Just a Teen Looking For Advice

Username: Meatypeaty

Liberty, TX United States

Post Number: 1
im 17 and take pride in my car and love music with lots of bass the car a bought (1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee)has stock sond system all speakers and the head i went down to a local car audio place and found a nice head for 169 its a pioneer (i didnt buy it yet) and i was thinking bought buying 2 12" subs and a box to put them in the guy that worked there told me for the head box amp (a 1000 watt amp) the two JL 12s and the instilasion would be $800 (like 794.98 after tax its what ever) so i need some advice am i forgeting somthing? is the things i picked out wrong? and should i replace all the speakers in the doors etc. thanks this is my first post i hope this is an active forum

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1100
whats your budget? do you have any electrical upgrades/or will you make some? do you just want loud bass (spl) clean bass (sq) or lil of both (sql)? are you going ported or sealed?

Post Number: 2
see thats what im talking about i dont really know what the difference is in the spl and the sq or ported and sealed thats the box right but how does it sound? and as far as upgrades i thought that was the instalation? and my budget is around $1000

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6615
What systems have you listened to that you liked?

What music do you listen to?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6616
Also, what where the model #'s on that '1000w' amp and JL subs?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17743
If you're that green about it don't take advice from someone looking to profit from it. Not all install shops are out to run you dry but a lot are.

Upgrades can mean some $ into charging and possibly the big three. With your budget you probably won't need it. If you have any basic carpentry skills that can save you some money by building your own box.

As far as subs it depends on your preference in what you're after. You want thump only? Thump with some sound quality? More clearly defined bass intended for sound quality? That will determine your target driver and install.

You have some decisions to make.

Post Number: 3
first things first im glad this forum dosnt fail like others ive been too and to answer Canaan i havnt really listened to any particular systems and i like all kinds of music reall techno rap icp (they deserveve their own catagory) old rock new rock etc etc but hardly ne country and i dont know the model #
now to answer pauls questions i dont really have the skills i think and i find it eaiser to let them do it so i dont skrw it up i really want alot of thump to tell you the truth and farther down the road i think ill upgrade the in-door speakers so thanks for the advice so far and keep it comming p.s what did you mean by charging and big tree

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17744
Your alt and wiring between the battery/alt/chassis.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6617
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=2

Go to JL's site and look at the subs.
Tell us what sub they shop quoted you on.

And, what brand name was the '1000w' amp?

You actually have a pretty good vehicle for car audio. 2 nice 12's in a nice ported box will get quite loud in it.

Post Number: 5
they didnt tell me the brand of the amp sorry and the subs were like 80-90 $ ea so are yall saying i should do a self install or pay for it? and thanks this is alot of help

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 10162
Pete, first off bud, how much do you want to spend on a system for your Jeep? Are you looking for SQ (sound quality), SPL (loud with poor sound quality), or SQL (mix)? Size of subs you prefer? How many? How much room you willing to give up? Your looking for a complete system with head unit, speakers, subs, amps, etc right? Typically, a sealed box will yield better sq while ported will yield an increase of ~3dbs in theory. But that doesn't mean a ported box can't sound good. A nicely built ported box can sound just as good as a sealed box....but box type can be determined after the subs are picked out unless of course you have a preference. Honestly, don't buy from a shop. They will push their "product of the month" and will charge quite a bit of money as opposed to online companies who make just as nice of products but for cheaper.

Just answer those questions and we will be happy to help you out with a nice system in your budget bud.

Post Number: 6
to tell you the truth i really want loud but i dont want it to sound like $hit i wann get 2 12s cause it seems so be in my budget (1000$) and yes i have all stock including head so i need that too so 2 12s, box, amp, head, instilation whats yalls suggestions in brand names etc. and i really am green to this so self instlation might not be the best idea thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3802
2 SDC2.5 12" or 1 HDC3 12" on 1 AQ1200D

http://www.audioque.com/aq/index.htm

Do the install yourself its not hard and once its done YOU can say I did that.(and save lots of money)

Post Number: 7
is aq a good brand?

Gold Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1106
id deff not skimp on the head unit that plays a big part in your music not sounding like crap not to meantion functionality. id buy a good hu then save up again for subs. id do 1 15" or 18" over 2 12"s anyday but thats just me

Gold Member

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1107
aq is a great brand from what ive heard never heard a system in person but lots of people on here love them deff better subs than the one your lookin at. also btw with stock electrical you dont wanna go over 1200rms

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinhigh11

Post Number: 89
I just recently put my AQ SDC2.5 15" and my AQ1200D in. It sounds awesome it gets really loud but also great sq. I never installed anything before, but I read up and got some help from sean on here and its actully very easy to set things up. The customer service is great with AQ also. Fast shipping and the products are safe with great pakaging. Also Dj at AudioQue is a great guy and will help you with whatever you need

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10089
It looks like he has a 90 amp alternator in that vehicle and he needs some of that for his trucks basic electrical needs. I think one audioque sdc 2.5 15 is what he should go for. That would give him decent spl and still keep him in the safe zone with his electrical. Just make sure its a class D amplifier for efficiency.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1492
i will agree on the aq 1200 amp but disagree on the aq sub the type of music he listens to needs a broader range. i would rec. the dc lv 4 15. with that vehicle the 40-50hz is going to be omg loud.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10090
The dc sound subs will also work and will probably have more low end but I would suggest one level three dc sound 15 because of the electrical.

