Capacitor question.

Username: Goldief550

Post Number: 1
I have recently had my stereo upgraded. I had a headunit, cap, amp and sub installed. I would like to clean up the installation. I am going to build an amp wrack and this requires me to disconnect the amp wires and cap wires. Are there any special precautions I need to take aside from obviously disconnecting the battery before I begin? Does the cap need to be discharged and or recharged before I begin? If so what is the best way for me to perform those tasks?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8395
A good way to clean up your system would be to take the capacitor out, it's not needed.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 254
ys, take the cap out. for starters......

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7991
Yep, cap doesn't do jack. It's primary purpose is to make money for whoever sells it to people who don't know any better lol.

Just disconnect it and leave it out.

Username: Goldief550

Post Number: 2
Good thing the installer forgot to charge me for it. Hehe. It is not needed at all eh? I have done installs in the past and found that my lights flicker. With the cap that does not happen. It is seriously not needed?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8004
If your lights dim a lot (a little is normal) thats a sign of an inadaquate alternator and battery.... sometimes a cap will mask the problem but it's not a fix.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 366
So M.S i believe hes asking since he got it for free if he should keep it in his system

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17609
There is no substitution for an inadequate charging system. The cap will actually draw power. They have (some) use but not enough IMO to warrant a purchase. To me a cap isn't even a bandaid but but a mask for a larger problem.

Read this. A VERY good thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/452834.html

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8007
I don't know that I'd say a cap "draws power". What it does is the same as a battery, stores power. It just doesn't store enough to make any meaningful difference.

If your lights dim a lot and voltage drops, either you alternator is not keeping the battery charged, or the battery cannot supply enough power fast enough, usually both.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17616
What I mean is that any electrical device requires some current to even operate. In a sense it's a battery charging a battery with the wires connecting everything applying more resistance.

The biggest confusion I see with ppl starting out looking at caps is that they somehow believe they produce power. Only the alt does that. ANYTHING connected to a system is only adding to the alt's demand. Batts and caps are nothing but storage devices. If you don't produce what you use you're doomed eventually.
, assuming you bump loud and long enough.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us