Life of a sub?

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 295
A buddy of mine has had his Jl W1s for four years now and "the voice coils came unglued". The heat and humidity are really bad down here making it tough on subs however, his were in a sealed fiberglass box making it more resistant to the humidity.

What's the expected life of a daily driven sub?

I was thinking 5 years?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2348
It all depends on the person.

Bronze Member
Username: Ote888

Philippines

Post Number: 22
same as what happened to my kicker solobaric after 4 months of using..luckily i had my warranty claimed... and replaced a new one. i guess it always depends on how you use it..but it doesnt to be like that brah after all jl audio is one of the best manufacturers of sub woofers.. imho

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6434
i still have my very first subs, a pair of kicker impulse. bought them in june-july '96 and they still work fine. true they have only seen about maybe 8 years of use, but they're still holding up fine and play just as good as when i got them.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2355
Ben sub are like cars if you run them hard all the time sooner or later they will break.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 298
So anyone have experience with re-gluing the voice coils or is this to much work?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8086
Who wants to bet me it's the spiders that came unglued

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2293
im gonna agree with M.S.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 299
I haven't had the chance to look at the subs, my buddy just took them to a the shop he bought them at.

He says the subs keep cutting out on him on and off. I guessed it was his amp but they said it was the coils coming unglued..

Ill c if I can take a look at them before I guess whats really wrong.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3795
Running the sub(s) RMS isn't a bad idea if you don't know what your doing.

Make sure you are not clipping the sub(s).

Also put sub(s) in recommended box.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4725
I have a set of Genesis (sp) home speakers (8" with the green surrounds and octagon magnets) that where high fidelity for there time in my work shop still playing from 1977 on a Hafler 100x2(only thing my father gave me of value), they play great will never get rid of them... Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 190
the subs ben is talking about are two jl audio W0's in a custom sealed box in a crew cab 05 chevy 1500 on a jl 250.1 amp. It was all done by custom sounds. his subs will work for about 5 min like they were brand new but then stop working for a while and then come back on again. i checked the amp and the light on the amp turns off. It doesn't seem to me like there is anything wrong with the subs but when he went back to custom sounds they said his subs were messed up not the amp. custom sounds has been known for trying to rip people off and i think its clearly the amp. because i don't see how the subs would hit perfectly fine and then stop working if just the spider or voice coils were coming apart. =/

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 191
12" W0's **

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8101
Has to be the amp.... or the wiring or elecetical system. I have never seen a sub do that

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6608
It could be that the coil came unraveled.
I have seen it happen on quite a few lower level subs that have been installed for awhile. Infact, I have an Autotek SS12D4 in the back w/ just that problem.

It would play, but after a little bit it would shut the amp off.

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 302
Bradshaw, not that it matters but they are W1's, not the W0's. Did you all ever end up checking the coils or spiders to make sure nothings funky looking? If it is the subs I'm curious to try out the Fi X's in his box, they are only 6" in depth (the 12W1 is 130mm ~5inches in mounting depth).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us