6 12's vs 2 13.5's

Username: Devin601

Post Number: 1
Check this out...I already have 4 kicker cvx 12'' woofers running at a 1 ohm level with a hifonics brutus 2600 D amplifier but the spl is not powerful enough for me....I already know my issue which is my box i Have them in a acura and could only fit a sealed box which has two chambers which mean that 2 are sharing space with each other and they also out of phase cause 2 pointing up and two pointing forward.. But however I just bought me a 79 checvy caprice and have a debate...I was thinkin about selling the speakers and get 2 jl 13.5 w7 and a 1000/1 jl amp on each one or just get me 2 more 12's...So do you all think 6 of those 12's would have a higher spl than the 2 jl 13.5 i already know jl will have a better quality! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2557
pics of ur 4 12 cvx set up ..
what type of acura ... ?

why not properly run/enclose a good woofer .. because from the looks of it u dont have the space for a properly sized box ... 2 13.5s are gonna need a fairly large enclosure ... with a good amount of port area ... id say prolly 6-7 cubes tuned around 32-34...

if its an integra trunk ud be hard pressed to fit that in there ...

plenty of subs can be had for cheaper and be just as good as far as output and build quality

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2558
ohh ididnt see that u bought a caprice my fault ... but all of it still applies for the most part

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3145
Welcome to the forum man.

If you are looking for SPL the 4 CVX 12s in the right box will give you all that, you wont need to add 2 more. There are 2 major problems with adding 2 more, 1. Powering the 2 extra subs and 2. It will take a bigger box.

W7s are great subs. They will give you the sq and spl that will be more than enough for most people, however they are very expensive and you already have the kickers...

The 4 CVXs with the right box will have more SPL than 2 13.5W7s. IN THE RIGHT BOXES tho...very key.

Post Number: 2
Yea its a acura 3.2tl 97' and i really dont care about it no more..the caprice trunk is very big and I think it can hold 6 12's...I will upload pics to show what they look like in my acura tho when I get off work tonight..I just want to know which set would hit harder...me and my friend in a friendly competition and he have 2 15's called RE which i never heard of before and they costed him a 1000 dollars...I think either of those set ups would beat him but he have the room for it and the spl in his suburban is rediculous...I mean i cant stay in that sucker cause its too powerful..

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3150
Depending on his box/what RE subs he has/what amp he has the 15s should be louder than the JLs, especially if they are SX 15s or higher.

Are you stuck to just kicker and JL or will you do other brands?

6 12s might "fit" in the trunk but they want ~2cuft each ported so your looking at a 12cuft box after displacement closer to 14cuft box before dispacement, which you dont have.

Im telling you right now 4 of the CVX 12s with 2500-3000rms in a ported box tuned for sql/spl will be loud enough.

Post Number: 3
and also I was gonna get another hifonics 2600d and put 3 speakers on each running them at 1.3ohms...Its just that I want 6 12's cause I want to outbeat everyone in my town! and that webbie song is stuck in my head..Money aint the issue...I can get whatever i really want

Post Number: 4
yea im kinda of just stuck to kicker but i heard two of them jl13.5s and this dude made me look stupi with my 4 12's so i said hey I might want 2 of them...but of course he had all his stuff set up righ I mean with a ported box and two jl audio amps pushin them

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-audio puls...

Post Number: 425
ok 6 12's versus 2 13.5 really?

Post Number: 5
dam wtf...I see there is some smart a**es on here huh! Well I dont have time for this smart talking so you can go ahead by your business! And this fool with two of them already made me look stupid and they probably would make 6 12's look stupid! them dam speakers cost more than 6 of the cvx's anyway off ebay!

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 765
u need to go ported... those four CVX's will outpound 2 13.5's all day long.... Build the biggest ported box you can fix with the 4-12's and you will be happy.. (power and amps considering) have you checked your ohm load with a DMM the make sure you have the subs wired right? what are the readings?. You will need to upgrage you charging system and use sound deadner in your trunk.
curious... was his 13.5's in an extended cab, suv, or hatchback? You will obviously need to beef up your frontsatge as well. Don't sound like u want just a burpbox.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14030
agreed with jake - just get the correct box & set ur install properly & ur good to go .....

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 84
I wanna see a pic of this box i think its way to small because you should be pounding also what wire, alt, other accessories you got ?

