I wanna know some good subs and amps for decent prices

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through July 03, 2008ballinhigh11100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9806
The alarm is a very good idea....And if you are going to add a second sub later you might not have the room for two 15's....measure and see what you can fit in the trunk but make sure its something you can get in there through the trunk opening safely....when you take the measurements write them down and post them here and well see what we can do

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinhigh11

Post Number: 49
yeah sounds good, also where could I find a wire kit for cheaper price?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5277
i would not start doing anything without an alarm.. just get an alarm, a nice h/u.. and save up

Gold Member

Post Number: 9812
like kevin said it is important to have an alarm first I know you want to get a system in there so its up to you how you want to do this but an alarm will keep your investment safe (or at least safer than no alarm) as for an amp kit they arent cheap with wiring that size but if you want it ready for later youll need it

Gold Member

Post Number: 9813
the ads are getting in the way so ill post this here

you could get away with this kit to keep it cheap and adjust the fuse size if you need to

http://cgi.ebay.com/DB-LINK-2-GAUGE-COMPETITION-CAR-AUDIO-AMP-WIRING-KIT_W0QQite mZ300238142721QQihZ020QQcategoryZ32808QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD7VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_tr ksidZp1638Q2em123

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
yeah maybe I'll think about getting an alarm, and for the h/un I have now, it should work fine for what I am going to do until I upgrade.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
What kind of box should I make for the one 15?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9814
ported 2.25 cubic feet after the sub and port tuned to 35 hz but did you check those dimensions I asked you for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
With the dimensions of W-24 H-17.5 and Dep-14 it will fit

Gold Member

Post Number: 9815
this is to fit through the trunk opening only right....and how much height do you have clearance wise from the back deck and trunk lid

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
17 1/4 Height
3ft tire to tire
24" deep

Gold Member

Post Number: 9816
with the way your trunk is layed out and the trunk opening is id say go with a 12 instead of the 15 if you plan on running two subs later

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
yeah maybe that would be better what sub should I go with if I decide to go with the 12

Gold Member

Post Number: 9817
the audioque sdc 2.5 12

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
yeah I'm kinda thinking I could stay with the one 15 then when I want to switch it up I could sell it then by some 12's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9818
ok this is for the audioque hdc 2.5 15 internal measurements....22 w 15.5 h 12.5 d 2.46 cubic feet minus .27 for the port = 2.19 cubic feet with a port 3 high by 7 wide and 13.25 long (12.50 internal) and youll be at a port tune of about 36 hz after the sub and youll have to put the port on the side of the box and the sub firing up on the extreme opposite end of the box away from the port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
ok great thank you for all the help man, I wouldn't of gotten anywhere without all your help, I'l let you know how everything sounds once I got it bumpin

Gold Member

Post Number: 9819
your welcome and I look forward to it

Gold Member

Post Number: 9820
use .75 mdf to build the box

Gold Member

Post Number: 9824
"ok go a set of these in the front doors and a set of them in the back doors"

correction....go with a set of these in the front doors and a set of these in the back deck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
ok so should I go with the sd2.5 or the hdc, or did you just give me the hdc for measurements

Gold Member

Post Number: 9825
the hdc 2.5 15

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
is it that much better than the sd2.5, worth the extra $100?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9826
im sorry I forgot it was called the sdc 2.5 15....thats the sub I gave you the dimensions for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
alright sweet

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5278
i just realized in my storage ive got a bnib viper791xv alarm ..$150 shipped.. only opened to see if everything was there

better deal if you got the amps too, but not likely seeing them seem to be sold over at ca

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5279
for them money, get he kicker 1/0 kit off ebay for $80shipped .. then get a nice set of RCAs anywhere

Gold Member

Post Number: 9841
"for them money, get he kicker 1/0 kit off ebay for $80shipped .. then get a nice set of RCAs anywhere"

yeah if you can afford it do that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
hey should I get a FI sub or a DD instead of teh sd2.5 or is that good enough and still I cant decide whether or not to go with 1 15 or 2 12's

Gold Member

Post Number: 9842
dont go with Fi tinsel issues....unless they fixed it....the digital design would be a better built speaker but cost more....the audioque subs are their cheaper subs but still decent....as far as one 15 or two twelves I ran the numbers you dont have enough room to give the 12's enough airspace (and firing distance) with the port and fit the amp in there

