Amp tests to find solution

Username: Dusto88

Post Number: 1
i got a pyle 1800 watt amp..i know my wiring is good because i have 2 12's and 1200 watt amp running great...the power light will come on the pyle for about two seconds and then the protection light comes on...i checked the board for any signs of blown components and it looks to be in great shape..i did however find a small black ground wire on the board that had came out of the solder but i soldered it back on and it didnt help..im somewhat tech savy i did my whole system in my car and understand a little bit about whats inside an amp but if you guys could tell me some tests to run on the amp to try and figure out which component of the amp is failing it would be great. Thanks for all the help..

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1639
Does it smell funny?

If you fried something serious there is usually a distinct "oh crap" smell coming from the amp.

Stick your nose up close and take a whiff.

-Fishy

Post Number: 2
No, no smell at all. i have only had the amp for 4 days now so who knows what kind of crap the previous owner did to it. but it seriously looks fine. now my eye might not be that trained to find things but still there is no smell.. i will try to post some pics up soon if no one has any ideas

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7966
Pyle is the absolute bottom of the barrel of car audio equipment, seriously one of the worst brands out there.

Those amps blow left and right, and aren't worth fixing.

Silver Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 119
^^^Pyle of Crap

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7988
lol Yep

Post Number: 3
I understand that completely but it was something to do in my spare time and like i said the amp also doesnt seem to have any blown components. Plus if i can get it fixed its worth a lot more than i paid for it(nothing)....im certain that none of the transistors(i guess thats what the little things sticking out are called)are blown so like i figured someone might know how to tell what part of the board was shorting itself out

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8008
If you're serious about this prject then you may be interested in this

http://www.bcae1.com/repairtutorialcdinfo.htm

http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/repairbasics.htm

Post Number: 5
thanks a lot..last night checking some of the other threads i came across those websites and they are helpful...now i have a great idea where to start..thanks guys! oh and by the way im not putting any money into this trust me..just time that would be wasted doing somthing else...lol im a college student

Silver Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 122
at least you have your priorities straight. i'm a college student as well and usually my spare time involves coors light..... LETS VENT!

Post Number: 6
LOL i didnt say coors light wouldnt be involved! "drink until it works"(or pass out) whichever comes first...lol thanks again for the help guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us