Can a kicker sub be fixed?

Username: Vincent_law

Ca

Post Number: 5
i have a 15 inc kicker square type and i got a tare in the soft rubber part...can i patch it or somthing any ideas...and if it cant be fixed... will my old second sub work well with a new sub i dont want to buy two if one still works?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17593
The surround? Is the tear near/at the corner?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7976
I have seen tons of those kicker square subs with breaks in the cone or surround...... they are made very poorly. My best advice is to get some better subs.

And no, you can't mix different subs together.

Silver Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 154
I have seen tons of DDs that break in the cone or surround (paper coned), so no offense but that statement is worthless. The L5 is an entry level sub so when people complain about its poor performance its cause its a cheap bottom of the line sub. The soloX on the other hand is a great sub and has a build quality that is on top of the game, the l7 obviously sits in the middle.
Im guessing this is for a L5 that saw to many watts in a poorly tuned box, if tuned at all?

BTW cyano-acrylic or even JB weld to fix the tear.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7981
L7s are just as bad I see just as many of those bad.

And lol those DDs are the ones that the SPL people put in a faart box with 3x the rated power on them...... no sh!t they're gonna break. DD build quality is about as good as it gets....

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 848
No problems here with my Solo X's... Hadm a tinsil problem with the L5's But I did abuse them.. ALOT!

I would sell my Solo's to buy DD's though. 9500's or Z series

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8399
"And no, you can't mix different subs together."

Actually dumb azz you CAN mix different subs together even if it's a stupid idea.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7985
You knew what I meant, but you just like to be an azzhole

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 359
lmfao i love the war between M.S and Rob, you guys should do an iq test , to see whos smarter lol, thatr would be good id pick ROb :-)

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 159
"And lol those DDs are the ones that the SPL people put in a faart box with 3x the rated power on them...... no sh!t they're gonna break. DD build quality is about as good as it gets...."

A local competitor bought two 9918s the other day (9500gs with composite cone) one came with a bent up tinsel and the other had coil scratch on the 500w bash plate amp (mind you they were both shipped flawlessly so it was facotry error). Sure there parts are quality, what ever you want to argue. But assembly is susceptible to human error no matter what company you are, and please don't try to argue that one. I have ran several DDs and enjoyed them but Kicker puts out a nice product and I think to many people on forums are brainwashed into believing that mainstream products are all junk.

Sony CDX-C90, Kicker Solo X, RF T40001bd (or any other Power amp), MTX 9500, Pioneer SPL5000 are just a few great products that appearantly everyone has overlooked to call the mainstream crap.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7995
" But assembly is susceptible to human error no matter what company you are, and please don't try to argue that one. "

I won't argue with that I agree.

However I will argue that Kicker does not make good woofers since they have one of the highest failure rates in the business, as well as what I see consistently with them. (amps are completely the opposite)

And I have never said that all mainstream stuff was junk..... those RF power amps are among the best amps out there.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 856
"However I will argue that Kicker does not make good woofers since they have one of the highest failure rates in the business, as well as what I see consistently with them."

They also sell more woofers than most is the business.. I doubt the sold to failure ratio is that far off the median.. If it was they would be outta business... If you give them their rated power they will likely give you years of satisfaction.. Mine has...

I have no problem recommending any kicker sub(execpt the comp) if it fits the install and budget.. And the "square" subs for SPL! Solo X FTW!

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 164
Obviously Kicker has its little problems but I would much rather have an RMA from Kicker than FI. No offense to Scott but I would rather send something in on warranty to a place that has 200+ employees and huge warehouses compared to one of these smaller companies that all ready have there hands tied on outgoing orders let alone think about warranty repairs.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7998
From what I have seen day in and day out I'd say they have some big problems.

And I would take Fi all day any day. IMO nothing beats a company like Fi or Audioque whos owners read the froums and help people out whenever possible, including giving warranty repairs to equipment thats out of warranty or to people who broke the stuff and don't even deserve it. Have seen that stuff happen several times on the forums.

The bigger a company gets the more "big business" like they get and the more they focus on one goal: to make as much money as possible, rather than doing it b/c they have a passion for car audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us