Brad, I need a home theatre system.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 6105
I'm trying to buy a home theatre system for my new apartment, but I have no clue where to start. I have a low budget of about 3-400 dollars. I'm lookin' for some Brad Warren advice. I don't necessarily need a receiver, but I would like one if it allows me to stay in my budget. Otherwise, I have a receiver that will do the trick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 633
What receiver do you already have? If you don't need a new one, it makes your budget much more worthwhile. Are you looking for stuff already built, or some DIY ideas (bang for the buck)?

5.1 or 7.1? Do you need a sub or do you already have one?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8567
Onkyo is probably the best bang for your buck in that price range Reece.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6108
That what I have looked at and have more or less decided on buying. I have an older Yamaha receiver from when they were supposedly "real nice". I don't want to use it really, but I will if I can get some better sound.

I'd like 5.1 sound and I don't have a sub to use in the home theatre. I would like to just buy a package deal if anyone has any good suggestions.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17812
Personally I never liked the "package" deals with surround. Yeah you get all the speakers needed and a cute little sub to go along with it but they never pack the "punch" I myself look for. Mind you I'm insane when it comes to punch in HT lol. My sub alone is 1000w. In a home that's quite plenty.

However for the run of the mill movie watcher those HT in a box deals are a decent value.

Just don't buy into the Bose bandwagon. They are a prime example of marketing over engineering.

Today's receivers are far more affordable than yesterday's. $200 can get you what you need/want. Another $200 in speaks and you're there. How old is the Yamaha? If it's not a "surround" receiver then you will have to replace it if you want true 5.1 or 7.1 surround. Think of the receiver as just as important to your HT as your HU is to your car's system. It's the brain behind the brawn. I've replaced speakers in my HT setup several times but still use the same receiver.

Brad is FAAAAR more knowledgeable in this avenue than I and should be along shortly.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8568
"Mind you I'm insane when it comes to punch in HT lol. My sub alone is 1000w. In a home that's quite plenty. "

This "punch" that you speak of is actually just your sub stage over-powering the rest of the speakers and eliminating any possibility of a flat response that is desired by many for a realistic or live listening experience.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17814
I don't care.

I'm insane remember?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1017
Sup Reece. I also use a Yamaha Reciever... this one.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200022

it does the job and I like the fact thjat it requries a powered sub...
Which Yamaha are you using?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17815
At 29hz it's not exactly destroying my listening experiences to the other freq's in my HT. It simply packs the punch when needed.

And then some.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1021
NICE!
<------- Jealous

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4473
Reece, get Athena speakers. They are what I use for my computer audio system and I highly recommend them. You know how critical I am about sound. Athena is part of the Audio Products International Corp. of Canada which is now owned by Klipsch and includes the Energy and Mirage (very highly rated) brands. Use the Yamaha receiver you have.

L-R: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

Center: http://www.infiniteelectronix.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3418

Surround: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

That comes out to $435 + ship, an unbeatable deal.

Sub (which will put you more over budget but you can always add later): http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASP4100B

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17817
Told ya.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6109
that would be sick, brad, but i'm muy impaciente and low on dough. i definitely want a substage in my system from the beginning. if i can get some funds i'd definitely buy your suggestion, as you have never done me wrong before.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8580
As important as it is skip the center stage and get it later if you're a bit low on the dough at the moment, that way in time you'll have a pretty decent setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us