2 IDMAX 12's?

Username: Gushybear

Post Number: 1
Hey there,

I currently have an RD audio alpha 12(ported), and while it is very (Very) loud (running on an rd 1750 amp) I feel its not accurate enough in the quick stuff. So i've looked around and alot of people say a w7 is overrated / overpriced, and for SQ in this range to go for an Fi Q or an IDMAX. well I think i've settled on an IDMAX, but cant decide if i wanna go with dual 10's or dual 12's. They will be sealed, and i listen to lots of rock but probably a third of the time it'd be hip-hop and bass intense music.

First question is will my 1750 amp be enough to run a pair of IDMAX's(at 1 ohm i'm assuming... dont subs have better power handling at 2 ohms because of less heat?) ??

Secondly, in terms of overall output, would 2 IDMAX 12's with about 700watts each@1 ohm in a sealed box be comparable to a ported (34hz) alpha 12 ?

Thanks for any input, and if you think i should switch the amp, do you have any suggestions that are moderately priced ?

Post Number: 2
OOPS!

also, its in an SUV, but i really want to minimize the space i'm taking up in the trunk. my stock alternator is 150amps, will this be sufficient?

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 457
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/manuals/iDMax/iDMax12D4V3.pdf
the IDMAX manuel says sealed is recommended for most users... I've only heard them ported... They get Low and loud... I believe the Freq resp. is 5-100 Hz... 1750 Wrms should push them nicely..
I would recommend a 250 amp alt, but 150 amps is a strong stock alt. I dont think you will be getting the full 1750 with it though.. good luck
and yes (imo)they will be comparable to the single ported alpha..

Post Number: 4
I think this amp is slightly overrated, and espescially at 1ohm its gotta be hard on the electrical system. and with the stock 150A alt, i'm guessing @ around 12V under load, and assuming i'm getting 100A charging power usable while the car is moving, thats 1200w conservatively... so a realistic 600+ watts getting to the subs, which should be enough.

Has anyone had any issues with an upgraded alternator and warranty?

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 464
haven't need warranty....... yet!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us