Flat response for 15" L7 (08' model)

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1672
A buddy of mine just bought an 08 15" L7 and was asking what box he should put it in. He likes his SQ, so anyone who has experience with this sub and can recommend a box that will make this sub have the flattest/best response possible, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's not the best sounding woofer (compared to his JL w0's), but he's stubborn. If anything he said he would go sealed if he had to.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2820
NO NO NO SEALED. Get a different sub before you put that thing sealed. I would do like 4-4.5 cuft to 32hz but it still isnt going to sound very good IMO.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21241
actually jake, there are a few that have tried that sub sealed around here and it sounds damn good. the 08 model that is.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6257
if he wants sq, then why did he buy the l7? tell him to return it and get a different sub if he's worried about sq.

but if he has to keep it, i'd port it, and tune to around 36-38hz. and get the most of it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7666
Holy hell did he ever buy the wrong sub for SQ

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1674
He told me he wants it to hit real low, get loud and still maintain SQ. I told him good luck, but he got it anyways. I might tell him to go sealed, but I'm sure someone (him or his friends) will argue with me.

I told him over and over not to buy it, but him and his stupid friends think I don't know anything. He bought the sub off one of his friends so he's stuck with it I guess. Just to give you an idea of how dumb these kids are...the kid who had it thinks the sub it 2000wrms and thinks 4000w is safe of stock electrical.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

RE MT 15 VFL 200.1 , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1774
So which one of you guys heard this sub?

Oh thats right none of you.

I heard 2 08 L7 12's in .75 cu ft sealed per chamber and they got pretty damn loud and sounded great.

I was shocked since they gave it such small airspace but hey it worked.

I wouldn't recommend going small, the guys had it in a temporary box. I'm sure it has much more potential.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2821
*raises hand*

Ive head it and probably in at least 3 times as many different setups as you have. They sound bad and i personally would never buy one unless i wanted low price SPL. My neighbor has 2 12s sealed and the sq is about a 4/10. Ive also heard many ported (used to help install at a shop that sold kicker) and they sound pretty bad as well but get loud. Overall this sub is about a 5/10 in my book. If he bought it from somewhere he can take back beg him to swap it out for a 08 CVX at least the sq will be a little better.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21247
mike by my work, majority of the people that have a system has the L7s. i hear that sub everyday.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6258
i've heard it also. several people where i work has bought them.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1680
Jake- Do you know what the sub displacement is? I'm leaning towards 4cf @ 32hz with around 48-50ci of port?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7670
I've heard them, or I wouldn't say what I say about them.

Time and time again they sound like azz.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1025
great sub that gets loud i havent heard the new version but from hearing the older ones id say he deff has the wrong sub fro sq

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 701
The only kicker subwoofer that ever sounded good as far as SQ and being loud sealed was the old round kicker solo's.

I also have heard the L7's sealed as well, yeah, they get loud, but there sloppy as he!! for SQ, they just don't got it for having tight SQ response qualities.

Your bud picked the wrong azz sub if he's lookin for low down SQ response and loud. L7 FTL.......

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Post Number: 2218
lol that was basically like me drivin my Torino less then 7mpg again for improved gas mileage LOL

L7 n sq dont go together, IDK like they say try it sealed boxes arent hard to make but i dont think "your" gonna like it

HE MIGHT, if he bought an L7 and wants SQ he wont mind LMOA

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 742
ive had 3 L7s

everyone talks about their build quality being shiit but i have not had one crap on me

i ran my first one sealed and my other 2 ported.

they did sound better sealed but still sounded pretty crappy

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 2825
The sub displacement should be in the manual or at kicker.com.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 703
Man, there are better subs for cheaper if the dude wants SQL.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1685
I agree, I heard a pair in a sealed box (looked like a prefab) and it didn't sound the greatest. It actually got pretty loud too.

Thanks everyone for your input, now it's time to design the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us