Help with my first system

Username: Sanders

Post Number: 1
Hi guys.
So I recently bought an '86 Toyora Carolla... it's a beater but runs nicely. I've got four speakers (Pioneers), two front, two back. Next I want to get a sub+amp, hoping to cap it at $500 not counting install. What would you recommend?

My main concern is rattle... the damn car already rattles with just the speakers. I imagine this will get exponentially worse with a sub, what can I do?
Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 44
J/w what kind of HU are you running and are you going for SQ or just spl

Post Number: 2
I assume HU = hook-up? I do not know exactly, I know the guy put the front two speakers where the stock ones used to be. I actually just have one speaker in the rear, which is sitting in a sort of hole between my trunk and the flat part behind the seat under the back window. As far as I know, nothing else has been installed. I have a new battery, if that matters. SW meaning software? I believe they were Pioneer TS-somethings. The deck is an Alpine. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Username: Loudnproud

Post Number: 2
HU=Head Unit...or radio/am-fm-cd player
and he said SQ or SPL
SQ=sound quality is good but doesn't get really loud
SPL=Gets really loud, but lacks in quality

there is also, SQL...which is a combination of the 2...gets loud but keeps sound quality too.

First thing, IMO...if you're gonna add a sub, you dont need the rear speakers. I run my setup with front speakers, and the subs.....and it sounds great.

hope that helped you understand things a little bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 54
I would definitely do some reading in these forums and in the archives and read up for info b4 u buy there is lots of useful info you should know b4 u buy your stuff how to install and set up so read up then figure out what u want then get an idea of what you want

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9897
also your alternator will be between 55 and 60 amps depending what model 86 Carolla you own....so keep your vehicles basic electrical needs in mind along with the electrical demands of your amplifier or amplifiers

Bronze Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 75
if you're looking for a good starter system that you can notice the subs, i wold go for some kicker comps. sonicelectronix.com has them buy one get one right now, and they don need a lot of watts to do the job, so you won't rip your checks for an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 120
Lucas is right. I have a pair of 12" CompVR's I built the box and power them at 4ohms with A ZX750.1 Personaly its amazing, they will get loud but stay clean sounding or I can turn the bass up untill it is so strong that i cant stand it. (your ears start to hurt from the vibrations...its a good but wierd feeling you will know it when you experiance it tho)
I built my box for about $30
Expect to pay at least $150 for a pair of CVR's
and figure about $200 for the Zx750.1 amp
so just under $400 for the main stuff then calculate wire, and instalation

Gold Member

Post Number: 9902
I dont think he is talking about the cvr's I think he is talking about the regular comps

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1840
I wouldn't feel comfortable running 900w on his electrical.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all the replies guys. I listen to Hiphop, and am primarily interested in deep, head bumping bass. This will use a lot of wattage, I assume?

Should I also think about getting a better alternator or something? Is that possible?

I am not even going to think about installing it, I am very electronically-illiterate. I was planning on buying a sub+amp online and then getting it installed at Audiotronic store here.
Cheers

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1842
What about a 15" kicker CVR with a zx500.1?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1844
Or possibly 2 Audioque SD2 12's or a single SDC2.5 15?

http://www.audioque.com/aq/SD2_Series.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 78
if you can get a pair of 12 CVR' sanywhere for 150 sanders, i wouldnt pass it up, someplaces try and get rid of them for 160 a piece. i was talking about normal comps, but thats because its your first time so if anything happened to your subs (blown) it wouldnt hurt as much because they wouldnt have costed that much

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 654
comps suck... at least get the cvr's..

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-Kicker-compvr-subwoofer-Speaker-CVR12-CVR-12-SUB_W0QQi temZ140248072680QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you can get either 2 or 4 ohm voice coils

Gold Member

Post Number: 9908
unless you get a high output alternator I wouldnt run more than 400 rms to a sub....Id do a single audioque sd2 15 not the 2.5 if you have the room for it

Post Number: 4
What exactly is a 'comp' and a 'cvr'? How do they differ?

What is AudioQue? I've never heard of them, and there aren't any products on ebay. Seems a little odd?

Let's say I run this:
A 15" kicker CVR with a zx500.1. Would that be 'running more than 400 rms' to a sub, like Sean says? Do I control how much power is ran into the sub by using the amp? With a system like that, would I need to let it cool off after awhile or could I run it continuously for a couple hours on long drives? I'm worried about damaging my car, it already has some issues with starting up if it's sat for a couple days.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm really pretty clueless here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9911
a kicker comp is kickers entry level sub. An ok sub but nothing special. A kicker cvr is kickers next step up its a decent step up from the entry level comps and can get pretty loud but I dont care for the sound quality. The audioque is a sub division of digital design a very respected company and many here have bought digital designs and audioque products. One of the reasons I recommended the audioque sd 2 entry line is it is rated 300 rms and you can buy a class d mono amp for efficiency and set it conservative to run the sub and it will get louder than you would expect but make sure you have the room for the 15.

