Crackling Noise

Username: Mlevinson

Post Number: 1
Hi I am new to the board and have a problem I am trying to troubleshoot.
Appox. three years ago I instaled a alpine deck an alpine 4 channel amp, MB quart components in the doors and dash, 6.5 alpine coaxial in the back deck and a alpine sub and amp in the trunk. All was good for the first six months or so. Then a crackling sound began to come from the right front MB quart component. It was completely random for the first few months and was almost not noticable. I upgraded to a larger 4 channel alpine amp around the first year. The crackling remained and progressively got worse. In the meantime I installed my old amp in my daughters car and it has run for two years no problem. Another year past and it became unbearable and it finnally quit all together on just that one channel. I took the deckout and while hooked up I could twist the RCA connecter on the deck and could get it to play randomly. It basically reproduced the sound that had started some time earlier. I could switch out the RCA wire to another Channel and the speaker played fine. When I hooked the other RCA cables to that paticular jack on the deck they all gave me the crackling noise. I figured the jack on the deck was bad. I bought another Alpine deck and all seemed cured for a month or two. Then it came back in
the same channel again. Barley noticeable but exactly like it did the first time. I then went to my amp and switch the left and right speaker wires and the crackling then moved to the left channel. I thought it was my amp and then I thought of my older amp that still works fine in my daughters car. Then I thought it was another deck but the noised remained through two of them. My thought is something is causing the RCA output jacks on my deck to go bad. My problem is that I dont have a clue as to what would cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Randy

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1391
only thing i can figure is your speaker connections are causeing all this. the only assumption i can come up with is ether one of your speakers is grounding out on the body causeing crackleing u don't hear it much due to it moving from bumps and so on. idk if you use x overs with those quarts but thats the other possible cause. so thats pretty much all thats left, o and check all the speaker wire going to the speaker wire for nicks and the same with the rca's cause ur wires are the only thing u haven't checked yet. also it sounds exactly like the rca it's self is bad so check and replace if u have to.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Ill check the RCA since it will move to wahtever channel I have that paticular RCA wire connected to. I do have cross overs on the MBs. what does idk stand for. Ill check that also.
While it was crackling I looked at the connections on the crossover and shook it and it didnt make a difference. Your help is greatly appreciated. LOL I really dont want to buy another deck any time soon.
Thanks randy

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1394
idk is i don't know lol, but yea i know the pain but i think it's one of 2 bad rcas or a bad x over. my bets on the rcas

Post Number: 3
I changed the RCA wire out with a new one and got the same crackling noise. Im not sure how to check a Xover.Well as I wrote it I guessI can change the speaker wires on the in or output of the crossover. My only problem is if I changed the Rcas on the deck and the amp if it was the x overs it should have stayed with that paticular speaker and it didnt. Any more possible solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Randy

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1405
have u acctually checked the speakers themseleves and thier connections? i get a sneaking suspicion ur screwing the speakers in to tight and the terminals are touching the door panel grounding out. try pulling the crackeling speaker out of the door and playing it then if it still crackels dissconnect it and hook it up to ur other sides x over and if it still acts up it's the speakers voice coil. if the speakers fine ur have a bad x over. to prove it use the other speaker it will prob crackle to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us