Got a new amp!

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 320
HEy guys, I recently picked up the new Hifonics Bxi 1208D for 2.35 hundred dollars lol and that was after tax. SO I was very happy with the price since it is going for 250 at onlinecarstereo.

I got some questions about it though.
First the gain. When subwoofertools was up they had a calculator for setting gain. Does anyone know of another site that has a similar calculator. I just set the gain by ear, but that method kinda sucks because it is pretty tough to find out when the subs start clipping when it is as loud as it is.

second question is about the phase knob. This is the first Amp I have owned with one of these and im not sure what to do about it... I just kinda set it in the middle. any suggestions?

and my last question is with the bass eq. I just left it at zero and turned the gain up enough to where it was not clipping. Should I do something different about that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Qslimms

Swanton, Oh Usa

Post Number: 164
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/audio-video-electronics/1 65526-amplifier-gain-setting-tutorial.html
i asked the same ? the other day check that out it helped me.

Bronze Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 71
i have the Bxi 1206D (so the 2006 version) and i have the gain about 3/4 of the way up, phase at 0, and bass EQ a little over half way. on my deck i set bass to +1 and Subwoofer level to +1 and i haven't had any problems with the amp/subs except for overheating a few times during mid summer

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7923
You could have got an Audioque 1200d for $250 better amp.......

Bass EQ in other words bass boost needs to be off unless you like clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 527
the phase should be left alone unless your subs are out of phase( wired backwards or receiving a different signal) set the phase to 0 or off. if the subs suck in then put it on 180.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
so M.S., are you saying that it would be better on my subs if i set the bass boost to 0 and turned the gain up closer to .2 volts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
M.S.: i would have gotten the Audioque except I would rather not order stuff from online its alot easier for me to just go out and buy from a store... Mostly cuz i still live with my parents and I dont own a credit card or paypal account.

B00M3R: What kind of subs do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3116
"i have the Bxi 1206D (so the 2006 version) and i have the gain about 3/4 of the way up, phase at 0, and bass EQ a little over half way. on my deck i set bass to +1 and Subwoofer level to +1 and i haven't had any problems with the amp/subs except for overheating a few times during mid summer"

Your subs hate you. Bass boost should be 0, the gain also seems high to me...did you set it with a DMM or just randomly set it there?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7927
Yeah, set gains right..... somebody should have a link to a calculator.

And no bass boost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Yeah if someone could find a calculator i would appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2442
power * resistance = xx (sq.root of xx = your target voltage)

example... 1000watts * 1ohm = 1

sq.root of 1 = 31.6

or you can use this:

http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
thanks Stavenmist.

Does anyone know of a more accurate wattage value for the hifonics bxi1208D? I am assuming that it does not actually put out a full 1200watts.

If the cones of my subs get warm after a few minutes of playing "throw it up" does that mean that they are clipping?... I think I have heard that somewhere.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

James Carrol is the re...

Post Number: 1203
Steve knows what he is saying but i think he got his math a little mixed up
1000*1=1000
SQ root of 1000=31.6
:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
yeah i figured that lol.
but still,

Does anyone know of a more accurate wattage value for the hifonics bxi1208D? I am assuming that it does not actually put out a full 1200watts.

If the cones of my subs get warm after a few minutes of playing "throw it up" does that mean that they are clipping?... I think I have heard that somewhere.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7930
Those hifonics do about 75-80% of rated power so ~900w is a good guess.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
could I take it to a car audio shop and have them test it to see what kind of power it is putting out?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7931
Most don't have the equipment needed or even know how to do it properly.

Just use 900w.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2289
MS is right shops around here mostly do it by ear. hard to find a good shop.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2443
"Steve knows what he is saying but i think he got his math a little mixed up
1000*1=1000
SQ root of 1000=31.6 "

Ooops lol. Thanks Don't know how i missed that lmao.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
i have 2 12" alpine type r's. i randomly set it by just listening to the subs perform with it turned on low while adjusting the gain. i never turned my deck up over 21 and it goes to 60. so maybe i can turn the gain down a little, turn the bass boost to 0, and turn my HU up higher?

what is a DMM btw and how do i get ahold of one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
its a digital multimeter. They sell them at like radio shack or other places like that.

Sounds like me and you have similar systems. I got type-r's too. I have bass boost all the way off and my gain is slightly less than half way up. Any higher and I noticed it starts to clip... I think. its kinda loud to tell thats why i wanna use a DMM.

"i randomly set it by just listening to the subs perform with it turned on low while adjusting the gain."

Having the subs turned down low to set you gain is a bad idea. Cuz once you turn it up it would be like turning the gain up even higher than you had it set.

The best way I have found to set gains is to play the tone that your subs play the loudest and play it at the volume level you listen to your music at so for you it would be at 21(have the gain and bass boost down at zero for that part). now leave that playing and slowly turn up the gain on your amp(check your subs frequently as you turn it up). You should notice when the subs start clipping if you listen hard. The only way I can describe it is that it is just a different tone almost. It sounds kinda dirty. Once you hear that turn the gain down a tiny bit so that you no longer hear the distortion and then you have your gain set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
thanks for the input i really appreciate it. i've never taken the time to learn about the gain or bass eq and its too bad cause i've most likely been over working my subs for the past year. when i get it installed i'll let you guys know where i end up setting the levels. (eq at zero of course)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us