Will it fit?

nelly2567
hi, i have a 94 cutlass supreme 4 dr. and im looking to replace the front dash factory speakers. the factory speakers are 4" round speakers, and im looking for some components; preferably alpine. however alpine's smallest components are 5.25". if i get this, is there a way that i can get it to fit in the 4" hole? is there another component speaker system for around 100$ (ebay,etc) that would be comprable to the alpine type r's? THANK YOU.

DirtTrackRacer
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-DQwgX15ausS/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=76100&I=575FNP2414&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Anonymous
i have a 1990 plymouth acclaim what size speakers do i have in my doors i have no idea

DirtTrackRacer
Go here for the Acclaim: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Hba3WmZDc7C/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?s=0&id=&vehicleid=7062&cc=01&vb=&lp=

motoman22
Nelly, I can totally relate to your situation. Oldsmobile gives you a very tiny mounting surface and all that can fit is a 4" driver...unless you mount the speaker elsewhere.

There aren't pre-made kick panels available for your car BUT you do have options. Dirttrack showed you that there are quality 4" component sets out there but if you are an Alpine only kind of guy you'll just have to use a regular 4" coaxial speaker. Nothing wrong with these speakers, just don't expect too much sound out of them (bigger really is better in this case.)

The real fix for you is to have some kick panels made that mount 6.5" midbass drivers for your front stage. Many car audio shops can either make these custom for your vehicle OR they can adapt existing designs to work for you. Moving the mids down to the kick panels will reduce the difference in distance from your ears to each driver which, in turn, helps sound quality.

...or you can just throw some 4" mids in the dash and leave well enough alone.

nelly2567
Is it possible to add a component system to my car's kick panel without having new enclosures put in? can i maybe cut out corresponding sized holes in my door panel and just use that? once again, i drive a 94 cutlass supreme 4dr., and it has power windows/locks/mirrors (i dont know if that matters at all, but they're all mechanisms in the door.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us