OT: sketch craigslist

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 651
ok well i dont use craigslist very much but the following is happening... and it sounds pretty sketch.. what yall think?

1st thing sent to me
"Hello,
I came across your advert you posted on CL for sale, I'm really interested in buying it,Get back to me with the last price and probably with the recent pics,and i will be paying via Bank Certifed check. I will also need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the Bank certifed check .
1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential address
3.Your phone number.
4.Your zip code
**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have the check payment for the item
Awaiting to hear from you soon
Thanks "

so i sent back
"How about you call me tomorow. My number is 214 205 2604."

and he sends....

"i can call am deaf and i want you to gewt back to me with your full details so that the payment can be send to you soon ..bcs i realy love this item so much "

so i respond

""i can call am deaf " were you trying to say you cant call because your deaf?"

and he says
"yes i cant call am deaf so am ok with your asking price and get back to me ok writh now so that the payment wil be soon get to you "

so i didn't know what to quiet say... so i sent

"Ok well this is how I'm trying to do this, this computer is at a office in downtown dallas. If your interested you can come to the building to pick it up. We're not interested in checks, only cash. The building is very secure so you wont have any worries about anything sketchy happening.
"

what yall think?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 652
ha, never replied back to my last email. crazy people man...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4472
It's an old scam. This is what happens: They say they can't make it to your place to pick up the item and can only send a check. The check will be for a few hundred dollars more then your item costs. They will ask you to deposit the check in your bank and send them the extra money. The check looks legit and will make it past the teller but later when the bank tries to cash it, it will come up as no good. So you're out the extra cash you sent them + bank fees for submitting a bad check. There are many variations on this scheme and yours is a new twist. The biggest problem is these guys are in foreign countries like Africa where the police will not help us convict these people. The "mover" is UPS or FedEx, because they know committing bank fraud via USPS is a federal crime. But, the FBI and Secret Service has said "there is nothing we can do" in response to thousands of emails.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 316
some are like that.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3439
For someone who is unable to communicate as easily as most due to a physical impairment, he sure hasn't developed his other communication skills very well (i.e. typing).

With that said, it seems legit. I say do it.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 193
dude its not even worth it. i guarantee you'll find another person who would want it. clearly he wants your information for some reason. and that whole fraud check thing sounds like that is what this guy is doing. i say not worth it. or get some more info on this guy

Bronze Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 79
x2 Agreed^^

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1437
He can't type good because he's foreign. It's a scam, don't get caught bro.

lol, and if he's deaf I sure hope it isn't an audio related item.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2546
Yea that sucks. People are fu<king dumb. Here's a scam that I got in my email recently.

"Dear Friend,

I have tried to pay the delivery of your cheque.
Now I want you to Contact Fedex shippment company,
on this email address below and receive your compensation of $1.3m us dollars from them:
NAME:Dr.Raji Hassan

EMAIL:-(fdxshippmentco@hotmail.fr)
Tell:+229 98251199
Kindly reconfirm to them the below information:
Your full name.....
Your address....
Your country.....
Your Phone number......
Note:the only money you will send to the company is the security keeping fee of $98usd.Moreso,do not let the company know the content while contact them,tell their director that you want your laptop which i have deposited in their company. Note:iam currently away in Japan for investment purpose with my share and I will be busy till six months.

Best regards,
Dr. Ofor Balanji."

Aa you can see there are certain things in this email that clearly point out it's a scam. Like the "Dear friend" or the localized email account that anyone can use.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 653
lol yea, i just thought it was funny last night. It wasn't anything to do with audio... lol so he could b deaf possibly..

this is what im selling

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/796803394/vhb7k

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2269
F checks

Its a scam Id just leave it alone.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17811
I too was approached by someone selling a camper on craigslist. The price was so good I jumped on it. There were pics and everything. Selling for half the value.

Here's the kicker. The camper was in MN. He can only accept payment through "Propay" and he's in the Army and is about to be shipped overseas and needs this done quick. He says his brother is in the shipping business and will deliver the camper free of charge, to NJ!!!

I reply saying my brother lives in MN and would like to stop by and check it out for me. His reply was that this NEEDED to be completed today through Propay and he was lowering his price yet again! I told him I have cash in hand. No reply.

The very next day his ad was removed.

Scammer.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4179
scammers are funny. Great site of scammers getting owned.

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Snacks

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 91
funny how his initial email was typed using perfect grammar and spelling and the rest were like a 6 year old.

i got the same email :D couple days ago, just left it, obvious scam.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2137
Woah, Charles.

Your ad got PWNED!

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 989
that "deaf dude" pwned your ad. WOW! BTW. You being "racist" and all are definately in the right forum.. lol

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2393
Yep my lil brother posted some 12's solo baric the round once. He got the same massage i asked him to delete the e-mail.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1001
that's fu(ked up. Dishonest people suck at life!

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3441
I'd like to know how the hell your brother got a massage through an e-mail, and how I can get one.

Username: Kicker4l

Buffalo, Ny Us

Post Number: 7
Had someone pull the fraud check thing to a friend of mine, not over craigslist over some other site, it would have worked if she didn't catch what was going on she got a payment for 3000 dollars and the item she sold was for 300 he said he put an extra 0 and needed her to send the money back. She would have been out 2700 bucks plus bank fees. If you are questioning the transaction then I wouldn't do it. Only do it if you could trust the person.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 996
lol @ Charles' ad pwnd.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 657
thats f**ked up. but w/e honestly i'd rather be safe then sorry any day.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us