Maybe dumb but serious question

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 900
Ok im most likely gonna be getting a kicker sx1250.1 for a 15" RD Alpha in a few months or so the thing is i wanna order the amp now but right now i have 2 Dual 2ohm kicker 12" l7s and wondering if i use the sx1250.1 amp and wire it on the subs at 1ohm would it damage the kicker subs since the kickers are both dual 2. like what could or would happen

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1523
AQ1200D

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 969
with your L7''s VC configuration.. you can only wire them to a .5 ohm , 2 ohm, or 8 ohm load.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 901
alright so if i leave it wired how it is and get the sx1250.1 it would be .5 ohm would that damage the amp or subs like would the amp even work in .5 or would it go into protect

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1921
If you did wire to 0.5 ohm you take a very good chance in damaging your amp or alt/battery.

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 902
i think im deff gonna get the AQ2200D now didnt relize the price was so good so either way if i get this amp and wire it to the kickers the amp go to 4 2 or 1 ohm so i should still be gettin like 1300 watts of power for the kicker but when i get the alpha it will be 2200watts. Would i deff have to get a HO Alt tho i was tryin to not have to do that and if i set the gain low like ppl say they do isnt it a waste to have a powerful amp then cuz ur prob only getting half the power then. Is this all correct?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1922
That sounds like a plan! Run the AQ @ 2 ohms with the kickers, it should be enough power to move them to keep you occupied until then.

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 903
so when i do eventully get the Alpha and use this amp the AQ2200D am i gonna have to upgrade to a HO Alt not really trying to tho, i never used AQ amps so idk if they drain a lot of power like the kicker amps do like i used to have.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2125
The Rd 1750 or the AQ 2200 is a good deal.

There is a gain on the amps for a reason man. I thought we explained this to you in the other thread?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1923
You might be ok with running the AQ @ 2 ohms with stock electrical, depending on your vehicle. My AQ1200 (which is very efficient) ran just fine off a 105a alt/stock, not to mention your running your amp at a higher ohm load so the efficiency will go up.

Silver Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 904
ok well if i lower the gain wouldnt it only be like half the power tho or sumthin

Gold Member

Post Number: 2127
No chris,

The gain can be set to put out any power up to the rms of the amp.

What I would do, is set the gain with a dmm to the rms (or just do it by ear) and see how your voltage stays up. If it's dropping pretty bad, then just turn the gain down until your voltage stays stable.

Bronze Member
Username: Hondaracing

United States

Post Number: 22
why set the gain when u have a clipping indicator

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2755
if you are interested, kevin is having a great sale on RD Audio amps. Check that out too

Gold Member

Post Number: 2132
"why set the gain when u have a clipping indicator"

Not all amps have a clipping indicator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us