discuss

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8392
Lol, too bad that's not your car :-( Maybe one day your engine bay will look like that though :-)

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21929
lol yeah. i really want a turbo badly now.

no more car audio for me guys. its all about performance.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6406
no more car audio, are you nuts? but if serious, have anything for sale?:-)

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8394
Chad's going to end up dropping a sh1t load of money.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21930
lol ctmike. let me rephrase that. no more new car audio stuff. ima just enjoy what i have now.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8400
You should do it Chad, you'll have one sick accord. Remember that you may need some fuel upgrades though.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21933
yeah rob i think i will. next year though. gonna start saving up now. i think its going to run close to $8000 for everything that i want for the engine upgrade.

i also need direct port nitrous injection and stand alone fuel management.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7986
" no more new car audio stuff. ima just enjoy what i have now. "

It's the end of an era

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21934
lol

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2325
"ima just enjoy what i have now"

Wait what do you have? I thought you sold everything?

That would be a sweet car Chad. I want a supercharger on my truck.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5328
go chad go! lol

just went stage III on my subie.. here in a few weeks im going to go with some tgv deletes and meth injection.. prolly up the boost to 26psi on meth (=116oct) ... should make ok power.. shooting for 380-400AWHP so that would be 450-470BHP

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3235
"i think its going to run close to $8000 for everything that i want for the engine upgrade."

8gs for engine upgrades in an accord...I waste money on audio stuff but come on now... Think of what you can do with $8000 bucks.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21935
lol jake what can i do with $8000? lol.

btw guys we just had an earthquake here. i was worried that the parking structure my car is in might crumble down lol.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5329
aid it in the crumble.. take the insurance money and buy a new turboed car :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3236
Hah, who knows what the one and only chad lee could do with 8Gs.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8401
"i also need direct port nitrous injection and stand alone fuel management."

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21936
lol rob. i guess i've been watching too much fast and furious.

jake i wouldn't spend 8g one shot. it would be over couple of years lol.

kev i like my car.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21937
damn the my cell phone service is down due to the quake. this sux.

Silver Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 114
jack skellington if thats your subie then it looks real good and the first picture looks like it should be in a magazine or something its an amazing shot

Silver Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 158
if your dropping 8g why not do a v8 swap with something like the new dodge 5.7 (390hp, 407lb) im putting one in a Cuda this week and could help you through it if you need. I just figure it still gets great mileage with the variable cams turning off half the pistons when you dont need it and with no hastles and issues of turbos.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21939
i see what you are saying matt. good idea too. we shall see when the time comes. i wouldn't mind having a rumbling v8 in my accord.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 161
In all honestly a simple turbo would be the easy route, fast assmbly, no motor mount modifications, but once you get to freindly with that boost you will be putting so much work into that little motor, a stock V8 would just do the trick, plus plain and simple a 400hp hemi in an accord would just be sick as hell lol

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8402
Lol, that idea is nothing short of retarded. Putting a V8 into that accord would be just plain dumb.

Kevin, you better be careful if you plan on running that much power if it's still a stock bottom end but you should be fine as long as everything is tuned properly.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 162
Whats dumb about it? I have had a few customers do it and I have many more interested in it.

Maybe I'm not a huge fan of ridiculously high boosted cars, as the turbos wont live to see 10,000miles if your running 25+ PSI daily and most motors dont like to ever see six digits after that type of pressure unless theyve been carefully machined, which most are not. All im saying is its another option and in the long run it could be more more efficient, cheaper for repairs, and all around more impressive... but thanks for calling my idea retarded.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8404
Matt, it seems like you know a little bit but you have some things to learn.

