Is Car Audio Interest Declining?

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 945
I'm not sure how you guys area is going, but around here there are many shops going under. I don't even know where the closest shop is anymore, there were three around here (including the shop I worked at) within the last 6 months that went out of business.

Maybe people are just going to BB and CC? Maybe people are too concerned about gas prices to worry about the audio in there car?

I'm not sure, but please give me any input on this you guys have.

Silver Member

Post Number: 946
To add to this, my old boss told me there just isn't an interest before he quit the business and moved. He said you used to be able to hear someone bumping at every stop light, and now you go entire trips without hearing anybody.

Bronze Member
Username: Cozce

Post Number: 33
Car audio gives me a reason to drive my car. Seriously before my amp blew I realized that I would never be at home when my sub was beating because I'm a bit of a basshead and the music just isn't the same without the sub bass. Now that I can't power my sub I'm always at home....Idk maybe that's just me lol.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8303
The reason car audio is doing bad is because EVERYTHING is doing bad right now. The economy hasn't been this bad in a very long time. People don't see reason to put in expensive car audio systems in a car that they dread to drive because of the insane gas prices. It was cool when you could pay $1.xx per gallon and fill up on 25 bucks and go cruising all night long bumping around the city but unless you have money to burn you don't see it much anymore. Now people drive because they have to and not because they just feel like it.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 556
cant speak for anybody but me.... this car audio sh!t is a way of life.... It consumes a lot of my time and resources.. Too much, if you ask my old lady! lol

But the loud music laws and slowing econ. has a lot to do with the decline, i would imagine!

Silver Member
Username: Qslimms

Swanton, Oh Usa

Post Number: 156
"cant speak for anybody but me.... this car audio sh!t is a way of life.... It consumes a lot of my time and resources.. Too much, if you ask my old lady! lol"

I hear ya mark its like crack to me.My wife is gettin sick of it to but she can go before my beats do.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2189
"My wife is gettin sick of it to but she can go before my beats do."

LMFAO i love my bass just as much as the next guy but idk if i love it more than pusssy

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1799
I agree RayRay, I do like cat's, but I would choose bass over any stupid pet...

Silver Member
Username: Qslimms

Swanton, Oh Usa

Post Number: 157
ray im married i dont get that no more

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 2124
Well, it depends on the area. Of course like Rob said, the nation hasn't been this bad since the 30's when the depression was going on. It isn't like put $10 in and cruise all night anymore. That alone is a good reason for the decline.

Your next issue, you have to bring it to your area. You can't expect everyone has car audio on the brain. You need to advertise and get some competitions going. That's where you get your clients. Wher eI live in Columbus, audio was dead. After I moved here and chill at the park with htese guys and letting them hear my stuff, they get hooked. Once they hear it, they will want it. It may not be an intrest to them at anytime in their life until they actually hear a good clean non-rattle setup.

But now at the park we chill at, there are about the same number of stereo guys as the "ricer" and racing guys. All about what you can do for your area and get the hobby going again.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5272
Main cause is internet sales and flea markets.. If you can get crazy deals at either place why pay close to retail or retail at a local shop/store?

Without sales the shops can't make over-head so eventually they will go under. The bad thing is they do not make much off sales, mostly labor. But when there is no sales there normally is not much labor :-(

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3809
car audio is actually getting stronger here in new mexico especially farmington. weve already had 3 events this year and 2 more one the way. and one of which is a 3x point event in dbdrag!
unfortunately I have a car audio obsession, which drives my wife insane as well. BUT I keep doing it. =( its really my only hobby. bujt the economy is def. hurting right now...which hurts everything and everyone. except oil companies. =( I hope the cost of oil goes down. and the retards on capital hill pull their head out their a.ss and open up more leases for offshore drilling and other hot spots. I don't know how it will fair if obama becomes president. =/

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 557
As bad as we all think it(car audio) is, We can look at in a positive way... Even now we have good solid car audio mnanufacturers developing and releasing top-notch equipment for us(Bassaholics- there I said it) to feed our need.... Or give us a goal to strive for. And the prices ,for the most part, are reasonable. It has NEVER been a better time to pick up some killer deals ,NEW! Not to mention used. My wife knows it is an addiction.... But then that's why I go to comps and hang out on here...... To be around other addicts...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17312
You'll all be like me someday. Taking the "bump" inside.

And true, gas prices are insane. Adding a couple hundred pounds in your already gas guzzling suv sucking down $4 gallons of gas will hurt, even cripple. Oil prices are hurting everyone across the board, not just the cost of filling up at the pump. Even the cost of the equipment itself is rising due to the trickle down effect.

And from what I see the internet is only helping car audio as a whole to improve. Think of how many ppl even here who would otherwise never of heard of companies like SI, FI, or DD without the net.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9771
ive been into home audio/home theater and car audio for a long time so im set in either area but im guessing almost everyone here would say they were into both too if they gave home audio a chance because yeah we might like bass but its also the music and how it comes alive on a system and then theres surround sound systems and how movies come alive....as far as shops closing the shop I used to work at closed a year or so ago and tweeter just closed up where I live recently too

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 532
it all depends on the area. yes everyone is por now and gas is high but that doens't stop people. after i had my first good set up 2 of my freinds got systems. when we went to watch fire works at the townfire work thing i heard more systems that i even knew could be in the state. i think its just the area..

but it wil be less because of the crappy gas prices

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4647
Most car audio shop feed on there customers anyways and when people find out they have been screwed they don't go back. High labor and overinflated main stream product force the average person into the DIY world, like us... Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7852
With gas at $4 / gallon and food prices rising also people cut back on luxury items....... like stereos.

One of the local shops around here closed as well now theres only one left.

Silver Member

Post Number: 948
Yeah I thought labor charges were high and people were making a fortune as well, but after seeing where my boss lived, I'm not sure. I mean, after paying the franchise, taxes, and rent fees for the building, he managed to afford a small 1-story cookie cutter home. College eduamacation ftw

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3816
edge audio closed its doors as well. scott owens and kyle weatherspoons shop.

you don't need a college edu to make good money. =) oilfield ftw

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1409
I used to hang out at Carolina Audio a lot- I never bought too much though, I just liked the people. You're right colby, everythings going down around us. It's probably the fact you have to drive 2 hours to a comp. If we could get something- even small going on here to make it fun for beginners it would be good. People have too much pride to see their stuff sucks sometimes though- instead of just thinking- man, I'll work on it and do better next time.

I don't know, but we need to do something to spike the interest a bit. I remember being in highschool/college and everyone having some beat. Now there's barely anyone even the kids like there used to be.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 272
i agree with colby, its all about advertising, Circuit City and best buy, we have futureshop and best buy up here in canada, people will see a deck advertised for cost, and think wow thats cheap, but theyll charge triple for their speakers, and amps, these big companys have a way of brainwashing people, 2 shops have closed down since futureshop opened with their crappy equipment,

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 748
Car is a luxury and not a need. If you notice there are a number of topics in the classified sections across the net where people are selling their entire audio collection or system.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17342
The current economy is forcing alot of ppl to do things they never thought they would.

Giving up car audio is NOT a tragedy. Losing a home is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us