Post Number: 6
OK here are the links to pictures of my complete system! As you see I barely has space and thats why I bought a car with a bigger trunk...And the guy with the 13.5's had a 2 door eclipse with the box taking up the whole trunk and some of the back seat and the box was ported and had the speakers facing the inside of the car meaning he was allmost sitting right beside the speakers..

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0003.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0005.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0006.jpg

Post Number: 7
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0007.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/devin601/IMG_0008.jpg

Pictures of my Amp

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3154
"dam wtf...I see there is some smart a**es on here huh! Well I dont have time for this smart talking so you can go ahead by your business! And this fool with two of them already made me look stupid and they probably would make 6 12's look stupid! them dam speakers cost more than 6 of the cvx's anyway off ebay!"

Theres several people on this forum with single sub setups that would be louder than both yours and his so maybe if you listen to what we are saying you wont look stupid next time.

Do what you want but the 4 12s in the right box WILL be louder than the 2 JLs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 773
for sure^^^

Post Number: 8
Yea I understand what you saying about the JL speakers and that the 4 12's would be louder than his but I really dont care about his...I want mines louder than my friend with the two 15s RE speakers.....He have this big 4000 watt amp that takes two 0/1 gauge wires to power up and of course another battery...the speakers rms is 2000 watts and he have them in this big ported box in his suv and I never heard anything with so much spl before...I want to beat him and I know 4 12's not gonna get him so thats why I want 6

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 1995
Ok, lets review here.
If you had 6 12's:

1. You would only be running 2krms.
-That guy is running 4krms

2. You would be doing an improper install/box
-That guy install most likely has the right install/box

3. You would still be in the trunk of a car
-That guy is in an SUV which gets louder anyway.

Post Number: 9
uhh...you wrong 6 12's cvx's would be 4500rms!! the rms is 750 a peice...And why is everyone recommending 4 over 6?!?

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 10065
Dude, install is the most important aspect here that your over looking. Just because you can physically fit 6 subs inside your truck does not mean you can fit a proper box for them. Lets just suppose that the 12" sub calls for a 2cuft box which is the average for a 12. You have six of them. Six times 2 comes out to 12cuft, which does not even bring into play the port and sub displacement. Bring those into play and you are looking at one hell of a box which you wont be able to fit. I guarantee you that if you put those 6 12's back there, he will still be louder than you because he has a good box for his and you still have a small box which you are trying to jam more subs into. Less subs in a proper box > more subs is a small box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1997
Oh devin, I was not aware that you were going to step up to a 4.5krms amp.

What amp are you thinking of?

Post Number: 10
I was gonna get 1 more of the amps I have which is the hifonics brutus 2600 D and run three at 1.3 ohm level which would bring the rms on the amp down a little so it want be too much for the speakers..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1999
That amp will do about 1.7-1.8k or so @ 1.3 ohms.

That is only 3.4krms. Not taking into effect box rise and voltage drops.

Keep in mind, those amps are not strappable so it will take a little tuning time to get them both exact.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
huh...It would do that at 2 ohms...the rms at 2 ohms is 1.7 so at 1.3...it probably be around 21krms 0r 22krms...The box might be the only problem...and thats my problem now..This dude I know said he could build a ported box for the 6 12's in my trunk for 500 dollars and I was going to get another kinetik 2000 battery like the one I have now

Silver Member

Post Number: 779
" also I was gonna get another hifonics 2600d and put 3 speakers on each running them at 1.3ohms...Its just that I want 6 12's cause I want to outbeat everyone in my town! and that webbie song is stuck in my head..Money aint the issue...I can get whatever i really want"

There ya go nick...

get the additional amp and keep the 4 cvx's(vc configuration considering- meaning if possible) with the correct ported enclosure. YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE CHARGING SYSTEM!

"So do you all think 6 of those 12's would have a higher spl than the 2 jl 13.5"

"Yea I understand what you saying about the JL speakers and that the 4 12's would be louder than his but I really dont care about his...I want mines louder than my friend with the two 15s RE speakers"

ummm conflicting statments... make up your mind of who's azz you want to kick in the lanes lol

2-15" RE? what model 15's does he run?

2-15's ported in an suv on 4000 wrms with correct charging and power will be tuff to be beat with a trunk car. even if you do exactly what we recommended. Not impossible, but tuff! DUDE.... 6 CVX's imo are out of the question in the caprice unless you yank out the back seats and wall it out... Which sounds like a great idea if you just want a LOUD SPL car..

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3158
Those hifonics amps are very overrated. They do about 75% of the power at 4ohm. Nick is right you will be looking at around 1700rms per amp.