"Maybe I'm not a huge fan of ridiculously high boosted cars, as the turbos wont live to see 10,000miles if your running 25+ PSI daily and most motors dont like to ever see six digits after that type of pressure unless theyve been carefully machined, which most are not"

It's not the amount of PSI that will harm your engine it's the power output. Take 25 PSI from a weed wacker size turbo and take a huge turbo from a monster diesel turbo setup and compare the PSI of the two, there's a big difference isn't there? Obviously the larger turbo is going to put out more isn't it? Anyhow, putting a V8 into that Accord would be an abomination of a car IMO.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 165
Thanks teacher

Heres a little lesson for you now, boost is measured as a constant value that occurs in the throttle body, there for 25psi is 25psi no matter what type of turbo it comes out of. I have a Ford with the 7.3 international and I have a Honda with a 1.5. Both vehicles are seeing roughly 10psi. Let me tell you the diesel turbo is about the size of the D15 but they both see the same amount of pressure in the block so your little rant was pointless and false.

If your ever in Wisconsin you can stop by my shop, I have about 40 muscle cars sitting in it and I do engine work daily, your right I am not a pro with turbos but I know enough about them to know whats right and wrong.I was simply stating in the long run that doing a high boost turbo on a stock block isnt worth the time and money and if your going to drop 8g why not make it on a one of a kind upgrade, I think Chad was intrigued by the idea so if you could... back off.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8405
"Heres a little lesson for you now, boost is measured as a constant value that occurs in the throttle body, there for 25psi is 25psi no matter what type of turbo it comes out of."

If you're measuring at the throttle body that would be correct but people put boost through their turbos as far as I have known and that's how a turbo is rated, by its boost range if I can recall correctly. How about you go and install that diesel turbo on your D15 and tell me it will still perform the same because it won't. Anyhow, your idea of putting a V8 is still and always will be retarded IMO, as stated that's MY OPINION and doesn't matter to anyone but I have the right to voice it. Back to what I was getting at...it's not the PSI from a turbo that will kill your engine it's the power output or the lack of a proper tune.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8406
Here... read and maybe you'll understand.

"There is not specific answer to "how much PSI will my engine handle"

14psi from a T25 turbo is far different from 14 psi of a T4 turbo.

Sure the PSI is the same but the CFM (volume of air) is different. The bigger the tubo the more amount of air it will push.

The correct question would be "how much horsepower can I make with my stock engine".

We will refer to the Honda B series today. The LS/GSR/B16. This excludes the B20 and ITR because they vary a bit from the more common honda engines. The ITR has a high compression ratio that suck for boost. The b20 has really thin stock sleeves because it's the only honda B series that has an 84mm bore.

The ls/b16/gsr engines can all handle @ 300 whp if they are in good condition.

Idealy the bigger the turbo you use the less PSI you have to run to make that much power. The smaller the turbo you have the more psi you will need to make that number. The bigger the turbo the longer it will take to make power. The smaller the turbo the quicker it will start making power but if you make it too small it will stop making power too early.

your turbo of choice will vary depeding on what you want to use it for. A street car wants to make power quickly but not too much power where it's not usable on the street. It's important to have alot of midrange power for a street car. A t3/t4 .57 trim is ideal for most street cars

a drag car or rally car will want more top end power since it will be in the upper rpms the entire time they are using the car. Here a t4 turbo may be ideal fo you.

an auto x car does not see very high speeds, here you want to make power very quickly in the low to mid range and you want to do it without too much torque. Too much torque out of a FWD and you will loose control everytime you start to accelerate out of a turn.

The LS engine performs a bit differently than the GSR or B16 engines. It does not have VTEC. It also does not rev as high. With the LS you will only be reving to @6K.

With the GSR or b16 you will be reving up to 8K. With the GSR or b16 you will probably want a turbo that will make power a bit longer than the LS.

The LS also has lower compression that the b16 and GSR making it a little more ideal for boosting.

However, as with any engine, the more efficient an engine is before adding a turbo, the more power it will make after it's turbo'd.

The conditon of the engine and quality of the tune will determine just how long the engine will last.

The weakest part of a honda engine are the cast internals.