Post Number: 8
i have almost no idea about alot of the stuff you all are saying sorry i try to do alot of research by myself so i dont come of as a complete idiot so thanks for all the advice so far i found out today its hard to understand ohms and watts and the subs watss and etc. so what is yall recomendation for my car? i really want alot of bass (thump whatever you want to call it) ive been meaning to up grade latly and i got some money saved up finaly to do it so if you could pleaase tel me a sub+amp combo that work well together so i dont skrew nething up thanks p,s if you could pleas recomend things that i can get at a store like best buy ect. i live near houston so theres alot of specialty stores that i might be able to find some of this stuff its just i cant really buy stuff online THANK YOU SO MUCH

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1497
http://www.dcsoundlab.com/contact.html
2 dealers in texas and audioque is online only

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 304
If you buy online you will save a ton of money. Stores like Best Buy only have the lower ends of larger mainstream brands like Alpine or Pioneer at jacked up prices. Look around at car audio stores to get a good idea what you like but make sure you do price checks online before you buy. Be very careful with what they tell you because about 50% of it will be bs. There is no reason to pay a lot to install subs, its easier than you think. As far as I know you wont be able to find many of the brands we tell you in local stores in your area, but there are many other great brands you can find access too. Depending on what exactly your looking for hear are some DD dealers in your area you can check out.

Stereo-Efx
10206 N. Finy
Houston
TX 77037 US
URL: www.stereoefx.com
Email: stereoefx@sbcglobal.net
Tel No: 281-847-2277
Fax No: 281-260-9445

38.09 miles

X Treme Audio
2920 Fannin St
Beaumont
TX 77701 US
Email: xtremeaudio81@sbcglobal.net
Tel No: 409-813-8110
Fax No: 409-813-8117

40.96 miles

Sounds & Signals
247 E Nasa Round 1
Webster
TX 77598 US
Email: billsns@aol.com
Tel No: 281-332-1555

42 miles

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1498
dd works also fyi pete dd (digital design)
is the big brother of aq

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10091
Just so you know Pete both dc sounds and audioque are from the manufacture not from some ebay store or something like that. So you have nothing to worry about buying from either company online but I believe they both also have telephone numbers you can call.

Post Number: 9
this is getting complacated for me im pretty sure the ppl at the local store are tryin to skrw me i looked at some jl 12" w3v2 they said they were 182 ea and the whole amp things is way too confusing i cant figure out what wattage refers to wat and ohms i had no idea you had to hav a masters in electricty to up my bass can some one tell me what amp would go good with 2 12" jl w3v2 subs and are they skrin me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
EDIT: sorry they are 12" JL W3v3

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10092
Pete take a deep breath and relax for a second. If you take your time and listen to us you be a lot better off than buying local.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10093
ok let me check something out. I might have two more options for you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
lol yea i feel like its alot of pressure if i dont buy the right amp it will A:sound crappy or B:blow the amp/and or subs AHAHAHAHAH

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10094
Well the other two options dont fit the bill power wise so they are out. Is there a reason your looking at jl? Because thats not loud per say its more along the lines of sq (sound quality).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
idk cause thats what the ppl down the road suggested.. like i said im a sucker what do you suggest p.s the local pawnshop has some subs in boxes yes no? just wondering

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10095
ok id probably stick with the dc sounds level three 15 and a audioque 1200d. So you have room power wise should you decide to upgrade.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10096
That will keep you safe on the electrical support alternator wise. We will help you set the gain.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 307
Prefab boxes (or any box not built to the specs of your sub) are not the best option, but for starters its fine to buy one and save up for a custom box or build your own. Try not to spend more than 60 on a prefab though. It only cost about $30-$40 in materials to make a box. Their are many box builders on this forum so ask around and you can find an affordable buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinhigh11

Post Number: 92
You will be happy with that set up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
sean do you have links and pics of what you just suggested to me and do dealers usualy have those?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 308
Pete, just listen to these guys and they will set you up a system far better yet cheaper than any local dealer would. Cut out the middle man, such as your local dealers, and buy direct from the manufactures. JL audio is a good brand, but for the same price you can find much much better than some W3s. Go with one 15 like Sean said. Regardless of the brand, a 15 is going to be loud.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10098
Yeah. And dont let those local guys talk you out of it. This is not junk.