www.audioque.com

you can set an amplifier gain with a digital multimeter so that the amp produces what you want to give to the sub and an amp of good quality will not overheat one like that kicker zx 500.1 would be of good quality and there are other brands as well that are good but in the case of the audioque sd 2 you would want an amp that produces your wattage at four ohms because the sub is a single four ohm.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 124
I got my Kicker CVR's from e-bay, took a little risk but i got them cheep, acutally at the time I only paid $80 for them from a repo store. Anyhow, i run my with a zx750.1 and planning to add a zx350.4 for my mids and highs this week but Im using a 90amp alternator, idk i assume this will be ok, i usually listen at about half volume

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 125
Oh by the way, changing your alternator is a piece of cake. As far as the wires go, it will be very minamal, you proably only have 2 or 3 wires that are in a plastic connector which can only be be plugged in one way. About 3 or 4 bolts will hold it on depending on your car, be sure that when you put it back together you keep your belts tight.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 596
I used to have 2 10" Kicker Comps on 200wrms in the trunk of a 1996 Intrepid. They were a great first system. I later upgraded to 2 15" Kicker Comps on 400wrms in a sealed box in the same trunk. They still got decently loud for being sealed and in a trunk.

For the price they are a great starting subwoofer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9912
"you can buy a class d mono amp for efficiency and set it conservative to run the sub"

What i meant was you can buy a mono amp that puts out more than the power you need at 4 ohms like this kicker 750.1 for 198.35 shipped

http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3917&aff=72182

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info and the link Sean, I'm in Canada though and I don't think Techronics ships there. Looks like a sick deal though. Also, why would I want to get an overpowered amp? Are you saying this wont have as much drain on my car?
Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 9914
well a class d amplifier will need the least amount of amperage to give its rated power and all class d amps are mono blocks (single channels) like that kicker 750.1. As far as the amplifier being a little over powered thats good to give you cleaner power.

Post Number: 6
ah I see what you mean Sean. What do you think about this package?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KICKER-CAR-AUDIO-BASS-COMBO-S12L7-SUB-ZX750-1-FREE-KIT_W0QQit emZ350079267676QQihZ022QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It includes a refurbished 750.1 and one L7 Kicker Solo-Baric 12" sub, plus a wiring kit. Looks like it's just an amp wiring kit and I'll need to buy seperate cables to hook up the sub? Or maybe no?
I'd really appreciate anyones input on setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9919
Running that sub and amp combo will be too much for your stock electrical. Also that wiring is cheap and not sufficient for that amp if you were going to run it the way they intended. If the slolobaric is the 08 model they are supposed to have reinforced them because they were known to break on previous models because of uneven stress at the corners. They also wernt known for the best sound quality but the 08 models are said to have improved.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1850
What do you think about this....

Amp-
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2008-KICKER-ZX500-1-MONOBLOCK-AMP-08ZX500-1_W0QQit emZ350079512133QQihZ022QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sub-http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-CVR15-D4-15-CAR-SUB-WOOFER-CVR-1000-WATT-NEW_W0QQitem Z140248302352QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OR

You can hit up a great guy on here that goes by Paul Larrea, he has a brand new zx500.1 for sale and any wiring you will need. Just create a thread tittling his name and I'm sure he will help you out.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Sean and Donnie, I've realized that I'm getting ahead of myself and will need to do some serious work on the car to eliminate rattle before I put in the system... it is already shaking around with just the speakers. Going to roll out the Dynamat and take out the back section behind the seats (that has a hole in it, which I believe is the source of most of the rattle). Thanks for all your help, I think I'll end up just getting one Kicker CVR 12incher and prolly the ZX500

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6340
imo you should just change that 12" cvr to a 15" cvr.

Post Number: 8
I'd love to have more bass ctmike, but I fear the electrical drain on the car and possibility of it tearing my ride apart outweigh my desire for more boom.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6344
the zx500 you plan on running the 12" would do just fine for the 15" though, so might as well step it up and get it. you're car wont far apart from it.

Post Number: 9
alright... would a zx400.1 get the job done for a 15 incher?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6345
yeah, but why not just get the 500 you had planned on?

Post Number: 10
Because it's a lot ($100) cheaper:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KICKER-ZX400-1-MONOBLOCK-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-MONO-AMP_W0QQite mZ270256154908QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
($124 + 18 shipping) as compared to
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-08-KICKER-ZX500-1-MONOBLOCK-AMP-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQi temZ280245127612QQihZ018QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
($235 + 25 shipping)

Will I be underpowered?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9923
"also your alternator will be between 55 and 60 amps depending what model 86 Carolla you own....so keep your vehicles basic electrical needs in mind along with the electrical demands of your amplifier or amplifiers"

The zx 400.1 would be better for the reason posted above as well.

Also something else to consider

The cvr 12 suggests

Sealed Box Volume -1 - 4.6
Ported Box inner volume -1.75 - 2.20

The cvr 15 suggests

Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 1.8 - 5.2
Ported Box Volume (cu ft) 3 - 5

I got those box recommendations off of ebay so make sure they are right by checking with kickers website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us