water from a pond, but it's the river/stream that feeds it that keeps it full, right?

Your charging system is like that, your batteries are the pond but in a very very simplified explaination the river is the source of your power if it helps you visualize it.

Now this is a self-sustaining ecosystem, and will work like this for many many years, until suddenly you add a huge-assed sump pump in the center (the amplifier(s)). Suddenly you're draining the pond, the speed with which you can drain it being controlled by how fast the river can fill the pond, and how fast you can pump it out.

Now in your case you are removing water quicker than the river can fill the pond so you decide to add a second pond (battery) and connect the two.
You're still sucking the water out quicker than the river can fill, but because there's more storage it takes a bit longer for it to run out.

Eventually, at that rate you WILL run out of water, or battery power. Once that happens for too long the pump will burn up- as would your amp or some other part of your charging system. A smart person would've made it so the river would fill faster, or in this case upgraded the alternator first to make sure you never run your voltage too low.

I know this is sort of a classic/corny example, but its a great visual representation of what is going on with your charging system.

If you have a 110 amp alternator, and the amp draws 180 amps (just throwing a number out for example) you ARE draining your batteries. Plus figure at least 50+ amps your vehicle will be drawing. The batts may be able to sustain a reasonable voltage for a little while, but they will start dipping into dangerously low territory.

Hope this helps explain why its not enough.

BTW go to missinglinkaudio.com, when you email them tell them Troy told you to ask them what is your best option. Their module will increase the output voltage of your alternator (factory of h/o) which will give you even more room to play with voltage drops and help keep your batteries charged all the way. Great guys and product.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1590
^^troy i was just on that site. how do you install those modules??

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 961
Troy - The amp actully doenst make my lights dim as much as the zx1500.1 the voltage stays right between 14 and drops to 12 when im driving but when im in idle it drops from 14-10.5 while my kicker amp was dropping it down to almost 9 but yeah i get what ur saying i'm gona get a second battery soon before the HO alternator just to hold me over because im not gonna be keeping this vehicle for more then a year anyways

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10341
Well if you change your mind a high output alt from db electrical for your vehicle is only $199.00 with 105 amps at idle and 200 max. Granted thats not the best idle amperage but just showing you what you could get. Other places probably have higher output alts for not much more.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/db-starter-alternator/items/item.aspx?itemid=783842

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 962
Mainly because im not gonna be keeping the GMC Jimmy its going to my little brother and with the battery i can put it in any vehicle and when i get a new car then i can look into HO Alternators

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10342
I understand the logic but if it was me id make sure the amp gains were set to a point where the battery voltage doesnt go very low in a worst case senario so that the life of them can be saved for the next install.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1455
9-10 volt drops can be detrimental to your equipment. When my memphis amps dipped into the 10.5 region one of them smoked. I've been careful not to go below 12.5 since then, but I'll warn you many amps start having problems or shutting off entirely much below 12v.

Basically it's a plug and play module. You fasten it to your vehicle, ground it, hook it to the + on the back of the alternator, and plug your factory plug into it. Really easy to install, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes I'd say. Try charging both batteries real good on a charger before hooking up that 2nd one.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 719
ya i am running it at .5 ohms
so idk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us