What can I do with an F-150?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1667
I was talking to my dad tonight about buying a truck, and we discussed buying his 1999 F-150, but it's a straight cab , so no more 15's. Anyone did an install in one or have experience with one? If so what did you install or what do you think would fit box size? It has a bench seat so I don't know how much that will muffle the sound. It has a cargo bin thing behind the seat, but that will go. I was thinking 4 10"s, maybe 3 12"s? The subs might have to be fairly shallow due to depth reasons, so I though I might do more 2-4 mid-range subs instead of 1 good (better) sub.

If this vehicle will severely suck for audio (as far as minimizing output due to seat) let me know. It's not a for sure thing I'm gonna buy it.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2278
Someone I know has an F-150 with a 12'' MTX 9500 and a RF T10001BD and he was hitting 144-145ish on burps when he used to compete.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1668
I'm assuming thats extended cab?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2142
Go with those JL shallow mounts,someone did a review on them and said they were very impressed.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Im BTL Bumpin

Post Number: 1021
blowthrough FTW you could keep your 15s bud ;)

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1669
I need the room in the bed for the bike. Plus it wouldn't feel right cutting a whole in my truck lol.

I just don't wanna get this truck and have it be hard to get loud (as a daily driver).

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2279
"I'm assuming thats extended cab?"

Yea, it was just the small cab in the back with the side seats.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1670
My main concern is if the subs face the seat, and are only a few inches away, if it will muffle the sound.

I was looking into 3 or 4 of the pioneer TS-W1007 and 1207. I've heard some good things about them ported, but not much about sealed.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1437
Adjust the seat to where you would be comfortable driving and then measure behind the seat to give us an idea of how much space you have to work with.

My cousin put a Alpine Type E 12" in a sealed box behind the seat of his single cab Chevy Colorado and I was very impressed with the output. He could only fit one sub in there, but those trucks are tiny. You should be able to fit 2-3 12"s in there if the box is right.

Just to give you an idea, this box would probably work pretty well with those Pioneers. I'd build one similar to this if you are planning on going sealed.

http://caraudiofactory.com/533x1012-sub-box-p-138.html

Or maybe something like this for ported, but make it with flared ports facing upward.

http://caraudiofactory.com/502x12-spl-sub-box-p-143.html

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7656
If you go with one 12" or two 10" subs (thats all you will have space for) you can build a decent system in a std cab truck.

My friend has a std cab silverado with two CVR 10". Even though the system ain't much, the cabs so small it get fairly loud, and you really feel the punch of the sub when it right behind you almost against the seat :-)

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1671
Thanks guys. Well I'm still discussing the truck with my dad, since I really wanted extended cab. He told me $3000 for it and I think thats a good deal, thats why I'm interested. It's a 1999 F-150 XLT/Long bed (it's loaded), with the 5.4 triton in it. Has around 157 thous highway miles. Body's great (few scratches in the bed, nothin more than I'll do to it), no rust. Sound like a good price anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7665
I'd say thats a good price if it doesn't need any work.

Keep in mind what gas prices are though..... that 5.4 is gonna hurt.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1675
Ya I know lol. My work is only 7-8 miles from my home so it won't get too ugly, and I live in the country so it's mainly highway anywhere I go far.

Oh I forgot to add it's only 2wd, which is odd since it has every other option except that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us