Problem with amp?

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 101
I know this may not belong here but there seems to be the most traffic in this forum.

I have a Kicker ZX750.1 Amp. It will run my car battery dead in about 14 hours if Everything is turned off. It has done this to me twice. I have wired the amp correctly... 4 gauge power and ground wire and the remote from my stero only has power when the switch is on. But when Everything in my truck is turned off the amp still draws about 3 amps and leaves me with a low battery after only sitting over night. I have also noticed that the amp gets very hot, like it never turns anything inside of it off.
I could install a high amp relay for around $12 so that is an option then the amplifier would ONLY get power when the the key switch is on. But I would like to know if this would hurt the amplifier. I have a properly working 95amp max alternater so i Believe that im not drawing to much when i have the motor running.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1383
make sure there are no frays in the power wire. one strand is all that is needed to turn on the amp otherwise disconnect the remote wire and see if the amp turns off. if it doesnt then there is a internal problem

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4099
you have a problem with the remote wire i am guessing. If you take the remote wire off the amp, does it shut off? if so, rewire the remote wire to the proper HU remote wire. If the hu remote wire is not working, wire it into a fused 12 volt source, such as the radio circuit, that way it gets power when the key is turned. and forget about a relay, they are only rated to about 25-35 amps. Your amp will use more then that. If you go that route, use a solinoid on the ground wire.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7766
So does the amps power light go off? Does it turn off if you disconnect the remote wire?

" forget about a relay, they are only rated to about 25-35 amps. Your amp will use more then that. If you go that route, use a solinoid on the ground wire. "

Solenoid is a type of relay........ and you want it on the POSITIVE wire not the ground. Never disconnect the amplifiers ground before disconnecting the positive, or it can try to ground through it's case or the RCA cables.

Something like this would work if the amp is in fact "stuck on":

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/30046/vpid/133395 4/vpcsid/0/rid/123284

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 102
I can disconnect the remote wire and the power light stays on, that L.E.D. does not use enough power to drain the battery like what i have. The Internals of the amp must be constantly on. As far what i ment by "relay" i was thinking along the lines of a ford starter solinoid... that should be capable of several hundred amps. My amp uses 2 40amp fuses so 80amps would be a peak draw. No i do not have a power wire crossing over. The problem is internal. But I know that if i should try to send it back Im gonna be out several hours and possibly more than $20 and worst of all, have to spend at least a week without my baby lol, idk if i can live without the bass.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9625
id get it fixed if its only going to cost you about $20....as far as having to wait to get it back it would worth the wait to have a 100% functioning amplifier
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us