Cheater amps.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4092
whats a decent amp thats cea rated for 1000 watts, but puts out closer to 1500?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4148
Cheater amps were from before the CEA ratings, or before most companies chose to publish them, because they "revealed the wizard behind the curtain" so to speak. The Orion HCCA 2100 was one. Some old-school RF, Zapco, PP and Soundstream fell in the cheater category too. Basically they were high current designs that could develop far more power than the ratings indicated.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4095
ya, Thanks Brad. thats great info..well, The class I run is limited to 1000 watts, so im looking for a new amp that does around 1500 or so, but states its rms as 1000.
my 3 zapcos fall into that catogory,
my z100 is rated at 50 x 2, but will do 400 x 1.
Also, im looking to do it at 1 ohm. old skool zapco 750, or MMats come to mind. any one got any other ideas? specific models?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7754
American Bass VFL series are some very good current "cheater" amps...... they don't publish official ratings for them and they are known to do way more than what usaci rates them for. I know this is the case with the 200.1 so probably with the others also. A VFL-100.1 should be right up your alley.........

BTW what organization and class is this. I know usaci goes by 4 ohm ratings and they rate the VFL-200.1 at 500 and some watts, when it does over 3000 at 1 ohm.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4096
lol, thats a little too much.
Im looking at US amps D-1000, btw, it need to be as efficiant as possible.
I got a MMats D200 that is 600 at 2, but idk if its stable at 1 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 794
cadence a7+hc

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Cadence_A7+HC/

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2316
Rockford Fosgate T10001BD

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4097
thanks, I check the availability on those.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2165
Old school Orions are very nice "cheater" amps. The Orion 275G4 is rated at 1200x1 at 1ohm but will probly do 1500wrms easy,the 250G4 would be a better choice since its rated at 800x1 at 1ohm but will do more. They are rated at 12volts also and great SQ. That is if you can find em.

Bronze Member
Username: The_mod

BANVILLEUSA

Post Number: 24
The term "cheater amp" used to be used for amps that bypassed the 4ohm rating setup by USACi.

Cadence a7+hc
Orion HCCA's
etc.

Now that USACi allows protests and has rerated quite a few amps, very few cheaters stand for long.
For example...the AB 100.1 was rerated awhile back.
Competitors realize what amp is winning in a given class and they try it. If they find the amp is infact more powerful than "rated", they protest. But, some protests are boarder-line. The DDM3 is one of those amps.

If you are competing in a non-sanctioned or non-mainstream competition, and are only allow 1000wrms full rated power...think more along the lines of VOLTAGE. Not CEA-2006 ratings.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3701
Cadence DCA-1600/Daytona Series

4 Ohm RMS 1 x 50 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
2 Ohm RMS 1 x 1000 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
1 Ohm RMS 1 x 1600 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us