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/level3.html

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/images.html

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

audioque order form

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10099
These are the guys who make these brands and they both have good customer service.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
okay so what your saying sean is i should get thes level 3 dc its a 15" right? and then get this aq amp right? how much is the speakers and where can i find them p.s this set up would be louder then say 2 12" insignas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10100
Yes get one dc sound level 3 15 and the audioque 1200d. The dc sound level 3 15 should be around 200 plus shipping. I dont know anything about insignia subwoofers but I know the dc sound subs can get loud. My brother runs them in a level 4 version and I stepped you down to a level 3 because of electrical limitations.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10101
email rusty to get a price and you can order direct from him.

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/order.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks for all the help people and sean you helped alot

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10102
your welcome

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
p.s im going in to the navy soon (IT) so my dad convinced me to just buy a deck for now then when i go on leave or after i get my signing bonus to buy the subs bu i hope to stay an active forum member so ne suggestions for heads?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10103
Do you want one that plays dvd's or a standard deck?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
you know dvds would be crazy cool

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10104
Hey I have to leave maybe someone else can help. What is your price range?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
idk really depending on features im guessing no more than 500

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 197
I would suggest scrapin up $180 extra and getting this for $680

http://caraudioclassifieds.org/index.php?topic=157.0

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19776

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
im thinking bout this one
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/AV-Receiver s/AVH-P4000DVD?tab=A

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10107
I think thats the model that replaced my brothers pioneer dvd unit. The older ones had rca issues. Let me get Chad Lee to check this out and tell you if its ok he has or had one of the pioneer dvd units.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
amazon has it for 388$ free shipping http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001604QGW

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10112
We better make sure you have the double din slot for the dvd unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
p.s sean if you could could you see if its compadible with my 1998 jeep grand cherokee? thank you

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10113
Bad news it looks like you have a single din location and if thats right the unit you listed wont fit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
you got to be kidding me nooooooooooooo seriously? this sux how do i know for sure?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10114
It didnt come with the infinity stock stereo did it. Tell you what just to be sure call crutchfield they have a toll free number and they will make sure im right. Ask them the depth the unit can be also.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_168550/In-dash-DVD-Receivers.html?pg=2&showAll=N&se arch=car+audio&tp=75

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
how do i know if its infinity? all my speakers say infinty gold does that mean i have infinity?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
i cant have a screen that is motorized like the ones that go out and then come out cause my das extends over my deck god nothing works out for me

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10116
haha bummer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
so thers no way to get the pioneer 2 din in my dash?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10118
Like I said im not 100% sure im right that its a single din but if your dash comes over the radio im not sure you can go with a dvd unit. It depends how things are dash wise. Thats why I said call crutchfield they will tell you whats up but make sure they know about the dash.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6537421

how bout this one?
good brand??
its a single din

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10120
No vr3 is not good. Call crutchfield to make sure on things first.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
i just called just as i feared undoable however this will work
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KD-AVX11-Vehicle-Multimedia-Receiver/dp/B00158SHXI
how you feel about this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8585672

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1431
No pete ! and if you go to walmart .com i'm gonna drive over and slap you. heres some narrowing down for you. for a decent headunit take a look through onlinecarstereo.com , look at the brands such as clarion, alpine, pioneer, next u will NEVER fit a double din radio in ur jeep without a custom dash install. u have to find a single din flip out. i know duel, alpine and clarion make them. take a look on the site i poste above but if u can stay away from duel, thier a budget brand. and yes infinity gold is still infinity meaning u have to bypass or wire into a infinity amp to make the system work properly.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1462
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_168550/In-dash-DVD-Receivers.html?showAll=Y&search= car+audio&tp=75

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1463
Sh!t, nvm that link. Sorry.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1464
If you can spend a little more on a DVD receiver and want Poineer, I'd go with this one. According to Crutchfield it should fit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=Y&g=168550&i=130AV HP500&search=car+audio&tp=75

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
thanks for the help guys but i was going to get the http://shop1.frys.com/product/5400809
but my local dealer charges 399 with free instalation but i think like a 40$ amp bypass and frys charges 299 with a 80 instalation plus 60$ amp bypass this is useless

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1435
if u want simple lets do it like this. research "metra" wiring harness if you pick one of those up and bypass the amp. use a dash kit heres how it will all go down for you. you remove the stock radio by most likly dissassemling the dash, use the dash kit to bolt onto the existing dash and give a good place to mount your dvd unit cradel. after all this slide ur cradel in and bend the locking tabs outward. next step get your metra harness, you literally plug your metra harness into the stock harness. after you do this you plug into the radio, now slide theradio back into the installed cradel and your done. other then bypassing the amp, also to anyone else reading fry's he's refering to is like our best buy.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 935
Pete... I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4.. I wasn just passing through Liberty yesterday. Had I seen this thread before. Iwould have tried to make arrangments to meet up with you. sorry. If I private message or email you,my phone #, will u call? BTW welcome to Ecoustics. I love the JGC's they are very nice for car audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
its looking out to be about 450 for the deck and install/bypass worth it??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
bought it and love it my cousin told me bout a flee market with primo subs for cheap next trip :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us