High Capacitor Ratings

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2833
I've read about them, but actually having 220 farads seems kinda weird to me... http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=495-2071-ND

And then they have ones up to 5000F, but the voltage rating is too low.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4636
So wutz ur point? Polo...

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2834
Oh I guess I forgot my statement of wonder (question)..

How long does 220F last at say..100w? I don't want to calc and I didn't check for internet calculators.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7759
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html

" Another item I'd like to touch on is the more recent advent of the high capacity capacitors (25, 50, 100+ Farad capacitors) and so-called "BattCaps."

These types of capacitors have extremely high ESR values which makes them very bad choices for the uses mentioned above. They are usually carbon-film based capacitors in order to get such high values, as opposed to the much lower ESR electrolytic capacitors you tend to find in teh 20 volt 1Fd type cylinder style units.
End result is avoid anything like the 100Fd capacitors like a plague. "

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1681
I disagree with MS, although his description of the two is correct, the use of them can be helpful.
In every competition vehicle I've ever built I used at least two 50Farad caps.

I asked the same question once, (I wonder how strong just the caps are by themselves?) haha so I tried them, was able to crank over my CRX with 2 50uf caps haha.
I recommend using capacitors.
Not many agree with me, but it's been my experience thats shown me they do work.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4637
They won't keep your lights from dimming, this is probably one of the biggest reasons people buy them. Smaller, lower ESR units are good for transient responce and is more noticeable in class A/B full range amps. I use caps, in the range of 1-5 farads, caps don't hurt unless the ESR of the cap is higher than the ESR of the providing battery power. You would be better off having the alt charge the cap and cap to charge the batteries, would also clean the voltage...Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7765
Not my words, hence the quotation marks but I do agree with it.

I believe caps don't work b/c my experience has shown me that. Inserting a capacitor into a system made no difference, in several tests. Well, to clarify: they do store power, but they are pointless for the reason that you could put in a battery instead that would store a lot more.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2835
I posted the link above because it says it has a .0014 ohm ESR

How would they achieve 220F at that ESR?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us