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
ok well one 15 should be sweet anyways

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I was kinda going for SQL and I heard the FI Q sub was good for that, but i'll go with the sd2.5 if its good sql too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9843
yeah the sd 2.5 is sql

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
ok cool

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5280
ugh, just man up and buy something lol.. didn't like it sell it and try something else

this will not be your only system and most the time youll end up changing it up later on

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
yeah buddy I'm gunna buy everything today, but I was gunna make sure I was getting something I was going to like because I won't have the money to upgrade for a while.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9846
I doubt youll be disappointed in what we have talked about you getting

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Yeah man I'm pumped, can't wait

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
hey sean, I was just about to order those alpine speakers from crutchfield but then it said they wont fit in my car. But the measuerments are the same as the reccomened speakers that fit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9884
you have a 1998 saturn sl2 right because its saying it fits for the front door and back deck....call crutchfield and talk to them directly they will help you figure out if you can or cant

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 752
Sean, the Fi tinsels broke when the drivers were being pushed outside their design limits. It is an issue with user abuse, not driver design. And due to Fi getting tired of having to do re-cones for people abusing their sub woofers, they changed their lead style.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17402
^^^That's arguable. Morons abuse every sub out there that's made and will continue to do so. It just seems we've seen more ppl complain about FI with it than any other manufacturer. In turn it has caused a consensus that FI subs have "bad" leads. It is what it is.

Mind you I don't push any sub I love I've owned passed its' design limits so I can't speak from experience. I love my Q and will so for some time.

Now for those subs I couldn't care less about........

They sleep with the fishes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
lol sh1t its a SC1 and I ordered them already

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
Paul, the level of the Fi topics with tinsels can be directly related the sheer amount of sub woofers they build.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9885
well ballin they had great customer service years ago when I bought stuff through them call them up and cancel....I commented a few times about the saturn sl2 and you never corrected me so I thought I was right

Gold Member

Post Number: 9886
"^^^That's arguable. Morons abuse every sub out there that's made and will continue to do so. It just seems we've seen more ppl complain about FI with it than any other manufacturer. In turn it has caused a consensus that FI subs have "bad" leads. It is what it is."

thats why I hesitate to recommend an fi sub

"Paul, the level of the Fi topics with tinsels can be directly related the sheer amount of sub woofers they build"

that still doesnt change the fact of what Paul stated previously

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
What, that there is a very high percentage of Fi subs sold within the on line car audio community and many of those customers abuse their drivers then complain of tinsel breakage? They are directly related. The same effect holds true for Kicker subs with the sound, Kicker competitors have won or placed very high with their rectangular sub in Sound Quality competitions, but across the net there is this rampant perception that the L5's and L7's could never have clean sound. Same process with the latest Rockford amplifiers. So many people blindly saying the older amplifiers were so much better and all the new models are total crap. With the high numbers of Fi subs sold, there is going to be a higher number of complaints from abuse seen. With the high number of L7's sold, there is going to be a higher number of sound complaints from boxes not optimal for cleaner sound. With the constantly increasing number of Rockford amplifiers sold, there is going to be a higher number of failures seen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9888
as far as the fi issues we already answered them and until I see a trend of the new fi subs working without issues I wont recommend them....as for other brands thats not the topic but I have met a guy who placed or won sq competitions with a old model kicker solobaric l7 15 in a sealed box so I know what your saying and concerning the rockford amplifiers I cant say I know of any specific problems with them so I wont comment there bottom line on the fi topic we will have to agree to disagree

ps....im not out to cause an argument just express an opinion as im sure you are too

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
As for the new sandwiched leads, I don't believe there has been an issue yet, and I talk to Nick daily.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
yeah thats weird, I never remembered you saying the sl2, otherwise I would of said its the sc1. I phoned crutchfield though and they said the alpines will fit fine just about a mm off in the front doors

Silver Member
Username: Gibsonguy

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 254
didnt have time to read the thread...but yeah stay away from FI unless you want to break some tinsel leads....

...lol....i just want denim to post some more on this forum defending the companies that are on his forum. it's pretty good entertainment.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3723
Ive owned/heard/seen Fi SSD's,Q's,BL's and older BTL's(12"-18")and none of them had any problems at all with tinsels. Well let me take that back one of the SSD 12's had a problem with the tinsels slap because he had 2000RMS on a 800RMS sub thats 1200RMS more than it need so we expected that to happen. So besides that everything is all good.

