Couple of car audio tips

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21751
1. connecting the tweeters out of phase. if your tweeter is mounted at the top of the door panel and your woofer is at the bottom, by reversing the poloarity it will blend better. now its not a guarantee in all cars. in my car it improved alot. it blends the tweets and the mid alot better. its something you can try for yourself to see if it sounds good. its a simple precedure so it shouldn't take too much of your time.

2. this is for those that have subs in the trunk of a car. no hatch backs or suv. just trunk cars. fire the sub and the port towards the front of the car rather than to the back. also put the phase shift on your amp to 180. i did that last night and let me just say its a night and day difference. it benefits more if you don't have rearfills cause when i had rearfills and i did this, it didn't sound as good. again it something you can try to see if you like it. not alot of work.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2439
Good info Chad. I'll have to try it sometime.:-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21753
especially the tweeter thing. now my front stage sound really full. also when turned my sub box around, it blended with the front stage alot better.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2550
i have done that before chad ... didnt work well in my focus .. but my jetta it had a severe change in range of the frontstage ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21754
were your tweets and mid kinda far apart? cause if they are close together, its not necessary.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2283
Good info Chad can you do one for trucks?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3113
#1 Can be done in any vehicle, give it a try.

#2 Can also be done in any vehicle but in SUVs especially your SPL will drop big time. Unless its a wall or something.

Great info chad!

Bronze Member
Username: Basshead4life

Iowa

Post Number: 24
if my amp doesn't have a phase shift for #2 can i just wire my sub speaker wires the opposite way to the amp,would that take away bass or work or not?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21758
luke you can try it first without the phase shift to see if you like it. also your head unit should have the phase shift also.

its not must but i like it cause it makes the bass sound like its coming from the front.

here's another tip......compliments of mr brad warren.

its for setting your HPF and LPF. now again give it a try to see if you like it cause not all systems are the same.

i set my HPF to around 110-120hz. by doing this, my speakers are alot more efficient. besides you hardly hear the lower frequencies from your mid anyways cause of your sub. when the mid plays too low, it gets less efficient and the important frequencies don't play as loud.

my LPF is set at 80hz. i know what you are thinking, there is too much gap between the HPF and LPF. not so. try it out and see if you notice the gap. turn the 150-175hz range on your eq up a bit and you got yourself a perfect blend.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4675
Curious, tweeters and mids should be on there own frequencies and should not in any way cause cancellation issues in any attitude. If you are getting some type of cancellation you need to decrease the overlap or crossover point maybe make it a tad steeper. Polo.

Bronze Member

Iowa

Post Number: 28
so i faced it forward and the bass hit the cabin easier, i didn't reverse the wires either plus i listen to my music with everything flat, it sounds more balanced out. i used to have my Pioneer HU's low eq adjustment up to +6 and have the Q factor at 40 hz for more fullness of the bass,it just caused the output to be to much and clipped my amp easier.

i like my LPF around 60 hz.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21768
polo i am not running active xover so i can't do that with the tweeter and mid. what i was explaining up there i picked up from dls site. it has good results for me like that.

luke.....nice. :-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21769
btw luke how close to the backseat is the sub?

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1739
Might have to try that with my subs to see what happens with my trunk as I would have never thought to utilize that!

Silver Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 175
"1. connecting the tweeters out of phase. if your tweeter is mounted at the top of the door panel and your woofer is at the bottom, by reversing the poloarity it will blend better. now its not a guarantee in all cars. in my car it improved alot. it blends the tweets and the mid alot better. its something you can try for yourself to see if it sounds good. its a simple precedure so it shouldn't take too much of your time."

What do you mean by reversing the polarity? sorry newb question :-)

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2447
reverse the + and -

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21774
messed with some stuff today and i must say i don't know why i didn't face the sub forward before. the bass comes through the holes where the 6 x 9s were much better. also i put the phase shift at 180 on my amp and it feels like i have the sub right in front of me. big improvement.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2451
Huh...I'll have to try it. I've tried many different ways and it was always loudest facing the rear. My seats also fold down completely so that could have something to do with it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21778
the loudness is pretty much the same. its sq that improved alot. but then again all cars are different.

Bronze Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 77
what kind of car is it that you have your sub in? i'm gettin a 2000 altima and i'll be putting my system in that and i'll try out the phase shift idea. in my camry i found it not performing as well when facing in but i also did not change the phase shift. btw what exactly does the phase shift do?

Bronze Member

Iowa

Post Number: 29
about a foot to 2 feet away from the backseat Chad. So it's about 4 feet from my head at the drivers seat instead of 6 cuz i could tell it was comin way from the back of the trunk.

my car is a 2001 ford taurus se 4 door sedan.

i definitely noticed the sound of the bass change facin it forward and i thought my L5 would always sound bad no matter how i faced it, guess not.plus like you Chad i have no rear fill so the bass goes through those empty areas, then i noticed i have this like hard plastic covering behind the seats so the sound still hits off that and the bass doesn't sound muffled anymore like it was facin rear.

i recommend you all to try this out, you'll be surprised on how the sound of the bass really changes.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21782
boomer....phase shift is self explanatory. lol. in my car since the sub is in the trunk and i only have front stage, it tends to sound kinda far apart. the phase shift corrects that.

luke......yeah i didn't realize how much of a difference it makes. good to know you like it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21785
a bit of useful info.

http://www.dls.se/econtent/files/57/dlshints.pdf

Username: Loudnproud

Post Number: 6
gonna have to try the one for my subs...btw does anyone know if a Pionerr 5800 HU has phase shift on it?

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 682
yes it does
when u turn the subs on/off...the polarity is in that same option..hitting left or right should change it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us