Need some advice.

Username: Killer832nasty

Westfield, Massachusetts United States

Post Number: 1
Right now i have A polk audio DB12 woofer loaded box. I've fooled around with subs and amps for about 3 years now. Not really having the best insight on them.

Im looking at buying Either a 15 inch Kicker L7.. or a Hifonics OLM-1615. I dont have a ton of money to spend, but around 300 bucks for a woofer. I've found that both the subs are around the same amount of money online. Think you could help me out?

Im also running a 1000 watt MONO kenwood amp, would I need to buy another one, or would it work for now..

Im looking for something louder, even though it bumps in my car as is

Thanks for your imput

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10196
What model kenwood amp are we talking about? And from your choice of the kicker l7 id say your looking for sql. (A mixture of spl and sq)

Post Number: 2
Its a KAC 8103D. Bought it last summer for around 200 bux

Whichever would be a better setup. maybe a new amp. or another of the same.

Post Number: 3
Would a Kac-9104d be a good choice?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10198
The KAC 8103D is rated 500 rms at 2 ohms according to two websites. So to run a sub like the solobaric l7 15 you wont have enough power but if you want something that will get loud on your power at the right ohm on your amp go with a single audioque sdc 2.5 15 for $184.00 shipped if you have the room. And as far as the hifonics sub id skip it.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Post Number: 4
You think that would be louder than my current setup though?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10210
Ill put it this way. It better be. haha Audioque is a sub company of digital designs who makes speakers with very good spl potential plus ive had experience with the audioque subs like the old audioque 2.5 12 and I know they get loud and have decent sq and ive heard the new hdc 2.5 subs that replaced them do as well. Make sure you have the room for one of the sdc 2.5 15's and if you do and you buy one prepare to smile.

Post Number: 5
aha well i sure damn hope ill have room. Im thinking about getting a box made from one of the better audio shops around here that do sick stuff..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10215
You could also build your own and spare yourself a ton of cash or have Phil cabinetry or Fisher customs build you one. They both build very good boxes.

Post Number: 7
i guess they do get expensive.. I wouldnt know where to begin on how to build a box. I mean ive got a bunch of tools and what not, but not rlly much of a clue. dimensions, port size, nothing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10219
We can help you with the port and stuff let me find you a tutorial on how to build a box.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10220
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8wSbEQy58q6/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers/box _building.html

My brother and I dont use terminal cups anymore we just drill a small hole and run the wires out and seal them up with silicone.

Post Number: 8
So im thinking, ive done a little reading and a box about 16" high 34" wide and "14 deep would be about 3.4 cubic feet. The woofer would be tuned to around 40hz i beleive if it were to be that size.. the box i have now that holds the two polk's is about that size so if i do make a box just like that it would work fine?

just im not sure if the 15 will fit into a 16 inch hight so im not sure what to do there..

Post Number: 9
ahah ohh man fisher customs, quoted around 190 bucks with shipping and carpet..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10223
Well check out the actual dimensions you have and if it doesnt fit firing forward we can fire it up. Do your seats fold down? Heres the specs of the sub keep in mind that 14 is the cutout for the sub to drop in so the surface the sub covers will be a tad over that.

15"
Fs 30 Hz
Qts 0.655
Qes 0.799
Qms 4.097
Vas 88.74
Le mH 1.88
Sensitivity 1W/1m 90 dB
Magnet Weight 140 oz
Coil Diameter 2.5"
Useable Throw 2.3"
Continuous Power 600
Music Peak Power 1200
Mounting Depth 7.5"
Circle Cutout 14"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well considering i didnt end up scoring that job. i went and looked at wood at home depot. is there special type or would reguler pressed fiberboard be good.. the only one i could find that was 3/4 inch there was laminated with white vinyl.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 993
MDF is what the vast majority of boxes are made with

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10235
Yeah 3/4 mdf is the stuff you want. It should be 22 to 25 bucks for a 4 x 8 foot sheet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
well at the homedepot right in westfield, they have non laminated mdf but its only 15/32"