I could build you a ported box for 6 12s for 40 bucks but if its not to specs it doesnt matter...it will sound like sh!t.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2002
Wrong, Devin.

That amp does not do rated power. It will do about 2k-2.1k rms @ 1 ohm. SO around 1.7-1.8 @ 1.3ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Aight...I know yall know way more than me about this since i only been in car audio for like 4 years....The only thing I dont really understand is this box making system...I once built a box in my acura for 2 15's solo L7's it was ported and we had to build the box in the trunk...It was loud but not loud as they should get...What do you mean it has to be up to specs?!? Cause I really want to build my own box since I have the tools and a lil experience..well since the hifonics is not giving me the power i want...what amps would you recommend for 1.3ohms and at least 2000 rms each?!?

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
AQ 2200
RD3250.1 even better. more power but better subs in future?!?

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
box to specs means optimum encloure for specific sub... usually recommended by the sub manufacturer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
OK Mark...what you mean by better subs..I am so stuck to Kicker and just started liking JL when I heard them 13.5's...who else make good competition speakers other than MTXaudio, JL and Kicker...and who make those amps...I googled them and couldnt find nothying on them

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
Devin, What would slam would be two RD 1750.1s strapped.

To specs we mean each sub needs the right airspace. Subs without the correct airspace sound like @ss. If you really want to get loud, delete the back seat, and start from there :-) Then you could go with the 6 subs ported and it would be extremely loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Dam...Them amps expensive...You know where I can find them w/out paying retail and Nick thats the best idea I heard so far..because I really want 6 12's and everyone keep telling me to just keep 4...but im a hard headed young dude who just want listen..and If I have to take out the back seat I will..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
I understand, Devin. It sucks for people to tell you stuff that you don't want to hear lol. Taking the back sear out and placing the box there would get loud and you would have alot more space.

Email Kevin Holden about the amps. I run two of them strapped myself on a single 15. No problems at all. I might would sell you mine...
Kevin's email = lowhz01@yahoo.com

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9948
One thing I didnt see Devin comment on is what hes got to back up all this power. Without that covered his goals are not going to happen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Im gonne have 2 kinetik 2000 batteries and I alrezdy have a 200 amp alternator...What else is needed?

Username: King_assassin

Natchez, Ms Us

Post Number: 1
What up to everyone. Devin is my home boy and i keep tellin him to give up. if he dont we will both be deaf. the more he gets the more i'm goin to get. if i hadnt got so many tickets i would probably have more but this is the only thing hes tryin to beat. Have a 96 tahoe. 2 15 re mts in around an 8 cubic ft box on a single 4000 autotek. soon to be more. might try the xxx out to see what it sound like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
lol...dont be coming in my post posting sh*t...I am gonna win this competition so you give up!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
aight I have another idea...Do you think 4 of them jl 12'' w7s would hit harder than 6 of the cvx 12's?

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3164
All depends on box and power maneeee.

Welcome to the forum Roosevelt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
OK...I want you all to decide...Would you go with 4 12s jl w7's or 6 kicker 12s cvx's...If JL, what amp would be good for them because the speakers are 3 ohms and I have no idea what the ohm load will be if I wire them parallel..

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbink

PhillyUsa

Post Number: 66
your friend probaly has the mt or,xxx re subs trunk or not cvx aint going to touch him

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbink

PhillyUsa

Post Number: 67
if you gotta have kicker get 1 18" solo-x 5 to 6ft ported box them give him hell

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1428
This is so childish.

If you have less cone area, and/or less power than your friend, and no electrical upgrades, you're friend will beat you.

If you're running around 4krms you'll need a h/o alt and batteries before installing things if you want them to work w/out issues.

Google sub cone area calculator. You'll be able to figure out what sub combo will give you the most sub for your money (4 12s, 2 15s, ect).

If you are sticking with those hifonics amps why not get 8 12s and build a nice big ported box- I know those caprices have big trunks. Then put 1 amp per 4 subs so you can still be at 1ohm. Then buy an aftermarket alternator and 1-2 extra batteries, with 2 or so runs of 1/0.

Unless you really do something drastic your friend will beat you every time though- it's just extremely hard to get trunk cars loud compared to suvs/hatchbacks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
LOL...I never thought about 8! But I have to put that into consideration! And this is not childish...You know you want your music louder than everyone elses! Its all fun and games and will get expensive but who cares..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us