Fi Q 15 vs. SSA Icon 15

Bronze Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 91
Anybody had experience with both? What were the main differences? Louder? Better Sound quality? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Likeapuma

Washington/Utah

Post Number: 118
Well my own personal opinion is that the Icon isn't a very good sub. I don't know about the Q, but I thought that FI was the build house for SSA's subs.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6314
i like the icon. only heard one sealed for a little bit and enjoyed it. very good sq with some decent output. never heard them side by side though so can't really give a good comparision, but either way you can't lose. imo i would say whatever you could afford (can't remember exact prices, but i think the icon was a little more).

and remember, you could get a icon/fisher customs box deal which may save you money.

Silver Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 214
johnny.. i cant obviously tell you you are wrong, as i have no experience with ssa woofers (and i also did not like the sound of my fi subs) but i must ask.. what is your experience? what happened etc.

Silver Member
Username: Likeapuma

Washington/Utah

Post Number: 119
I've just heard a 12" icon, and was very unimpressed. It was in a ported enclosure which I don't usually like so that could have been part of it. But I just didn't hear the sound quality so many people talk about. On the other hand, I've owned some real SQ subs like a 12" IDMAX, 15" Crystal Mobilesound CompX2, and others. But again, it's just one man's opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 759
That is a shame it was not a good install. It has received glowing unbiased reviews from the guys at DIYMA (and they are bigger SQ heads that the majority of the audio net), in addition to Kippel testing to support those reviews. Ported box sizes for the Icon, are on the larger end of the spectrum.

For an idea through a WinISD for an Icon 15 and Kippel results for an Icon 12, showing it is a real SQ sub, just look how flat the response curves are, and the late roll off. In the WinISD graph in their optimal boxes the colors go like so:

Blue - Fi Q 15 in 3ft^3 @ 30Hz
Red - RE SE 15 in 3.5ft^3 @ 30Hz
White- SSA Icon 15 in 5.75ft^3 @ 25Hz

Upload

Kippel Results:

Upload

Upload

Reviews: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38293

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33953

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16972

Silver Member
Username: Gibsonguy

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 256
As you can see from the graph though the funkypup outlined in lime green dominated all. it had a perfectly flat response curve between 19 and 500hz and the output was also quite impressive. I think that should help with your decision making process if you are looking for true sq heaven.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
Funky Pup works best in 12th order BP 9cube boxes.

Silver Member

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 259
but that graph of the icon compared to the q and the se is a bit misleading in my opinion. someone who didn't read the box specs you posted would infer the Icon was a better low end driver than the q or the se. but after looking at the large differences in box specs. it's evident you were going for better low end response with the icon than with the other drivers.

all 3 of them had very flat response curves, so i wouldnt say one is deff. a much better sounding sub than another based on the graph. They all seem to do pretty well in that regard.

I was wondering though, what amp was used with each of the drivers? Im just wondering how much power each driver saw in the test, since that's a big factor as well as far as output is concerned.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2157
I want to see the Fi Q in that 5.75 box that the Icon is in, and the Icon in the same 3 cube box that the Q is in. That Q box seems a little small if you ask me, and it would give a better comparison :-)

Kevin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
^x2

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
Seeing that someone else made that WinISD chart, and posted it on CA.com, it is not trying to make the driver look better. Link since people would prefer to say I was trying to fix the results. http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4829124&postcount=37

Not to mention I had said the Icon prefers larger than average (exact reason we canceled the 18" model), in addition it is WinISD hence the rough "idea", not set in stone.

For the most part, that WinISD graph shows that the Fi and the RE cater a little better to the masses with a stronger peak in a more in cabin type environment.

Silver Member

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 267
Quote from the person who posted the graph.

"Unfortunately, the Icon is beast in that diagram because it is in it's optimal enclosure according to WinISD"

and a note to readers...all of these graphs have just been made with winisd, no actual subwoofer testing was done here. it's all theoretical testing done with a program that uses driver/box specifications to try to show real world results.

just something that should be considered when looking at these graphs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
Exactly, BBP6, Leap, WinISD, and so on are only guides to give a starting point or idea.

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 454
I can comment on the 12" versions of each.

I just swapped out my Q for an ICON earlier this week. And so far, I am liking it. To me, the difference between the two is very minimal. I think we all know the Fi products have a pretty good reputation. And with the ICONS being pretty new, it hasnt quite developed a widely known reputation, yet ;)

But saying the Q and ICON are very comparable, says a lot about SSA, in my opinion.

To me, it sounded like the ICON may have had just a little more low end, but I dont think it got quite as loud as the Q.

Both are extremely good drivers, and you really cant go wrong with whatever you choose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Well Bj, how much for a loaded box with the the Icon (15in), 3.5cuft 32hz?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4060
Cozce, look here. :-)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18031

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 455
Yep, check that thread ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »