Rear batt. instal ?

Username: Ic3laxer

Post Number: 3
I have a 1000w amp for my subs a 500 for my front speakers the rear are running off the head unit. I purchased a kinetik hc2400 battery planing on having my entire car run off this, but it wont fit in my engine compartment so i'm just wondering if I have the bettery in my trunk and run 4ga wires to the the leads where my stock battery used to be would it work fine or what should I do? and will I have to get a new alternator? I think my 03 civic has a 70 amp. any other suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8089
An HO alternator would be ideal. But to install the second battery, get a 200+ amp isolator (in case you get the HO alt). And 0 gauge wire, NOT 4 gauge.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 274
"And 0 gauge wire, NOT 4 gauge" no definately NOT 4ga

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8090
Also I forgot to add, any time a 0 gauge positive wire connects to a battery you MUST have a 300 amp fuse in-line next to it.

Post Number: 4
what am i gaining or loosing from having or not having the HO alternator? will I hurt my car at all? and what does the amp isolator do why do I need it? I don't have my stock battery in my car anymore just wire to wire so will i need to put more than one fuse in the positive wire or two like there would be a second battery?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8092
So the only battery in the car will be the 2400? Then you don't need an isolator. But you MUST always have proper fuses, which with 0 gauge is a 300 amp fuse next to each battery + connection.

If you pull a lot more current than your electrical system can handle it can cause damage. 1000w is not a real lot though, and will that battery your stock alt may be ok. You will know if you need the HO alt if your voltage drops below 12 volts.

Post Number: 5
how will I know if it drops below 12volts?

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 276
using a digital multimeter or DMM

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8100
Or just watch the gauge on the dash if it has one. That won't give you exact readings but you don't need them here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us