Honda cast internals were not designed for the temperatures that are caused by a turbo. The excessive heat causes heat expansion.

Hondas also have floating sleeves, another weak point of the honda engine but stock sleeves have been successful on over 600 whp engines. It's all in the tune. The idea is to keep cylinder pressure down and tune her safely so there is not pre detonation." -Quoted from http://www.postgamepub.com/automotive-forum/10215-how-much-psi-will-my-engine-ho ld-a-common-newb-question.html

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8407
That should clear up any BS that was posted by me or Matt in this thread :-) There's a lot more to it that I've read and is published in many, many, many books but all the info needed was found there so I just copied it instead of writing my own book.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 166
better idea, instead of dealing with all those problems, just drop in a 5.7 hemi

jp with ya rob but thanks

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21943
like i said guys, i won't be dropping 8 grand at once. it will take me a couple of years of upgrading to do that.

i am not looking for alot of boost. just a bit more than stock. besides its mainly for the turbo blow off valve sound. lol.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8410
Yea, I'll be dropping 4k at a time into my engine and turbo setup. My turbo setup will cost me around 4k itself and my bottom end build up will be about 4k also and then I need to get another ported and polished head which will cost me 2kish

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 167
My top mechanic does great turbo work if you live in the region, he built up his cavy. Its an 88 with a 3.4 bored out to 3.8, polished, kryofroze, ls1 springs and valves, and a custom turbo kit with piping he made on a machine at his school. Im more of a muscle guy but I have to say 750hp out of a cavy and its running low 11s right now on street tires, for him to only be 20 and do all the work himself it is pretty impressive and he builds some sick turbo kits here for us.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5331
rob the lower end will hold up fine unless i run something huge like a 35r.. which some people still run on on the stock block.. thats the plus to having a car already turboed from factory since you have room to upgrade without rebuilding the lower end

chad i'd say you be safe 7-8psi, just do some researching on whos done a turbo swap on your accord without a motor rebuild and see what they have run and what problems they ran into.. im sure your on some kind of accord forum?
ive considering throwing my oem turbo off my subie onto the b18 in the rex :-) .. don't quite feel like messing with buying injectors and shiz all over again tho

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21947
yeah kev. the guy that is building the turbo and doing a group buy says they tested my accord with around 6psi. they were able to get 290hp at the wheels.

which is pretty good for me cause i ain't looking for alot of power.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17604
Chad.

Chad Chad Chad.........

Do you know the can of worms you are opening up? The two worlds of car audio and car performance are on ENTIRELY different levels financially.

Just like car audio you won't want to stop. Just like car audio you'll always want to go louder/faster.

Bottom line is speed is more expensive than loud. And seeing how often you change your car audio setup you might be forced to find a second job with this venture lol.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5332
^^ haha

idk.. speed so far for me is about as expensive as putting together my sq system :-(

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17607
Speed involves so many different parts of the car though. Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes(duh). Just about the whole car is subjected to an expensive upgrade.

After all, would anyone want to enhance their engine without the brakes??????

Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5333
you'd be surprised how many people do lol..

ive at least got dba slotted rotors and hawk hps pads.. best thing for you to do chad is get on that accord forum and source out parts from there.. might get some good deals unless your so set on buying new

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21949
lol paul. i'll take it easy on this. the upgrade won't start until i get my toyota tundra truck. ima need a second car.

kev check this out.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150704

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5334
thats a crazy cheap price for all that.. my turbo and fmic was more than that

i would dough up on a more quality turbo tho.. just looked up the price on that one and it was only listed for $350.. quality cannot be that high

check and see if garrett makes a kit.. something like the gt30r or any other ballbearing turbo

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21951
the thing is that dude built alot of turbos for 6th gen accords. everyone had good results so supposedly he is very trustworthy.

also its a group buy. he won't build it unless he has around 10 guys.

but like you said, ima check in to some other ones. also where did you get $350 from?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4417

