?my clarion dxz775usb?

Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 2
I have had my HU for about a year, and had no complaints with it till about a month ago. my rear fill (6x9 kicker ds searis?) just cut out, then my amp started cutting out any idea's on whats going on?

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1341
check for shorts, road vibrations loosen things, check the speaker terminals arent rubbing on the body to.

OR United States

Post Number: 5
K I checked every thing and then put it back together they worked for about 40'sec then cut out again. so I took it to the shop that put them in and they checked it and said my amp is bad but my amp aint connected to my rear fill just to my 2 10 jl's so am making sense? or am I missing something obvious?

OR United States

Post Number: 10
OK some of the guys that work at the audio shop agree that I should get a new HU with at least 4volt preouts do I really need 4volt preouts because the spec sheet for this on crutchfield says this has 5.8volts and the clarion site its self says this has 6volt preouts. is my local shop just trying to get money out of my pocket?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1345
don't listen to the shop, let me ask this how is your setup done? is there a amp powering your 6x9's ? or is the amp powering the 6x9's and a seperate one for your jl's? list for me your entire setup, what it sounds like is ether a amp is bad or you need to make a new ground for fyour amp, sound the body really well re add your ground, also please list the guage of wire used, dont listen to the shop, if the radios pre outs were to weak they never would of ran for a year, with pre outs u ether have to high and ur amp shuts off or to low and ur system gets a dirty signal and sound distorted or not loud enough. so just check everything , trust me u don't need a new headunit or anything. YET, we need to fully test everything so list your setup i'll further help you.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 12
Thanks keith, its just a basic setup with kicker(ds)6 1/2 in the front and the same 6x9's in the rear with 2 10" jl audios run off a kicker 600.1 and it's got 4 gauge on it. neither the 6 1/2 or the 6x9's are on a amp. they could be tho I have a kicker 350.4 just sitting in my closet that has never been hooked to anything

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1346
alright np man , here's what i gather is going on and is very common. ur radio is rated rughly 60 rms times 4. thier not meant to push much, even standard 6x9s works a radio hard. u have 2 things going on here. your ether over heating the radios internal amp or over taxing the radios internal amp. the things thats most likly going on is that you added new speakers to the setup or the radio amp has been running like hell and working lke crazy and finally gave out so it's shutting off. the best way to know is turn ur radio up a little bit , enough wear thier at a fair but not screamin loud level lik a soft volume setting and see if they don't shut off. if they play fine and don't shut off at all those speakers are just to much for the headunit aka radio. so deffinatly the best thing you can do is amp all 4 speakers just set the gain to where they don't distort. and with that rms you should have no problem using a 4 guage distro block or even run a new amp wire. it's up to you but deff man amp those speakers. btw later i'd consider ditching the 6x9s for 6 nches in back or just going all componets in the front no rear speakers. but yea man if u can amp them and all your problems should go away. also one last test dissconnect the back or front one or the ether turn it up i bet they don't cut out with just 2 speakers running.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 14
OK thanks I will try this would using the fade on the hu it's self work or should I really take the wire off the speakers? to get the rear speakers to come back on I have to hit the rest button behind the face plate and they work up till about 14 on the volume before they shut down (that's if I am playing a cd or mp3) if it is just radio they work till about 16-20 the hu has a max vol of 33 so shouldn't I be able to get to like 24-26 or even 28 before any thing really get to the point of shutting it's self down? and I usually keep my vol set between 12-16. I understand about the speakers drawing to much off the hu it's self but would that make the sub amp shut down too?
one more quick thing if you could, I have been looking at components for the last couple weeks don't really know what I'm looking for just looking the couple that caught my eye were the kicker and diamond components and I think clarion had a set that I liked too but I'm not positive could you point me in the right direction pleas?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1348
diamond is the way to go but for the best advice go to subwoofers section and post a topic saying Ot : looking for componets. the guys in that section like chad lee, rob, paul laurel, nick V they all have far superior sugestions and another poster kevin holden might be able to hook you up. hes a dealer, also other posters berny mack, yanks fan and so on post on there any of those guys even jake papa have alot of experience with componets. i won't bs you i don't run them cause i don't have the money but i'd do exactly like i said if i could, they know thier stuff big time on componets. the reason your radio can go higher is the sound quality of the radio is less so you can turn the volume up more and no the fader won't help, lastly the sub amp should not shut off if it is it means 3 things, ur clarion headunit is really shot and u might need a whole new headunit. your gain on the amp is turned up to high or your amp is going but my main suspects i would tackel is the gains or think about replacing the headunit or even sending it to clarion for testing.lastly no it's shutting down at what ever point the radio goes in to a protect mode to try and save the radio from damage.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 16
alright I'll wait till I sort Thur this before I bug those guy's about components cause I'm asking about subs in there now. to properly set the gain should I take it in and have a local shop do this or is it easy? cause you should use a dimm for this right? and I don't have one. even if I did not sure I would know how to use it.
before I had the Jl's in there I had a single 12" clarion run off a clarion apx?2120(I think that's what it is) that the shop gave me and put in for free cause I had list of complaints, but anyway right after I picked the car up and left I got about 4 minutes away from the shop before the amp turned it self off I went straight back to the shop and they pulled that amp and put on another one, same thing happened so third amp they said it was fine now but it still kicks off(if the vol goes above 16-18) even with the kicker amp on there. I'll have a different audio shop set the gain for me unless it's easy and I can do it myself but looking at all this different stuff now I'm thinking it's my hu. also this is my first aftermarket hu, so is clarion even a good brand? or a brand that you would recommend?