The 3/4 inch is laminated white on both sides. you think the 15/32 will work just as well, its barely smaller than the 3/4 i think i might go buy a sheet tomorrow

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4210
Hey nate, I got a box you can have. It can be modified to fit your sub of choice. Also, i can get you a 15" hdc3 right now for 200. its a dvc 1 ohm, so you need something that will push like 900 or so at 2 ohms. btw, I got an amp that fits that too. $100 if you interested. Its the Kenwood x811.
Being local, you can save a few bucks on shipping if you chose to. let me know.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10251
Box wise Nate you need 3/4 inch not 15/32 thats less than a half inch which stinks. Hey Marc do you have the specs on that amp if Nate would be intrested in it because his current kenwood amp claimed 1000 watts and the true rms power was 500 at 2 ohms.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4221
model Kac X811D

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Car_Entertainment_Owners_Manuals/#_

at 14 volts
533 @ 4 ohms
919 @ 2 ohms
1016 @ 1 ohm

it puts out what it states.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well ive only got around 200 bucks to spend, so for the time being im just going to get a 2.5 15 and see what it sounds like with my current kenwood amp.. just bought the wood and going to start building the box tomorrow.. just trying to find information on building a decent port

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4223
this one pretty easy to follow.

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

and for the more advanced, some programs to DL.

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/software.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10258
"model Kac X811D

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Car_Entertainment_Owners_Manuals/#_

at 14 volts
533 @ 4 ohms
919 @ 2 ohms
1016 @ 1 ohm

it puts out what it states."

Yes it does. Would you sell it to me at that price shipped?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10260
Nate you can build a slot port and I can help you with that. Your going with the sdc 2.5 15 for sure right? If so ill work up a box for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hmm well thats def a sweet deal. How much would the price be shipped? would be interested!

Yeah. i figured id set the sub firing up unless it would sound better firing towards the rear?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10261
Nate I didnt mean to try to buy it from under you. I didnt think you were interested because you said you only had 200 to spend and that was for the sub but if your interested go for it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
aha its alright. Sounds like a good deal though, looks like a nice amp.

i was going to sell my DB12's for 220 bux and the KAC 8103D for around 100.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
alright well i got it where its around 30 Hz

says the port width is 3 inches, by 30, by 8 inches.. Think that will be fine?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4228
ya, I will let it go for that.

However, there is one thing you should be aware of.
When I bought it, I noticed it would not shut off. It looked like it was off, but it would drain my battery. I had it looked at and the ground and power solder traces beefed up, However it still drew when off. So the work around I use was to install a solonoid on the ground wire, run from a relay via the rem. It runs fine at 4-2-1 ohm, but it still need the solinoid or a repair if you dont want to do that. I have no problem with it that way. like I said it still works as intended. So if any ones interested I can do $100 shipped. Sean, you are localish arnt you? lol.
btw, I have all boxes and covers and stuff.

Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4229
well at the homedepot right in westfield, they have non laminated mdf but its only 15/32"

The 3/4 inch is laminated white on both sides. you think the 15/32 will work just as well, its barely smaller than the 3/4 i think i might go buy a sheet tomorrow

no, thats melamine. Stay away from that. they must have 3/4 mdf. Ask some one there. I buy stuff all over the state, and yet failed to see mdf at a hd.

and what sub are you using? you need to make the box to match the sub.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4230
well, as it turns out, theres some interest in this, so
1. Nate, yes or no.
2. Sean, yes or no.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
ahhh id say ill pass. dont really wanna deal with that.

