Mmm.... Deep fried tinsels

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1817
So today my friend called me and wanted me to look at his subs, said they just randomly stopped working (12" massive CM's). I took them back to my house, and noticed right away one of the tinsels was fried where it connects to the terminals. The other lead reads nothing. The moving assembly unbolts, so I pulled it off and noticed half way across the spider the other lead was burnt. The coil has a little discoloration an the bottom half, but still looks fine and some rub marks inside the former.

So, the one with a burn mark in the middle of the tinsel in the spider, is it safe to soldier or will it tear up the spider? It has woven leads btw.

My camera can't take clear enough pics to do justice so if you guys can just bare with me.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1818
Just glanced at the other one and of the tinsels was separated at the terminal, looks like someone had re-soldiered it before.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1821
Bump!

Anyone think soldering a tinsel in the middle of a spider is a bad idea?

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 600
don't see much of a problem... What other choices do you have?!? Length and durability should be the main concerns..

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1448
you cant hurt it, why not and i would solder in a piece of speaker wire for extra travel

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8324
If it's already broken and not working I guess you really can't make it worse now can you? A little bit of logic can possibly take you far in life.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1822
Well I just didn't know if there was a better way. My friend was asking if we could just totally bypass the woven leads, and try and kinda make a whole new lead. If I thrash the spider doing something dumb, then were left nothing.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 608
I would stick with your 1st idea.... IMO a better chance of success..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us