Just Bought A CRX Si, Help Me with designing system

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 407
Hey guys, was looking at blazers, s10's but came outta the hole with a 91 crx si for 400 bucks, body is in good shape (bit of surface rust on hood) has a few aftermarket parts, just want this mainly to be a loud a** car for crusing, i have been talking to kevin, and hes gonna hook me up with a rd3250.1 and we were both thinking 2 15" sonances, will these subs be able to handle that much power, of course i will back off on gain a bit, but when i want to crank it, will the subs be able to handle them they are now rated 1000 watts rms, what is the best type of box for a crx? walled or subs up port back or something? pictures of some crx setups would be great, all input would be appreciated, thanks guys

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10124
You have an excellent car for spl there. The style the crx is known for is subs up port back. As far as daily give the subs a 1000 or so each and turn the power up for spl burps at comps.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 408
ok, now what about my sub selection? sonances will they do? or should i jump to alphas? will it be a huge difference?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10126
Go with what Kevin recommends if your going with rd's. But as far as short burps at comps your power from the 3250 should be good.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2586
a pair of alphas on that 3250 will get very loud .. im running one off a sundown 1500 and it slams ...

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 409
i think i will go with the sonances, kevin seems to know alot abour rd audio products, should be a good setup, and advice, o and im looking at fatmat similar to dynamat on ebay 130 bucks for 100 sq feet, should i get that and do the whole car, also what do i do to my hatch to prevent it from popping or flexing too much since the subs are up and ports back?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10127
The thing im concerned about is the alphas need more power so there going to want more to get loud daily. And the bl is actually stronger on the sonance.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 410
yeah for sure, alright ill stick with the sonances, any other recommendations to do to my crx? is the fatmat a yes or no?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10128
You dont necessarily need to use deadening but it will help. Get the electrical covered also.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6630
CRX?

4 12's.

You will have to play around w/ a few boxes though. Try sub up, port back...and sub forward, port back.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1755
Nice!

I have been looking at little hatch backs as well (CRX's and Golfs) as I want to try 2x15's or maybe 2x18"....nothing for SPL comps just loud a** daily.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10129
If your doing anything other than subs up port back your going to want 12's instead of 15's to get under the window line for comps. As a matter of fact make sure you have the depth needed to stay under the window line with the subs you choose even going subs up port back. Remember the port in the depth issue too.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 411
i am going with 15's for sure, no doubt about it, i think im gonna go with sub up port back, or wall it lol, that would be loud in that lil crx

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2588
walls are a waste of time

sub up port back let her rip

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5370
don't use deadener on a rex for spl.. leave it bare

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 412
alrighty, so subs up port back it is,

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2236
The new Sonance are beast. We don't recommend a 3250.1 on them daily, but we have a customer running a 3250.1 on 2 Sonance 18's in a box tuned at 38hz and doing a nice 154+ :-). Of course on daily you will need to be conservative with the gains, but at a comp put the power to them and burp away :-)

We may set you up to D2's and run you at 2 ohm daily and throw it down to .5 for a burp.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3743
what vehicle is that in kevin? any vids of it? legal TL dash? thats a very good score

the cisco kid

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1694
I wouldnt do 15's.

Bronze Member
Username: Kenny_coleman

Post Number: 46
^^^^^^x2

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 940
go with the 12's Chris

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10138
Yeah go with the 12's it gives you more options.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 413
i will in my next setup, i still have to do a system when i get my blazer, ill do 4 12's in that

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10161
Well double check the subs depth measurements if you do the 15's. And like I said dont forget the port as well in the depth. If you have enough room you can only get 15's in under the window line if you put them in tubes from what ive read. I didnt ask my brother the measurements of his window line in his crx he has a 91 si also.

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1695
Cris. Your making a mistake by going with 15's.
If 4 12's is to much money right now then go with only 2 12's for now. The 2 12's will be plenty loud and it will allow you to expand the system without having to buy different subs.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

seriously, go with 2 12's.

I can build a CRX with 2 12's that'll be as loud as a typical 4 15 set up!!!!

Dude, I cant say it enough, go with 4 12's.

The 4 12 box would be very very small to, smaller than a 2 15 box.

All of your factory panels will stay in, no cutting, no problems, just a little ol 4 12 box barely big enough the 4 12's dont touch gasket to gasket.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2098
I don't think Chris is looking for SPL lol...it sounds to me that he just wants a loud daily.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1507
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/talon0001/?action=view&current=Picture01 5.flv
this is 2-12's

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10163
I get the feeling too that he only wants to set up for daily Nick but with that car your just know hes going to end up at a few spl comps haha. Why not get the best of both worlds loud daily with the potential of loud at comps. So like Zac said (and hes a record holder with this car I believe) go with two 12's expanding to 4 if you need it later and you could do both. Watch Scotts video full screen youll see the windshield flex and the sunroof. haha

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1696
Mid 150's can be done with only 2 12's. Thats plenty loud for any daily system.

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2628
Chris, you have Zac, an experienced competitor, trying to give you advice. I would HIGHLY recommend listening. JMHO

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2629
Sorry to those my post may have seemed to belittle...the other men recommending the 12s know their sh*t too!

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2106
Yea Zac, I have a feeling you know the secret to doing 150's daily in a crx.

