Ive Been Thinking...

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 918
It's been awhile since i've been on the site, so if this has been asked between the last time I was online and now, I apologize in advance.

So here's what i've been thinking. The current box ive built is very nice tuned at 38 Hz, but I can't say I listen to Rap as much as I used to. Most of the Rock and Metal I listen to isn't for the Lows, so I thought about building a Sealed Box. But I can't say I want to loose all my Lows.

So I was thinking about building one box, that is both Sealed, and Ported. Do not be confused with a bandpass box! By this, I mean I want one chamber to be completely Sealed off from the world, while the other chamber is ported and tuned to 36-38 Hz.

The Sealed chamber would be smaller internally, but I would try to work the box's design around the Length and the Width of the Ported requirements, so it would look like a normal typical enclosure.

Anyone have any thoughts or disbeliefs about my idea?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8240
What you can do is build yourself something in between ported and sealed specs for a box depending on what sub you have.

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 920
Two 10" RE SE's

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8242
Honestly, if you placed one sub into a sealed chamber and the other into a ported I think you'd get a muddy or inaccurate reproduction of bass from one side to the other. You could try to tune things through crossovers but honestly...I wouldn't recommend doing what you have in mind. It would be a great hassle to get it to sound right as far as I know. Don't let me steer you away from your ideas though, if you want to try it I wish you luck. If I were you I'd probably tune to 32hz and call it a day and if it's not good enough I'd throw in some beefier subs and more power and stay at 32hz if more output was needed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us