I found some 3/4 inch in Westspringfield that'll probably work fine

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10264
I am interested in buying the amp Marc and I was thinking of running my juggernaut 12 off of it but im not sure that amp can take .70 ohm mono since my voice coils are 1.4 ohms each haha. Will I have to get my own solinoid if I buy this amp from you Marc?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4231
well, I can throw that in as well.
$120 shipped for the amp, & 'noid,
Also, I wouldnt run it below 1 ohm. Idealy it should be planned to run at 2. 900 at 2 is about the same as 1000 at 1. byt either way.. let me know.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10269
Well the more I thought about it this amp just wont work because I figured if the amp puts out 900 at 2 and 1000 at 1 then the amps getting maxed out as it is so I dont really want to push my luck at .70 ohms. I guess what I said kind of says what you did so lets give someone else a shot at this amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Lol ive got a problem.. apparently to the RE enclosure calc. The wood i cuts only going to give me 2.5 cubes. Is that going to really matter that much? or did i kinda screw up

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10280
You dont want to tune to 30 hz id say no lower than 35 hz but if you want the most possible output we should tune it to 40 hz because thats where audioque intended them to be tuned. The box size will matter alot at 2.5 cubic feet considering that 15 should have about 3.30 cubic feet after the sub and port displacement. (The space they take up in the box.)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10281
Give me your demensions I can safely use (and get it in the trunk) and ill design a box for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
aha problem is i already cut the peices.. two 16x34 inches and two 14 by 34 inches

havent cut the end peices yet or did anything with a port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
trunk space

Around 40 inches wide.. ahh 18 inches to fit the box in and if needed through the car only 16 inches high

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10283
To make it easier on me what were the original dimensions of your box external wise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well lets see

ends. 15.5 high. By 16 by 16

length 35 inches long.. going to put the ends in half an inch to make carpet look a little better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10285
ok if im right and your demensions are 14 x 14.5 x 33.5 internal youll have 3.93 cubic feet before the sub and port. Are my dimensions right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Yes your are correct

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10286
ok if we make the port 14.5 high x 2.50 wide x 11.50 deep total including the .75 of baffle depth that will take up .29 cubic feet from 3.93 cubic feet gross bringing you down to 3.64 cubic feet minus aprox .15 for the sub displacement brings you down to 3.49 cubic feet this will give you a 40 hz port tune also. You will have 3.25 inches of clearance for your port from your back wall internal because of the extra .75 of the front baffle which is fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
This is a straight back port right, not like the RE enclosure sight with an L type port.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10288
Yeah straight back. Its better to have no turns if possible for the best spl potential.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Sweet deal, well im gonna try it out and ill get back at you sometime.. thanks for your help, much appreciated

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10290
Your welcome

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
whats the best way to sketch out the circle to fit the sub in?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10292
Ok measure your center point of where ever you want the sub to sit (doesnt have to be on the center of the box as a matter of fact put the sub on the farther side away from the port but not close to the wall of the box) and go 7 inches out (since 14 is your subs cutout size). And take a wood scrap of mdf and put a hole in it and use a screw or something to hold it in place at the center point. And then put a hole at the end of the mdf scrap at the 7 inch part of the circle. And put a pencil in the end and spin it around slowly and it will make a perfect circle.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4233
you gotta go 7" out from the center . That will give a total of a 14" radius.
otherwise good info.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17898
$10 at the depot. Works for up to 24".

Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4234
personaly, I like to use a paint mix stick. measure 7" on it, put a finish nail at one end into the center, then tap another finish nail into the 7" mark and scratch the circle in. Then use a pencil to darken the scratch. The paint stick is then used to mix bondo and spread it on the screw holes.
Yankee thrift.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
nicce it worked perfectly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10304
I guess you are saying you drew the circle with the scrap mdf like Marc and I suggested. If so im glad it worked for you. I was going to recommend what Paul showed you there because thats what my brother uses but I knew you were on a tight budget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
well ive got a few paint sticks around. It worked pretty good, i should have the box done pretty soon

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17919
If you only wood work sporadically cheap fits the bill. To me though $10 isn't much to spend for a lifetime tool.

Works well for drywall or on any surface for that matter.

On the flipside though I have a tripod laser level I have yet to use. Aluminum case, does horizontal and vertical lines. Perfect for shelves and wall paper.

Still in the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us