OT: question about renting a condo..

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4857
I'm trying to get a place to live with my two roommates next year for college and it says the upstairs room is a loft room.. does that automatically mean there is no door for that room? because that means basically no privacy... or can they have a door?

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/apa/774154508.html

theres the link

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8426
Just imagine a giant one room joint. They suck IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4858
so from the listing you would say its just ONE big room upstairs? why would they they say a bedroom and a loft bedroom upstairs?

any other opinions?>

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4170
Its like a upstairs living room. Just space, no closet, door, nothing. Just a big room.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4427
I agree with Rob. Apartments and condos FTL. Especially since you guys will want to party. Get a house like one of these:

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/apa/776555242.html

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/apa/771181220.html

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17628
Lofts are intended as secondary space. They can have bathrooms and some privacy but are not for separation purposes. Most/all have railings over looking the main living room or family room.

And condos suck for utilities. My ex and I rented a 2 bedroom condo on the first floor and paid $750/month. (That was over 10 years ago). Everything was electric. Our electric bill was $350/month, for a 2 bedroom condo!!

I have a 3 bedroom rancher and pay on average $75/month each for gas and electric depending on the season.

Condos are only convenient for the landlords/owners.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 261
like brad said get a house.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8023
One plus with condos and apartments though is you don't have to take care of maintenance, yard, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8434
"One plus with condos and apartments though is you don't have to take care of maintenance, yard, etc."

No wonder you never get any action, you're so lazy you wouldn't even try to stick it in a woman if one ever did offer. It's probably 2 hours a week out of your time for maintenance if that if you're not a complete M.EAT S.UCKING scumbag who makes huge messes everywhere.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2573
im looking at buying a condo right now actually ...

just looking but i found a nice spot up here for 130k .. 2 bedroom 1 bath .. 1100 sq ft ... where i live its quite expensive for a nice place

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17637
My father kept pounding into my head. NEVER rent when you can own. That holds true with cars as well. (Leasing) anyway. Rent is money burned. There will be NO return.

And while I hate cutting my grass I simultaneously love it cause it's mine lol. With ever pass I think: this is mine and this is mine also as I cut lol.

Then the mower runs out of gas and my bubble bursts.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4685
lOl Paul, that is all true! I started to rent A condo in FL and when my HomeDepot stock flipped 3 times I turned around and cashed them in, bought the condo. The condo at the time I paid $125K for is now worth almost $550K. My house I live in Chicago is small 2200 sqft which I paid $365K cash for is now worth $625K. We have a summer cottage that has been in my wifes family since 1904 the land was pruchased for I think it was $12 back then is now worth land alone about $225K, this is just to show values and what you would be missing by renting. Now don't get me wrong there is a lot of expence in maintenance, our condo in fl was hit with a special assessment of $35K for balcony repair rebar replacement which is really popular right now. I pay taxes on all 3 properties and I won't get into the expense on that because you will all cry... Find a small house in an Ok neighborhood away from school (will be cheaper), ask for a record of the past tax payments and any future neigborhood upgrades like new schools and such because all that will mean the taxes are gonna go up. Hey also check out foreclosure properties right not they are hot and require little if any money down, with decent credit. Polo...

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8028
I like how rob always talks about for some reason he thinks i "don't get any action"... maybe i don't brag to people on an internet forum, but you're wrong lol.

Back to topic, there are also condos/apartments that are bought/sold instead of rented so you own it and can do what you want to the inside. And then you pay association fees for the maintenance and such, depending on the place sometimes they're not much.

Not saying thats better then buying a house and your own land but some people might consider it to be. Just putting all the info out there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17644
In my area a condo can go for $175,000+. I just don't see the appeal unless you're either too old/lazy for the maintenance, not there enough to keep up with the yardwork, or live such a quiet life that it doesn't bother you to live 3 1/2" away from your neighbor.

Not for me. Upload

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8032
And those are good points Paul but like I said I just wanted to lay out all the options. My Aunt & Uncle live in an apartment they own in a midtown Manhattan building. For what they paid and continue to pay they could be living in a mansion in the suburbs, but they love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Everybody has different tastes.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4687
Also remember renting a condo can come at a price! If the building is older and has problems assessments can put you in the poor house. There were several elderly couples who couldn't pay the special assessment of $35K and were forced to sell, these are fixed income people who are on there retirement. If you are in school you will have little to NO money, so if your building decided to vote that your building needs new windows, that'll easily but you in a bind. I like condos as long as they have a nice view in FL but honestly a small house would be a much better option. Think of it this way, put the house in your name, and dependant on how much room there is get 2-3 roomates but screen them first everyone has to be compatible... Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us