Sub Broken Please HELP!!

Silver Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 155
Okay so here's the story:
about a Month ago i blew the Tinsel Leads to my Fi Q I contacted Scott and he sent me 2 new leads and a dustcap yesterday i broke into the sub and replaced the negative leads(thoose were the only ones blown off)This morning i hooked up the sub And altough some bass did play it was not very loud and when i played a song with lower end bass i could hear rattling coming from within the sub also their wasn't much excursion. So question is...

1.do i need to replace both the positive and negative tinsel leads? Scott just sent me 2 but i didn't tell him it was dual 2 ohm sub either so he may have thought i was just replacing one side

2.Is it fixable or will i just need to buy a new sub? is a recone a possible fix?

Thanks for any help.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 157
bump

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 158
Alright i found out why it wasn't loud turns out my gain was set all the way off i thought i left it the way it was but i guess not but their still is that scratching noise when deep bass hits.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17292
Scratching means VC rubbing. (Mostly) Try pushing on the sub lightly without playing music. Still scratching? You may be over exerting it also. Could be why the leads came off in the first place.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 160
How would i fix VC Rubbing? and when i puch on it without music it's not the same sound as when it plays but i can hear a scratching type of noise.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17293
Sounds like the VC has suffered damage and/or thermal overload. A repaired tinsel won't fix this. You may need a recone.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 162
How much do thoose usually run?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17295
About $350.

Depends on the sub.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 164
For a Fi Q...and 350 is more than i paid for the sub itself haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17304
That was a joke.

It also depends on if you do the recone yourself or ship it to them to do.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1788
I'm guessing this does not have woven tinsels? Maybe you have some tinsel slap?

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 165
I'm not sure if their woven.. 2 are the orginals and 2 are the replacements he sent me how would i fix tinsel slap?
And how hard is a recone to do? I'm willing to do it myself if it's fairly simple and price guess for recone kit?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1792
I'm going to guess around $100 for the recone by itself. I have never did a recone myself, but looks fairly simple.

There isn't really a "Fix" for tinsel slap, it's more less just a patch. I've seen people use a small piece of felt on the cone to protect where the tinsels slaps (hence the name tinsel slap). Can you get any pics or the sub where the tinsels are?

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 166
Ya i'll pull it out tommorow and take some pics is it caused from to long of tinsels? cuz the ones i replaced it with i left fairly big i didn't thing it would matter.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1793
That could do it.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 169
Well i added some padding above and below the tinsels and it still makes the noise i played the sub free air and if i have the sub slanted it doesn't make it that loud unless i turn it up but if the sub is standing up if i put my hand over the hole in the bottom it gets louder... Guessing I'll be needing a new sub or re-cone... let me know what i can do.. And on a scale of 1-10 how hard is a re-cone to do yourself...

Silver Member
Username: Explictx

Glen Burnie, Maryland USA

Post Number: 646
I read a how to on reconing and all it really is, is just cutting out the old cone pealing the rest of the old stuff off and gluing the new one on. just have to have patients and dont rush so it comes out right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17336
Here's a start. Don't do this lol:

Instead take a look at this old vid and it might help you understand what's involved.

Or this might help.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1811
Nice vids Paul. In the second vid they make it look too easy, never knew thats how they magnetized the motors either.

Silver Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 171
Thanks for all the help guys especially with those videos.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us