A couple final questions

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 137
I found some 1" MDF board locally to make my sealed box out of for my 12 w7. After all is said and done it will be 1.25 ft^3 inside. My first question is, since the front baffle is going to be 1" thick do I still need to double it, since everyone says to use a double baffle with the JL and also, since im using 1" to make the entire box, do i still need to do bracing. i plan to use 1" screws to screw down the sub and then 1 3/4" screws for putting the box together and using tons of super strong glue. any further suggestions or opinions are welcome. Also, after sketching up a drawing of the box, 1.25 ft^3 looks kind of small in reference to the sub. does anyone think 1.5ft^3 internal volume is better. my goal is to quiet down the sub a little since its in a ported enclosure now, but i don't want to totally deminish the sound of the sub. Thanks again for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 976
how much power?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8266
Why not just turn down the sub volume on the HU or the gain on the amplifier.

Or you could build a new box to try and make a sub quieter

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 138
500 rms from a jl 500/1. and everything is turned down. i cant express just how much bass this one 12 w7 is making in my car. i had to turn my 4 channel RF amp way up on the gain just to compensate for the sub so i could still hear the lyrics. what i dont like at all is i have no control over my bass. there is just one level and that is hard core. its nice to have that but i would like to be able to have low bass when im just casually driving around and then crazy bass when i want to show it off. my HU sub output is on 0 out of 15 and the db on the gain on the amp is turned all the way down. the bass on my deck is at 1 normally for rap songs and then 3 for rock. i figure with a sealed box it will give me punchier hits for rock music and then more of a variety of bass control when it comes to rap. if i want more bass i can simply turn up the HU sub output or turn the gain on the amp up a little.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8271
Wow thats the first I've heard of anyone having that problem.

It almost sounds like theres some kind of bass boost turned on somewhere.....

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 139
i found out something today that had never been an issue before. i guess it is because ive never ran JL amps before or somthing but i have an Alpine HU and on there as some of you may know there is a "MX" button. well, there is 3 phases of this and then completely off. ive always since ive ever used alpine decks over the last 7 years ran the setting on phase 3, which gives the most umph. now though, that setting is now too much. so i randomly turned off the effect today just to be curious to what it would do and to my surprise everything sounded perfect together. the sound from the speakers sounded even with the bass and everything meshed well together. i'm running it on phase 1 now to give it just a little extra but wow does it sound much better now.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1133
sounds like you need better mids and highs bud
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us