Listen to us, Chris lol.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8555
Zac's CRX is so loud I actually shi± in my pants when he burped it. It felt good though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10167
"Yea Zac, I have a feeling you know the secret to doing 150's daily in a crx.

Listen to us, Chris lol."

Im sure he does.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 416
Ok i guess i will be going with the 12's, should i save to get the 4, or just get the 2 when i get the cash? and zac can u shoot me an email so we can talk, chrismakell1@gmail.com

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10216
That was a good choice going with the 12's. Its up to you. Just plan ahead and make sure you have the amps that you will need to go with 4 subs from 2 subs if you do it that way. Also make sure you have the electrical support covered for whatever you choose to run.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1516
if you want spl help hit me up i can give you a few pointers

Username: Ryan_grubbs

Newnan, GA

Post Number: 2
People here in general are more helpful than at CA.

Anywho, listen to these guys. If you want my personal opinion

Build up your electrical

And run four Sonance 12's at .5 on a 3250.1

IIRC they dont call for stupid huge ported boxes either :-)

That'd be my vote. Best of luck to ya buddy

Username: Ryan_grubbs

Newnan, GA

Post Number: 3
And Zac does seem to know his stuff

You could do two Alpha 12's in a solid box and get up there in a CRX possibly.

I cant help you with box design, not my thing whatsoever

I still personally think the four sonance 12's ported would be a more interesting ground pounder though

Just my opinion, best of luck to you sir. You'll be happy with whichever way you go

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 418
i just came acoss a couple 12" elite spl's and 2 3250.1's should sound good :-)

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1542
i put them in the daly box today i was suprised at how good they sounded but with the 2spider i expected that rather then the 3spider

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 423
haha scott i cant wait, i one of my amps today, and some guy called about my truck, so im gonna let it go for around 2500 bucks so ill have the cash soon i hope, anyway i can send a deposit?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1544
if you want to send a deposit thats fine. paypal will charge a fee tho. let me know then. oh and i checked ups on shipping one amp and they said 80.00 that seems a little high?

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 424
yeah that is a bit steep lol, ok ill see what happens this week dude, if i send you a depoisit, enough to put towards your new amp, could you hang onto the setup for a bit longer for me?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1545
sure i can

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1702
I've got a system for sale for a CRX, its has 4 dd9512's with carbon caps, 2 modified MMats amplifiers, the 4 12 box, and all the tricks on how to position everything in the car.

This system was used to win USACI World Finals Championship in Pro-Stock at 160.0 db and is still current 0-1000 World Record holder.

The two amps can be swapped out for one large amp to fit in the new 0-600 class since only one amp is allowed.
I have used 1 DDM3 with minimal testing and was up to low 159.

This system is ready to go to world finals, do you want to buy it?

BTW, anybody can buy the best of the best, but without knowledge on how to install it, your score will still be low.

And I'm not talking about how to build a box haha, no no, how about tuning the box an octave above your car's resonant frequency and understanding how the note changes as the power increases all the while calculating impedance rise.

Even still, having a world class car ready to play doesnt mean your guaranteed to do big numbers.

Moving your box left to right or front to back only inches can be the difference between 1 to 2 decibels.

Positioning your body inside the car, moving the seats front or back, haha, there are many things that I have found over the years of testing in CRX's that make your score go up.

Anybody who wants to buy this system is welcome to ALL of these secrets I've accumulated.

I'll sell all the tricks, the 4 custom built 9512's, the box I used for the World Record, all the wiring, the batteries, the amplifiers, everything you need...for a sweet price.

Call me if your interested. 608-365-3500
Anybody who isnt serious please don't waste my time asking questions.
I spent thousands of dollars, hours n hours of testing and tuning to get this car to this level.
If you own a crx, let me know, I will make it loud, ahhh, for real loud!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8616
A little off topic but...that sunroof in your SI is going to leak pressure big time =/

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1703
Si's are louder Rob

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 426
how zac? like louder because of the sunroof?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10298
No I think Zac misread the post. What Rob was saying is because Scott has a sunroof hes going to loose potential spl from the pressure escaping the vehicle.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 430
o yeah thats true

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1704
I didnt misread the post.

CRX Si, with sunroof, is louder than a crx without a sunroof.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10302
Ok I stand corrected.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 433
reason behind that zac? and i always wondered if it would be louder with the sunroof open or closed?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8621
It's kind of like running outlaw, you crack the door open and the change of airflow will give you a better reading on the meter. This only works to an extent to my knowledge because if you leak too much presure you'll more than likely lose SPL. All the extreme cars are sealed up like bank vaults to avoid leakage.

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1705
Nope, wrong again haha.

I dont want to give away to many secrets here but for this one I'll just say one word, RIGIDITY.

:P

(btw I still owe you money Rob, call when your comin back up to the shop)

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8622
I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my sunroof and the gear/motor assembly for weight savings. They often fail to operate properly even though mine is still working alright. I guess the sunroof braces the roof from all the roof flex, I must say it is kind of annoying though when it rattles during daily driving hitting smaller bumps but I hear tons of rattles all the time anyway since it's gutted. I may buy another CRX for messing around with SPL wise but I don't want really want an SI for several reasons. I have enough CRX parts laying around at home though =/ If I get another one I'll be on my 4th CRX.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us