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5335
i'd have to look it all up again.. i just google the turbo name and it was like on the first website

he does offer a 5yr warranty so i suppose you can't go wrong.. thats just a crazy price lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21952
lol sorry brad.

thanks kev. as you can see i am new to this stuff so i need some input from you and rob. oh and matt kitzis too.

the problem with this is that although its diy, i have no confidence on installing it myself. so ima have to find someone to install it and tune it. probably gonna cost me around a grand just for that.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21953
or i might just buy a kit from super autobacs. they will install it and tune it if i buy from there. it should run me around 4 grand for it though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17613
You really need kids Chad. You have too much @%$#!@! money!!!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4418
It's not the money Paul, he just thinks too much.

Chad laying in bed at night: "Hmmmm, what part of my car can I tear off and replace tomorrow?" Upload

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

James Carrol is the re...

Post Number: 1236

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 169
where are you located brad? If your in the midwest region I can help you out, you could use one of my stalls at my shop too if you really needed

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21955
lol brad again.

matt i don't think brad needs to use the stalls at your shop. lol. anyways i am located in los angeles california.

Bronze Member
Username: Ezstuff

Neenah, Wisconsin United States

Post Number: 56
hey matt, wheres your shop located? i live in neenah, just curious to see if i could swing by sometime and check it out

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21958
btw guys my accord is v6 6 speed manual transmission.

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1418
Hey Chad, I went to Classic Auto Sound to get the box built. They did a good job and for $80 less than the a--hole at TCAB. Haha the dude's there is also Chad and he said you go through subs like underwear lol So I'm not sure you can go very long without enjoying smoking something :-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21961
lol oleg. yeah chad is a good guy.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8417
"thats a crazy cheap price for all that.. my turbo and fmic was more than that

i would dough up on a more quality turbo tho.. just looked up the price on that one and it was only listed for $350.. quality cannot be that high

check and see if garrett makes a kit.. something like the gt30r or any other ballbearing turbo"

Chad can always upgrade later on.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21982
yes i can. after doing some research, the price is really good for all the stuff i get with it. yes the turbo itself isn't the best quality one but i can always upgrade that later.

rims, lipkit, then turbo.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8017
Hahaha TCAB haven't heard that mentioned in a while. What ever happened to mark lol.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8431
"rims, lipkit, then turbo."

I bet your first two choices will decrease your performance. You probably want 19'' wheels again don't you? Lip kit=useless, I bet you crack it within 2 months and be pissed and for the money spent you don't get a whole lot for it.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5338
"Chad can always upgrade later on."

no doubt, for the price of that total kit i would not pass it up

chad, screw rims and a lip.. turbo first :-) .. make a very good sleeper hehe

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21984
nope rob. this time ima go with 18s with 40 series tires. also i am getting the front lip kit. it won't crack cause i drive carefully. also i would raise my springs a bit if i feel its too low. it ain't the ricey body kit rob. the oem lipkit doen't get that much lower than the original bumper.

besides the group buy won't be happening til about october or november. so i have plenty of time to save money by then.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5339
well i can't tell you otherwise since i had 18"s on 40s and a lip as well lol :P

sucks you ever have to wait that long for the group buy :-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21986
yeah well he does need to get some people to have a successful group buy. i pm'd him and that is what he told me.

i can just purchase one from him at normal price but its too expensive.

oh and one of the accord he did a turbo did 290hp on the dyno with 6psi.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5342
isn't stock 240hp? or around that?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4171
Chad probaly meant 290hp at the wheels.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21988
yeah berny knows wassup. 290 at the wheels is pretty good i think. especially with only 6psi.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5343
so stock is 240bhp.. youll see a 50% gain roughly to the wheels

should be nice :-) .. mustang killer :P

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21989
i can live with killing mustangs. the mustang gt that is cause i can already beat the 6 cyl mustangs.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5344
the stock gts are nothing special either.. you know if you look up specs on the cobra, stage II roush, and shelby they don't put out any more power to the wheels than your accord would with a turbo

i was reading about those 3 in a magazine waiting for a tire to get replaced.. they dynoed and compared to what the company said was rated power to what they actually did to the ground

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21990
this is what the dude said exactly. J30 is my car engine.