4 SSD's
4 Q's
3 BL's
2 older BTL's

Out of those subs above just the one SSD 12" had issue and you know why(way overpowering)

I like Fi subs and I will buy fi subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Where can I find some .75 mdf?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5286
Lowes/Home Depot

Gold Member

Post Number: 9891
"yeah thats weird, I never remembered you saying the sl2, otherwise I would of said its the sc1. I phoned crutchfield though and they said the alpines will fit fine just about a mm off in the front doors"

Thats great that they will fit. You must have been excited about getting a system because I mentioned about the sl2 three times. Its ok though stuff happens.

"Post Number: 9725

well if you have a 98 saturn sl2 you have a 90 amp stock"

"Post Number: 9748

ps....If you do have the 98 saturn sl2"

"Post Number: 9884

you have a 1998 saturn sl2 right"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Haha yeah man I went back and read that, I'm an idiot. I was probably to pumped to care what car it was going into haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9893
nahh your not an idiot you were just pumped as you said but it all worked out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
yeah man, but on the Audioque site it says 4.5 cu ft for a single 15". It says this under http://www.audioque.com/aq/whatSubs.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 9895
ok tell you what call DJ at audioque and see what he says the box size ranges are for your sdc 2.5 15 and what he recommends for your tastes and we will work a box design out....it might have to be built a certain way to get it in your trunk but we will get it in there

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Hey sean I talked with DJ and he gave me some information about the box I should build. I told him you helped me a lot and he said that your a great box builder and that you could help me out. I'll let you know what he said. E mail me at steins_hockey9@hotmail.com Thanks man

Gold Member

Post Number: 9938
Ok bud email sent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
how long should I let this glue dry?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9999
Crutchfields qoute is this "Let the caulk cure for 12-24 hours before putting the subwoofer back in. Some silicon caulk releases acetic acid fumes while curing, which have the potential to destroy subwoofer surrounds."

Which is true but Id say 24 hours to make sure everything is dry. Heres a link to crutchfields box build tutorial if you need it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ier8wwKxFH6/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers/box _building.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Alright, so i got the box built and everything. Im just gunna sand it all good now and then could i use some kind of nice spraypaint to make it look good? or should i use some carpet or something.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10005
Dont use spray paint. It will come out nicer with carpet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10007
Heres some carpeting tutorials by elemental designs.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/el...gns_carpet1.php

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/el...gns_carpet2.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
sh1t it says page not found when I click on the link

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10013
Go to this link and click on them and they will work.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36348

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
whats up man, I just got everything going and dammmn does it sound good. It gets really loud but still has unreal SQ. I'll try and get a vid of it up here soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3777
What did you get?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I got an AQ 1200D, SDC2.5 15" and some alpine speakers. And Sean designed a great box that sounds awesome.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
...And great customer service and help from Dj

Gold Member

Post Number: 3778
True that^^^^^

How many cf?
Tuned?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10043
Im glad it turned out well. I hope you do make a video of it. Also how do those alpines sound? Are they keeping up with the bass? Also what amp kit did you get. And which way did you position the box? Dont crank the sub up really loud yet the sub needs to break in. Give it about a week or so before you push it. Also we need to set that gain right. We can set it to 500 rms to keep things cool on the electrical even at idle. Like I said the only time you might have light dimming is at night when the lights are on at idle. If you decide you want to set the gain to 600 rms please set it with the voltage calculator and be careful not to stress the electrical too much because that can cause clipping which isnt good for your sub or amp.

Heres a setting your amp gain tutorial that someone wrote on another forum that is good.

Three things are needed to accurately set your gain on your amplifier using a digital multi-meter. This is a great way to set your gain so you are not sending a clipped signal to your speakers.

First thing - Decent DMM with ability to test for AC current.
Second thing - Test tone CD or CD with 50 hz multiple times on it.(easiest way is to just download it a bunch of times, or just copy it in the folder on your PC.
Third thing is your amplifier output voltage you can calculate it here on this easy calculator. All you need is the power (RMS) that your amplifier puts out, and the reistance at shich it does it. ex. 500 watts at 2 ohms
Amp output voltage calculator

Set all of your Head Units contols to zero,(like bass, treble, any bass enhancements)
Turn your gain on your amplifer down to zero.

