Building a new box...

Username: Evildoughboy08

Post Number: 10
i have 4 12" JL W0s and i origionally built a 4 12" ported box for them. i overdid it, and the box is worthless (so worthless that on 4th of july we're putting some mortars in it and seeing how it reacts). It was too big for my trunk and the ports made it sound like a bullfrog(OVERSIZEDDDD) The box was designed to the JL W0 specs. and i made it so each sub has its own enclosure and its own port. now...

my question is, on my new box i build, do i still want to keep all 4 in seperate enclosures and seperate ports, orrr should i make them all in the same chamber, and only one port on a side or two ports on opposite ends? the only reason i ask is i know if i do this i will save more trunk space and won't have to resort to trading my 4 12s for my brother's 15"L5.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 424
u do not need to have it in seperate enclosers. i would just make on. look at the specs to see what it is best tuned to.
then u can design the box useing the RE site or an other site that can calculate what it is tuned too.
u don't just make the port as big as u can, u make it so that it is tuned to how u like it. i am guessing what u did before was tuned way to high.
don't forget to brace it and add in the displacment of the subs when ur doin the calculating on those sites

Bronze Member
Username: Evildoughboy08

Post Number: 11
o yea i kno but what do you mean "brace"?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9535
add in the displacement of the subs and port (displacement the room they take up) as well as bracing (what is used to support the subwoofer enclosure to keep the box from flexing)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us