Questions about alt problems

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21624
alright here's the deal. my uncle's bmw525i battery died last night. his car is a 2001.

anyways the battery was replaced 2 years ago from sears. we will go get another battery and replace it.

but my question is what if the alt is bad? we can get a new battery but that will die fast also. so how can i check to see if the alt is good or not? if i stick a dmm and it reads 14volts+ does that mean the alt is good?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4034
Yeah, stick a dmm on the alt. And from my experiences with alts, it should read around 13.8+

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7866
Put the DMM anywhere..... on the battery is easiest. If you get 13+ volts the alt is good, simple as that.

DO NOT try running the car without a battery in it though, some people will tell you to test an alt that way which is absolutely WRONG.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21626
thanks ms. i was googling about it and some said test it without the battery. now i know i ain't gonna do that.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7867
Good..... that is a easy way to blow the alt if it's still good. Some people don't understand that the battery has 2 functions, to supply power with the motor off, and to act as a buffer with it on. Without it the voltage regulator in the alt cannot handle the sudden changes in current draw and will be easily damaged.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us