i

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1349
clarions are nice thier nothing to sneeze at, your 4 best brands, pioneer, eclipse, clarion and alpine, thats for headunits only. setting the gain is easy just go to lowes or radioshack get a dmm. set it to a/c voltage. disconnect your subs put the meter on the amp terminals where the subs connect. turn off bass boost and all that on the headunit and amp, never use bass boost on the amp. turn high pass filters, low pass filters, sub sonics and all off. now get a 50 hz test tone from realmofexcursion.com. burn it to a cd and play it with ur radio volume at 75 percent turned up. find the voltage you need here http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

now turn your gain up to match the voltage that told you, all while the test tone is playing. once the voltage is set your done turn everything off and set your low pass filter around 80 hz leave every other setting on the amp off or at 0. thats it simple as that. also ur ohm load might be wrong on the subs to the amp they can shut off due to that to.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 21
I'll have to try the dimm because the amp is still shutting down even with the rear speaks unhooked and the bass boost at zero. thank you for all your help so far

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1351
nah man that speaker thing was only to test if your radio can handle playing 2 speakers instead of 4. the subs is all amp related or as far as we know. try turning the gain down to the subs a bit then retry playing. if none of that helps then i truely feel with multiple amps being put in and failing. your subs have been wired wrong or are being labeled wrong. from my rough knowledge of jl audio. thier subs run at weird ohm levels like 3 ohm per sub or so. in turn those can only be wired to like 6 or 9 or maybe 1 ohm. therefore any conventional amp u put those subs to will cause the amp to be damaged or shut down. same thing an happen with ur gain to high. so 2 things u need to do to remedy this problem. find out the ohm of each sub. then see if ur gain is to high if the ohm is ok for your amp. typical amps run at 2 and ohm safely unless it says it can be ran at diff ohm. if u post the sub size and model i'll look up the ohm load for it.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 26
OK Keith the my local home depot has some dimm's coming in in a couple of days so I'll test then. I have a new question . I reset the Hu and the rear speakers played then cut out like they have been doing but I opened the trunk to get something and I see the speakers are playing they just are not playing any vocals is that normal? well you now what I mean for this situation. thank you again for the help

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 27
I almost forgot the subs are jl I think they are 10w1 4 ohm that's just me guessing tho I know that they are svc and I know that they are 10 but I got them for free and that about all I now they look really good like they have never been used and I was told that they were new so if you think you might now something about them fell free to share.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1357
yea i think i know your problem exactly, thier single 4 0hm if i remembe correctly u can only wire them to 1 or 2 ohms. i'll put my money on the fact someone wired them to 1 ohm. most amps can't handle 1 ohm so they shut off. btw take care in them those are extreamly nice subs for free. this is the proper way to wire them.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 28
no go man. that's how I have them wired up. I just went and pulled all the sub wiring to be sure and then re wired it the same way no change I really think it needs to be tuned with a dimm. what about the rear speakers is that normal the they would not put out vocals but still play?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1360
no not normally , unles u accidently had a low pass filter on on the headunit. if u arent getting vocals u could be grounding out on something. btw just turn ur gain down little by little on the amp till the subs stay on or u could hurt them.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 31
OK I'll go pull the Hu and double check that the ground is set right. and the gain is set at the first notch on the amp. I'm not sure what you mean by having a low pass filter set on the HU. I love my HU and all it's features but I'm not sure exactly what all of them do. it dose have a high pass and low pass that can both be on at the same time or just have one or the other set. and I can adjust the frequency of individual speakers or the subs from the HU but I'm not sure how so I don't really play with that stuff to much but I do keep the low for the subs set 80hz on the HU. and I think I'll be able to grab a dimm on Tuesday so I will have questions for you

