Porsche 911 install advice please.

Username: Rollandburn

Post Number: 1
Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me some opinions on an audio install for my 1985 911. Obviously there is limited space, but I'm still going to try to squeeze as much out of it as I can. =]

The only gear I have so far is a decent JVC head unit with 3 pre-outs and a Rockford Fosgate Power1000 5-channel amp. The Power1000 is rated as follows...

100w x 4 @ 4ohms
150w x 4 @ 2ohms

...and a 5th channel I'd like to run two 4ohm 10's in parallel to get 600w x 1 @ 2ohms. They will be in a sealed .5cu ft box behind the seats.. similar to

http://caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

This leaves me with decisions to make concerning components in the doors and rear fill. Stock sizes are 5.25 up front and 4x6 in the rear. 6.5's will fit up front with slight modifications so I'd like to go with that size. The rear I know isn't supposed to blast your head off and am wondering if I should stick with the stock 4x6 in the rear.

Once I choose the size do you guys think I should also consider accessing the amps capability of outputting 4x150@2ohms, or do you think the 100x4@4ohms will be sufficient to keep up with the two 10"s.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

ps. I don't want to spend $800 on components....between the front and rear my budget is around $300-$350, and to maximize those dollars I'll be looking on ebay first. Meaning crutchfield etc... is good for research...but if I can get $400 cructhfield components on ebay for $250 why not! I might even settle for super high quality used at the right price.

pss. I listen mostly to electronic music (house, drum & bass) and jazz...

Post Number: 2
my bad... i got the power ratings of the amp wrong. From the book...

Rated Power
continuous power
Front/Rear Channels
50W x 4 @ 4-Ohms RMS
100W x 4 @ 2-Ohms RMS
150W x 4 @ 1-Ohm RMS
200W x 2 @ 4-Ohms Bridged Mono
300 x 2W @ 2-Ohms Bridged Mono

Sub Channel
300W x 1 @ 4-Ohms RMS
600W x 1 @ 2-Ohms RMS
800W x 1 @ 1-Ohm RMS

2ohm speakers front/rear looks good in that case~

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 522
2ohm speakers are very rare. Stick with 4-ohms. RF amps are underrated..you'll get some more power than that :-)

Definitely go with the 6.5's as mentioned. Skip rear speakers and keep your stock ones.

Does the $800 budget include the subs? or just components?

Post Number: 3
Hi, thanks for the response exige....I agree... the amp will definitely put out more than 50x4@4ohms... i just wondered why there would be any reason to NOT use the capabilities of the amp at 2 ohms while I am in purchase mode. The rarity of 2 ohm components won't deter me if is a better choice.

The rear fill. Those two rear channels will be sitting idle if i don't use them. I always understood rear fill to be a necessity when attempting to achieve a good sound stage so I think for the minimal amount a pair of 4x6's cost it would be a good idea...even if at a super low volume.

Oh yes, the $800 figure was one I didn't want to reach... I was thinking more along the lines of around $300 for the front and rears, and then spend another $250 on two 10's.

what do you think?

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 541
Sorry I misread regarding the budget.

Go with an efficient set of 4 ohms speakers. Just cause your amp can put out more does not mean you HAVE to use that power. Keep your rears stock...trust me. Rear fill typically only throws off your soundstage...especially in a car as small as yours.

Have you had a chance to listen to ay speakers yet? Can you give us any references so we can point you in the right direction?

Post Number: 4
I haven't listened to anything in the stores yet. I get the feeling that because the sound of a speaker is so subjective, depends on the install, the car, etc... that even listening to a set in a shop won't give me a real good idea of what they'll sound like once placed.

I've been kinda riding on numbers and price....I figure if the numbers are right and I buy the most expensive ones I can afford, that'll give me the greatest chance of attaining satisfaction. I wish there were places in my town to listen to others setups but there just isn't.

Can you tell me what qualifies as 'efficient'? >91db?

Thanks for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Fritos2

Post Number: 37
porsche 911 niceeeee

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 553
Yes, very nice car lol. Efficiency is subjective. I typically say 89dB and up...but there's no exact amount. Check your PM's by the way. What I would recommend is the 6.5's up front, stock in the rear, and bridge your amp to get more power up front.

Post Number: 5
I'd love to check my PM's but apparently I need special glasses or something to see where to access them. The content on this site is good but the interface leaves something to be desired.

Thanks everyone.

=]

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2079

quote:

The content on this site is good but the interface leaves something to be desired.

Tell the admin that and he deletes your thread :-(

Anywho, your PMs are sent to your email inbox that you used to register with this site.

Post Number: 6
hehe... well I'll always be biased having worked in the web industry for too many years. Thanks for pointing out that the pM's are emails in effect... i did receive yours. =]

Just to let everyone know how this has been coming along for me...

I bought a new set of MB Quart QSD 216's that I'm going to run up front..... no rear stage at all. And for subs, I bought two MB Quart shallow 10's ... screwed up because I bought DVC instead of SVC. I was hoping to run the sub channel at 2ohms, splitting 600w between the two. Now that the wiring possibilities of two DVC subs forces me into either 1ohm or 4ohm, it looks like I'm going to have to do 1ohm. Luckily, the amp is rated to do 800w @ 1ohm and the subs are 400w each. =]

rolland

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8142
Definitely bridge the amp to get more power to the front speakers.

But where I REALLY disagree with exige: get rid of the rears, don't leave the stock ones in there. Stock speakers from 1985 are going to sound terrible and will do nothing but screw up the sound of whatever components you decide to put in front.

Silver Member

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 630
All that I was implying was: do not waste money on purchasing new rears. I'm not meaning he has to actually USE his old ones. But, it's pointless to buy new ones though. (I never actually said to keep the rears hooked up )

His statement: "I always understood rear fill to be a necessity when attempting to achieve a good sound stage so I think for the minimal amount a pair of 4x6's cost it would be a good idea...even if at a super low volume."

Reread this comment I stated above: Rear fill typically only throws off your soundstage...especially in a car as small as yours.

Reading too much into it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us