Set your DMM to AC
Connect your DMM to speaker outputs on the Amplifier (using + and - terminals on your amp and your DMM)
Put the Test tone cd in your HU and turn to 3/4 volume (or about as loud as you will listen to it.)
Now turn your gain up slowly until you reach your output voltage found earlier.

If you want to add those bass enhancements and such, when you find your correct gain setting, turn it back down some, that way you do not send unclean power to your amp and then onto your speakers.

A 50 hz test tone

Just go to the link and save the file to your pc and then burn it onto a cd in wave form and it will play on your cars cd player.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/50hz.mp3

A voltage calculator

http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

To set the amp gain to 500 watts with the sub wired to 2 ohms you need to set the amp gain to 31.6 volts

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10044
JD the box is 3.10 cubic feet after the sub and port with 36.25 square inches of port 14.5 x 2.5 port 13.5 inches total port length and its tuned to 40 hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Right now the sub is firing forward. And yeah I guess I should break it in, it's hard to do that's for sure. Especially when all my buddys wanna hear it cranked.

We phoned Dj and he helped us go through it all. But I am probably going to try all those steps that you posted, see what happens.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10046
You really should at least check where the voltage is set the way you have things right now just to make sure you arent pushing things too much. Also you never said how those alpines are doing or what amp kit you got.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
The alpines are great, put them in a while ago before the sub and everything. It's a huge differnce for sure makes it so much better. I got a 4 gauge amp kit from a local store called krazy krazy it seems to be pretty good.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4426
This is the longest "what should I get" thread in the history of E.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
sweeet

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 375
Wow i seen theres alot of posts, but i am not reading through 180 of them

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10050
haha Yeah Brad I figured. Ballinhigh11 Im glad things turned out good on the alpines as well but hopefully that power and ground wire is true four gauge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
yeah I wouldn't know, but it seems to be fine.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10054
The max amperage 4 gauge can carry is 120 amps I believe but I wouldnt personally try running that much current through it. The power your running now is ok but at 1200 watts if you ever do run that much power I would upgrade the power and ground. Thats why I recommended you run at least 2 gauge so you would be covered in either case.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Yeah the only reason I got 4 gauge was no stores here had 2 gauge or zero, and the shipping to Canada was to much if I bought it online.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10059
Oh ok. Well if for some reason you do decide to run the amps full 1200 watts later you can run a second run of four gauge for the power and a second run for the ground. (Yes you should do the ground also)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00307.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00308.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00309.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00310.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00312.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/St3ins/P_00311-1.jpg

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
And I was wondering how do I set it up to 1 ohm at whatver watts, cause right now it's at 2 ohm at 600 watts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10105
Thanks for the pics. Are you going to make any vids? It looks like you messed up on the port though. It should have been flush with the rest of the box. As far as the power setting you can only wire it to 2 ohms bridged which gives you as much as 870 watts depending at what voltage you set the gain at using that calculator I showed you. The sub is rated for 600 and it really wont gain much going over that and it will be better on your charging. Remember I told you we would only be using that much of the amps capability but it gave you room to upgrade if you got new subs and wanted to run more power. Right now with your electrical you couldnt support 1200 watts rms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Yeah your right I forgot, and yeah I don't know how that happened with the port lol, but that shouldn't make a difference right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10106
It made the tuning higher than what I told you it would be. As long as its not much shorter than I told you to build it and you like how it sounds its ok.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2313
Damn I can't beleive this thread is still going! lol Sorry,carry on.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10108
haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Yeah I think it sounds pretty good, but I'm going to make a new front that sticks out a couple inches farther to see how it sounds. And yeah i'll try and make a vid but I wanna use something other than my cell because it makes an awful video.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10111
Cool on the video and yeah a cell phone makes a bad quality. Make the port the length and dimensions I told you to make it and your fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Yeah all I gotta do then I guess is cut out those 2 little pieces and put them in there then.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
I was also wondering if the sub would sound louder facing backwards.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10115
Ok good fix that on the port. As far as the box position only way to know for sure is try it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Yeah I'm gunna try that out, too bad I cant fire it up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10117
Yeah but the good thing is you like how it sounds now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Yeah man, Sweet I am a Silver Member. And this thread is now an archive haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10119
haha congrats. Just make a new thread for the videos hint hint.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Thank you and ya i'll do that haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us