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1361
no no ur not getting what i mean , grounding out as n the speakers contacts are touching the body of the car meaning grounding out. low pass refers to a filter that cuts off frequencies below a certain point say 80 hz meaning everything above 80 hz is filtered out. high pass means everything say set at 120 hz, cuts off all frequencies 120 hz and down is cut off. typical bass is around 80 hz and down, thats why the filter gets set there. for vocals they typically are audible at 120 hz and u so u set your speakers at that to not put bass to them. with the filters on the speakers will acctually get louder cause your not pumping bass to them distorting them. same with woofers they sound better with low pass cause ur putting the frequency the subs work at to them rather then vocals.

Bronze Member

OR United States

Post Number: 33
ok I'm pretty sure I understand what your trying to tell me^^ and I'm sorry if you feel like your talking to a f*ckin wall or something trying to explain this stuff to me . . . lol I'm pretty good at mechanical stuff it's just wiring that catches me up. but my brother n law is a professional electrician but he is working out of state for the next few months or he would be doing all this for me, so thank you for your patients. I checked the speakers contacts and followed the wiring back to the center console and as far as I could tell nothing was touching any thing that it shouldn't every thing was caped and there wasnt any exposed wire it all looks just as it should as far as I know. so now I'm thinking maybe it dose just need more power and the hu ain't putting out enough could you help with installing the 4 channel amp? it's a kicker 350.4 and I just want to amp the rear speakers for now. so I'll need a distribution block I think that the 4 gauge leading in will be fine going out into 8 gauge on both amps right? and I'll have a 4 gauge ground on both amps. (but can I ground both amp's A/B the the same bolt?) then I splice into the remote from amp A and split it to amp B
and how do I get the power from the amp to the speakers? I have asked a couple people about this before and never really got a straight answer they just told me it was really difficult to amp the door speakers. oh one more quick question my amps both have some kind of input the says strapping or something like that do you know what that is?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1362
understandable, everyones gotta learn sometime. ok heres the simpleist route. run a 4 guage distro, i use a rockford fosgate distro it has insert rings so i can remove one side and make one part 4 and leave the other 6. what u want to do is keep ur sub amp on 4 guage positive, you don't want to step that to 6 guage.

so heres what distro u need to look for. u need a distro that goes 4 guage in one side and it splits to 4 guage or 6 out. typically distros have little ring inserts in the holes that act like a plug to fit smaller or thicker wire. if ur local shop dosen't have distros aka best buy circuit city local audio. you can go to knuconceptz. com, think i spelled that right. just google it, ok after thats all sorted out u should now have a 4 guage power going to the sub amp, a 4 guage or 6 to the speaker amp, and a 4 guage ground or 6 on the speaker amps fine. now make sure the batteries dissconnected before any splicing or cutting. ok so now we have power to our amps. we now can split the REM to both, ok our amps all have power. so now we need to work out 2 things on the amps. we need to figure out if ur headunit has inputs for front and back or just front. if it has 4 inputs aka rcas aka red and white. we can do it like this. plug the rcas into the left set of outputs on the amp or above. now make sure that output is say front input on the headunit. for fron speakers, and hook each front speaker to those 2 channels also a channel is a fancy way of saying + -

ok hook the rear input of the headunit to the amps other output and wire the back speakers to those 2 cannels and were done.

now wiring the speakers from the doors and back. easiest way is to run spare wire acctually go buy wire. and run that wire to ur amp then undr you dash to the headunits speaker plugs. splice this wire into the speakers pos negitive the normally go to the headunit and dissconnect the speakers from the headunit so thier only attached to the amps wires u ran to. it's very important to get this right for front left and front right, back left , back right once this is done and all powered on u should now be able to take the headunits fader and fade all the way front left and get sound from front left do front right and same deal with the back. in talking about strapping that means to bridge 2 amps together. essentially if i remember right u would take 2 amps say of 350 rms and strap them. u can now make them produce 750 rms. it's a way of versatility and efficency for high end systems. in your case leave it alone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us