Anyone able to help me choose a subwoofer for this?

Username: Blind123

Post Number: 2
I posted this in the computer audio section but just noticed its not really active. So, because my question is about subwoofers anyways I thought I would post it here.

I have an X-540 5.1 system that just messed up the other day, posted on the Logitech forums and they told me its probably messed up voice coil? It started yesterday after playing some music at a little over 50% volume and all of a sudden it started to make a noise like something was loose. And now the air that comes out the front of the sub seems weaker, and even putting my hand on the front it doesn't pull in air as much as it use to. So, anyone ever had to do this? I need help looking for a replacement woofer to put in it, maybe something better that won't break when I put full volume? I don't want to spend too much money on this but if possible/cheap I would like to get something better so I don't have to worry about turning up the volume to full and it screwing up again.

Post Number: 3
BUMP! Anyone know more about speakers/subwoofer than me? I was thinking of just finding one at Wal-Mart the same size but don't wanna screw it up and not be able to return it.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3180
If you have a messed up voicecoil you will need to get a new speaker. Not worth fixing it.

What price are you looking to spend? Whats the Speakers RMS power?...i wouldnt do wal-mart.

Post Number: 4
Well, the whole X-540 setup was $90, so I don't want to spend a large amount on it. But if possible I would like to get something better than was in it so I don't have to worry about putting full volume on it and it screwing up again, I was thinking maybe around $25. I just found this page, says the subwoofer speaker is 25 watts RMS, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl =ca,en and on the forums the guy said the impedance is supposed to be 4 Ohms and the specifications page on here it says the same http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/476038-REG/Logitech_970223_0403_X_540_5_1_ Speaker_System.html

But a question about the speaker, it can still be moving but be broken? Cause the air coming out of the sub box seems weaker but I told them the speaker on the bottom was still moving.....and here is a recording I took with my MP3 player of what it sounds like right now and the sound it starts to make now, first half is like 30% then at like half way I put it at 50%+ volume...seems to me like the sound starts to get sorta shaky.

http://www.themp3host.com/uploads/ed67f8531c.mp3

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4363
Swap it out for a new driver. This one would be perfect at $33.86 + ship. It will sound far better than the original subwoofer.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-831

Post Number: 5
Any idea how long it is from top to bottom? I took out the X-540s speaker from the sub (am I supposed to see anything visibly wrong with it if it were really broken?) and I am wondering if that Tang Band speaker would run into it the air tube thing....looks like I have a little under 8cm of space. The speaker that is in the sub right now is only 6cm high.

I am thinking of buying some cheap one from Wal-Mart as a test and if I can really hear/feel a difference from the sub I will go ahead and buy the better Tang Band one. :-) Also, do those speakers usually come with the foam ring around where it sits against the box to seal it?

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-audio puls...

Post Number: 428
take a multimeter and ohm the voice coils out that will be a sure fire way to see if the voice coils are blown

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4365
The Tang Band has 79.5 mm or 7.95 cm depth. Don't buy a driver from Walmart. Chances are great that is won't be 4ohms and even greater that it will sound like ass. Some drivers come with the ring and some don't. In your case you should run a thick bead of silicone caulk around the outer part of the mounting cutout, smooth it out, let it dry, then mount the woofer against that for a perfect seal and also to take away a bit of depth.

Post Number: 6
EDIT: I think I figured out the multimeter and it says 4.2. And here is a recording I just did of a song and me holding the speaker in my hand at 50% volume, it is not vibrating against anything so that is actually the noise it's making. Click here to listen: http://www.themp3host.com/uploads/67cfaed88d.mp3

And about the size of the Tang Band...in the sub box the tube inside for the air to move has this thick plastic ring on the end...is that needed? I am thinking of maybe trying to remove it (has a lot of hot glue looking stuff) if its not necessary to make enough space. Right now there is 7.3cm space from the outside of the box to that ring (which is right in the middle of where the speaker would go) and just to the cardboard tube there is 8.5cm of space so if removing that ring doesn't cause any problems the Tang Band would fit with .5cm of space left. And hey, I just pulled the whole thing out right now, cardboard tube with ring, could I put it back in at an angle as long as it still holds in there without causing any extra vibration, would that be ok?

Post Number: 7
Hey, I got a random Sony 5 1/4" speaker from Wal-Mart to test in the sub and it was still making a sort of shaking noise.....I am thinking of just giving up on this and try and find something to replace the sub. All the front, rear, and center speakers that came in the X-540 have the RCA connection, so I was wondering, what can I get to replace this sub and connect to the rest of the speakers and then to my PC? Is that what I can do with the amps? Can that split the front, center/subwoofer, and rear speakers to get 5.1 surround sound on my PC?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us