"I'm basing my numbers from what I've seen from other setups. The last J30 put down 320 at 9psi, there was another that put down 240 at 4 psi. The thing is, with chief's car, he has the UR crank pulley and some other regular bolt ons on top of the current turbo kit. I'll pay for dyno pulls once me, anthony, and chief get together. There's an 8th mile track that has a dyno where you can test and tune for 10 dollars each car close by."

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21991
also this turbo thing has alot more to it than i thought. wtf is a wastegate? i mean with cheap wastegate they are saying it can blow the motor. damn i need to research this more.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21992
also kevin or rob, if you guys could explain what this means.

"the e-manage ultimate will be paired up with the V-manage piggy-backing off of it."

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5345
the e-manage is basically your tune.. the piggy back is allowing it to over-ride your ecu

chad.. basically a wastegate is a valve that diverts exhaust gases away from the turbine.. basically in doing so it stabilizes boost pressure to protect the engine and the turbo...

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8439
"the e-manage is basically your tune.. the piggy back is allowing it to over-ride your ecu "

Yep, it's sort of just taps into your fuel management and allows you to tune things. Kind of like how an Audiocontrol Epicenter lets you tune your signal.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21998
i see. cause some of the guys had bad experience with the e-manage ultimate. so they were telling the dude that's building the turbo it will cause problems. so thats why the turbo builder is going to use v-manage to piggy back. lol.

anyways according to the builder, once he gets the turbo in his possesion, he takes it apart and inspects it and rebuilds it. that is why he is using cheaper turbos.

i can't wait.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5350
this will end up becoming your favorite upgrade to your car :-)

beware tho.. its like audio.. once you get the mod bug more will follow

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8443
"
beware tho.. its like audio.. once you get the mod bug more will follow"

I'd say it's worse because it's more expensive.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5351
depends on the equipment.. ive spent probably the same on both.. which is way too much on either lol

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4172
Chad, drop a couple of pounds and your accord would fly!! No need for a turbo ;). Lol you know I'm just messin man, don't get mad.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8444
Easily more expensive. Especially when you get into high end parts. 10K can easily be spent on an engine alone.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5352
like i said, depends on the audio equipment you buy..

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8446
I'd still have to say modding a car for performance is easily more expensive. Even if you bought TUBE amps for your car audio setup you'd still spend a lot more on performance.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17653
Like my first response to this thread states..............

Speed is more expensive than sound.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8448
I guess you could end up paying expensive impound fees for noise pollution haha but you could get your licensed revoked for speeding which would COST you in the long run :-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22026
a funny story.

since its a bit slow today, i was browsing the net looking at turbos and stuff.

one dude working at another store around here came to my store to borrow a box. anyways he saw what i was looking at and told me he has turbo in his car. he has a corolla S.

he then tells me he does 8 seconds flat. so i told him 8 seconds flat 0-60 is slow. then he says "i meant quarter mile".

i was about to bust out laughing but i didn't. i just told him it cant. i told him i saw and heard his car and i didn't hear no turbo. he then tells me "oh i meant my friend's corolla S". anyways i told him no way that car does 8 seconds 1/4 mile. he insists that it does.

so i asked him how much psi from his turbo. he then tells me 75psi. they were going for 100psi but then they need to mod the engine too much so they decided 75psi was good enough.

i didn't laugh til he left. lol. i am still laughing just thinking about it. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1410
maybe he meant 18 sec , 7-5 psi and 100 eh even i can't be that damned optomistic. ahahaahahaha

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 701
damn 75psi on stock internals. bawlin

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5353
:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums