Big fight with parents

Silver Member
Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 143
I just got an RD alpha and ample amp, and i only have a 70 amp alternator and a costco battery in the front....My parents wont let me get 2 deka intimidators! They said
1. It will blow my alternator (i think it true that it will wear out fast right? but not just BLOW)
2. completely uneccisary has no added effect.

So i'm not allowed to drive with it loud...so i can only really play it loud when i stop...so i kinda need the batteries unless i wana listen for like
a few minutes only...

WHAT ARE SOME COUNTER ARGUMENTS I CAN USE FOR WHY I SHOULD GET THESE BATTERIES?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4016
A gun always makes a good argument tool.

And also, better batteries will prolong the life of the amps. You should be arguing for a bigger Alt, imo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
i tried, that wasn't even arguable...they don't want me making any driect mods to the car

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4034
Just do it. What are they going to say once you have it done. What can they say. My parents never wanted me to get into audio, but I do it anyways. Atleast your not smokin crack.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4017
well, then its simple. Move out of thier house, buy your own car, do what you like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
im 17 haha :-( i can't really do that..and im not sure how i would order it online?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1661
Tell them if you play it at stop you are more likely to blow stuff from voltage drops than if you were driving with the RPM's up. Also, say would you rather have me spend a few hundred on an alternator, or possibly spend over a grand in replacing fried components.

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4035
Go open a banking account. Put all your money in there, get a debit card, order stuff online. Don't tell them your opening a banking account. Forgot if it requires a parent or not. Don't know, but try it out. Don't feel bad about going around your parents, its not like your trying to do something bad behind their backs, like smoking crack.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9824
Whats with you and smoking crack Berny? Lol

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4036
I don't know, first it was turtles but right now, crack feels about right.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1662
Tell them you are gonna start smoking crack if you can't get what you want, or start selling crack to get your own ride and place.

As far as a bank account, you can get a savings account by yourself (18yo for checking, unless co-sign). You can link a savings account to a paypal, then buy away!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16985
Years ago my folks dealt with me growing up by trying to deny it. "You can't get a job until you get a car. You can't get a car until you get a job." They just didn't want to let me go and fall on my own, which everyone HAS to do.

Eventually I found my own job that I hitched a ride to long enough to buy my first car. They had no say in the matter whatsoever because I did it all on my own. My money, my car of choice. When you take something from your parents it's kinda like an extension of their grasp on you. The younger you are when you break away from the nest the sooner you realize the world hands you nothing, you have to go and get it.

At 17 you're starting to see this coming. At the very least when you do something for yourself they have to respect that.

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9826
"So what if I like to come home and relax with a little crack pipe? Does that make me some kind of crack head?
:: Oh my, hes a crackhead::
::He's the fattest crackhead I've ever seen::"

Jim Gaffigan ftw.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_the_axe_murderer

Post Number: 32
DO NOT TELL YOUR PARENTS THAT PLAYING YOUR SUBS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR! if they are like my parents were the will make you get rid of the stereo all together. what kind of car is it? any place you can hide a battery? ( i know a local who put a battery inside the rear side panel of a suv)

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9476
honesty is the best policy....with an alternator that size you should run about 300 rms for the sub and a small amp for the highs....maybe you can trade or sell the alpha in exchange for a sub that will fit that power amount....I know you probably dont think you can get fairly loud with that kind of power but you can....im using a phoenix gold xenon 400.1 for my sub amp to run a single 12 and ill be running a phoenix gold tantrum 250.2 for my components

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10677
agreed with Sean:-) hey Yanks I saw gaffigan last october he was funny as SH!T

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 490
a guy here at a local shop has 6 RF P1 12s and is only running 300wrms to them and hes hitting low 40s in the cab of an extended cab chevy 1500

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9829
"hey Yanks I saw gaffigan last october he was funny as SH!T"

Going to see him July 18th in Richmond :-)

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10680
you wont be dissapointed!

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 573
honestly dude you know your parents better than anyone. and i think you should consider doing what bernymac said and just buy the alt and installing it without them even knowing...

im 17 too and i go through the same sh t so i know how you feel. my moms psycho so i just ask her if i can do something, and if she says no and its completely unreasonable then i still do it. they get over it.

also what i do is find a friend with a debit card and have them buy it and get it delivered to their house, and install it at someones house too. they will never know.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3596
haha^^ ive done that

the cisco kid

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16993
I didn't mean hide it from them but fend for yourself. Once you learn how to provide for yourself you will appreciate it more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Toyota Corolla 1997 what kind of HO alternator can i get for that?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 2034
My cousin has a 70 amp alt along with upgraded battery and 120 amps out of an amp does not hurt it. Of course the big 3 is a big help along with the battery and you will be fine. Just can't beat the crap out of it at idle for a long period of time.

As for parents, tell them you need them or you will take their batteries :-)

Kevin

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
haha, well my whole plan with the batteries was, drive around with the sube at like 400-600 watts rms, so it should be charging my batteries, and when i have to take my parents anywhere it all off, so if i can cgarge those batteries up i can blast it when i want...and my alternator will be okay somewhat

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
okay so
http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/toyota.html
1.6 liter 1997 toyota corolla...255 shipped
The two batteries would be 250 shipped...i can install the alternator...which is better?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4018
buy the 150 amp alt secretly and install it. Then say, mom dad, your right. I dont need more batts. how about just 1 new one, then get a catus or a nsb90. you will be golden

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
yeah, so thats what im gunna do haha
Can you guys help me out with finding a good alternator for as cheap as possible?

My parents will think im so "mature" when i decide all those batteries are unnecessary

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9480
Well I wouldnt see anything wrong with a new ho alt in your car because it would supply your electrical needs and you could leave it in the car when or if you sell it or you could put the stock alt back in and resell the ho alt....you could tell your parents that

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7652
Well your parents are half right. You don't need the batteries you need an HO alt, and one good battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
if i put the HO alt in can i the new battery wait for a month or two?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 2037
I do agree, if you will save up and can grab a HO alt, that would be best :-)

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 206
"I do agree, if you will save up and can grab a HO alt, that would be best" x2

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
where should i buy it from? can someone help pick out one that is good for my needs :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_the_axe_murderer

Post Number: 33
bump

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2913
just ease em into it.

my parents were a little iffy when they bought me my car. i started with a 12 and my stock hu. then i got 2 subs. then i redid my doors with comps, now i have a 15 with 2 amps, front comps, and a tv in the dash. ahah slowly but surely they'll come around. don't piss em off though

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 166
wow thats really surprising they let you get a sound system yet they won't let you get a new battery?? i'm pretty sure putting a system in a car requires more modifications and time than putting a new battery and/or alternator. my parents were like that too with my new car i got for graduation. 12 hours after the car was really mine i had my cd player, my kicker 15, custom amp rack, speaker amp hooked up to stock speakers, and pa. =)

boo parents. 2 more months and i'll finally be gone!

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 167
and i can guarantee you it wasn't as bad as the fight i got into with my parents when they sold my old 92 mercedes for $250. =(

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
$419 for 200 amps dang this is gunna be expensive...haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us