DUDES! Been a while. Anyone seal a Q?

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

15 Wanger Premier Member, FL

Post Number: 433
Hey guys. I just recently bought a yellowtop, and noticed a dramatic improvement! Just today I bought a set of Focal 165 KBE brand new from my boy at Sound Depot and he done hooked me UP! As you can guess the system I have in the car is leaning toward SQ, and I want to tighten up my Q 15 in the trunk. Has anyone sealed one of these? I want to know how you like it.
Ty

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 468
i could be wrong but i am guessing from what i have been reading is that the Q would not sound as good sealed as other subs would. even though it is a sql sub it still has a high sensitivity which is not good for something that is sealed. it is made to be ported and sound good.

but dont' listen to me. i just did a lot of reading last night about this stuff and that is what i got out of it

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4108
A driver with high sensitivity is a GOOD thing in a larger sealed box because the sub needs more power to sound as loud as in a ported box. In a small sealed box it goes the other way at low frequencies. The Q sounds awesome in a large sealed box around 2.5 cubes. It will be tight and controlled but will still hit hard and have very good extension. And the SQ will be top notch.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3906
After hearing my Q's ported at 30hz and 32hz, then going to sealed, I wish I would have went sealed earlier. They sound amazing sealed. You really don't lose too much output either.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8237
Of course going sealed has it's disadvantages and advantages. MOST ported boxes are more efficient in certain ranges but don't perform as "tight" as sealed no matter what people tell you. Anyhow, I'd recommend going with sealed if you're interested in sound quality and ported if you're looking for output.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9585
if your going sealed and you want that added sq sound use polyfill....ive tried it and it does work
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/talkshop/messages/41415.htm

heres the listed amount of fill and its affect....if your target is larger than this chart which im sure it is because fi recommends 2 to 2.6 sealed just adjust accordingly....for instance id expect a 2.0 cubic foot box to give a box size of up to 2.60 with the right amount of polyfill in it

SEALED ENCLOSURE
1.4-ft³ Box

Stuffing Density
(lb/ft³ ) System Resonance
(Fsb) Effective
Size Percentage
Gain

0 56.6 1.4 --
0.70 53.0 1.6 14%
0.75 52.7 1.7 21%
1.50 51.7 1.8 29%
1.75 50.8 1.9 36%
2.60 50.4 1.6 14%
3.10 52.6 1.2 -14%

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Ok, so if I were to build a box of 2 cubes, and stuff it with 3lbs. of polyfill, I would effectively have a 2.5 cubed with the driver mounted standard. Is there any reason other than adding internal volume to invert the sub mounting? Any suggestions on which way to aim the sub? I have it in the trunk of my 1999 Accord. Should I go front, back, or up? Would it make a substantial difference if I were to build it with double thickness? I will think of more questions soon, so be prepared!
Thanks for all the ideas so far guys.
Cheers,
Ty

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2493
i had my q sealed

it was amazing... 2.5 cubes

did a 40.1 on the tl too with a kx1200.1

Gold Member

Post Number: 9586
id mount the sub facing the normal direction but keep in mind the sub has 8.5 inches of mounting depth and .19 subwoofer displacement you want to give the sub breathing room from the polyfill...you might need to go a tad larger on the box than 2 cubic feet net (after the sub)....as far as what direction to face the sub design the box so you can position it any direction you want and test it when its built

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Any ideas on double thickness? Will having a box 1.5" thick make a difference if it's sealed?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9587
I dont see anything wrong with a double baffle it will give you more mounting depth at the least

Gold Member

Post Number: 9588
also what is your max height you can go without having trouble fitting anywhere in the trunk

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Well my current box is 17 tall, and it went in with little trouble. I wouldn't want to do much more though. I am considering one only 9 inches tall that spans my trunk bed, and I would protect the sub with a custom grill. The other option is one only 9 or 10 deep and basically making a wall across the fore section of my trunk. I will be removing my rear speakers. Is there any need to patch the 6x9 holes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9589
well I dont really like having a system where I have to have my seats down to play it if thats what your saying but its up to you....sectioning off your trunk from the cab might work well and you wouldnt have to deal with trunk rattle and as far as the 6 x 9's if you design it that way you wont have to cover the speaker holes and as far as the other ideas remember your subs depth is 8.5
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us