Questions for the Sub Guru's...

Username: Trevorradman

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 1
I have a few questions for the pro's... I just bought my wife an 04 Lexus RX330. I am molding a fiberglass box into an area behind the wheel well that will provide about .95-1.05 cuft of space(-sub displacement). I am hoping to find a 10" sub with <7 inches of mounting depth, that will take a beating from 600-1000 watts RMS. I have a Fosgate 500s that shows a birth sheet of 540 watts RMS at 4 ohms. Amp is not 2 ohm stable. Running this system off of the stock HU for now.

Question 1:
What is the best 10" speaker for my application? I want tight bass that goes loud. My speaker of choice right now is a Resonant Engineering SE 10" Dual 2 Ohm for $150 new on ebay. Will spend up to 200, but would like to stay around 160. My favorite sub is an eclipse Ti 10", but cant find one out there anywhere, and I'm sure there is something bigger and badder out there these days...

Question 2:
I am using the high level speaker inputs on my amp for now. Do I need to disconnect the speakers that I splice into, or can I leave them hooked up?

Question 3:
I have plans to mold a small plexi window into the top of the box, but only if I can figure out a LED solution. I would like the LED to go with the Bass. I have heard it is possible to wire resistors/etc into a circuit that will work off of the existing power going to the sub? I would also like to be able to switch this feature off under the dash somewhere. Anyone done this here? How would I go about wiring this?

Question 4:
My wife wants this to be removable, I would like a sort of 'Quick Disconnect' on the box. To make it rediculously easy for her to remove/install. I was thinking of having like a standard electrical plug she could easily hook/unhook, where she couldn't possibly screw anything up... ideas?

Thanks!
Trevor

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2217
the RE SE would be a good choice i have good experience with RE and no you dont have to disconnect the speakers that your splicing into

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6578
1:
The SE is a great little sub.
You may be able to look around and find a used Adire Brahma MK2 10", that would be more expensive though.

3:
There are a few companies out there that make sound triggered LED kits. You jusst run 12V power to them and the light when the bass hits. And, you can set the sensitivity.

4:
You can just put male/female spades on the speaker wire coming out of the enclosure.

Just have a Female on the Pos coming from the box and a Male on the Neg. Do the reverse w/ the wire coming from the amp. That way, you can't hook them up in reverse (out of phase) and they will be insulated.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 863
you can run a channel for the HU to a speaker and a high level input on an amp...

On the quick connect issue, are you wanting to remove enclosure and all or just disconnect power to sub?

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3779
http://audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/epic

email for best price sales@exigeaudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2044
Since everyone else has answered most of them, here's my go.

3. Making lights pulse to music is a good touch to a nice lightning system. http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/musicinterface.html
I run that myself and love it. I can adjust the sensitivity, turn the lights on and off, and turn the pulse option on and off by the little control box. Just run your light's + and - into the control box.

4. Do what Canaan said. The quick connect spades are very easy, and using that method you could never get them confused.

Silver Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 171
1. Look into the IDQ, im not sure how loud you want this setup to be but it is one of the best sounding subs out there and has amazing response at an affordable price, otherwise the SE is a safe bet unless you can find a TC-1000 or TC9 around that price. I know there were some OEM TC9s on another site a while back for about 150 each but im almost positive there gone now

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the super quick replies!

I've never heard of this Epic subwoofer, impressive specs, but $269 is more than I wanted to spend(I emailed exige for a quote). How does it compare to the RE SE 10?

That streetglow box looks pretty sweet! Whats the recommended "accent tube"?

I'll go with the spade connectors, but how do you think a residential plug would work, I sorta promised her she would have '1' plug to disconnect to remove the box, but she can deal with 2.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 3
Also, I checked on the Brahma, and was sad to see the Adire has closed doors. Hard to find even a used Brahma out there let alone a new one! I prefer new subs, you never know on used ones.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 867
"I'll go with the spade connectors, but how do you think a residential plug would work, I sorta promised her she would have '1' plug to disconnect to remove the box, but she can deal with 2."

tie-wrap them together

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2045
"That streetglow box looks pretty sweet! Whats the recommended "accent tube"?"

http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit

Those are bright, and you get two for like $11 shipped.
Oznium makes GREAT stuff and the customer service is fantastic. Check out a few other products of their's. You won't be dissapointed.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 4
I'm leaning towards the RE...

SE is 150, Epic is 220 shipped
SE QTS is .42, Epic is .34 - As I understand it, The SE may be more suited for the small enclosure.

Thanks for all the input!
Here's a shot of the box...
Upload

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3783
"I prefer new subs, you never know on used ones."

Always go new subs unless you know the person(s)beating on the subs. I learned the hard way.(clipping is the killer)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us