Box construction ?

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_the_axe_murderer

Post Number: 38
ok, i am building a slot ported box for a single 12in type r. i already know what design and tuning is but what about the thickness of the mdf? the reason i ask is i have a sheet and a half of 5/8 mdf left over from my work were they remodeled. i know prefab boxes are 5/8 but i have always used 3/4 for my boxes. can i just double baffle the front and be good or should i break down and just buy some 3/4?

Bronze Member
Username: Excursion

Post Number: 22
3/4? that box would be heavy as he!!. just use 3/8 plywood that way the box will be easier to move . just be sure not to strip the speaker mounting screws.

Silver Member
Username: Gibsonguy

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 169
for a single type r you should be good with 5/8 mdf. it will be harder to work with though. i have enough trouble not splitting the wood with 3/4 when putting the screws in.

and double baffling will help in this case if you are worried about it. also, putting in a couple pieces to brace the box might be a good measure to take.

goodluck.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17078
Be sure to pre drill all your holes and drive them in straight. Use 1 3/4"-2" screws max and plenty of glue.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1063
use 3/4" MDF, no need to double baffle, single should be good enough for just a single type-r

Gold Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 1089
excursion- plywood blows D!ick.....i would recoment mdf 3/4" as abarca said

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4045
"just use 3/8 plywood that way the box will be easier to move"

ya, last thing you want is a thief hurting his back stealing a 3/4 mdf box.

If you have the 5/8, i would use it, dbl the front as suggested, and maybe some internal bracing. Remember, its only temparary, as you will be getting another sub, or a diffrent sub in a few months.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17079
I think everyone is assuming excursion is serious?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us