Post Number: 171
Trying to decide between the two brands and figured id ask opinions

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7641
Neither.

www.odysseybatteries.com

But if it has to be between those two Kinetik wins by a mile.

Silver Member
Username: Audiosaab

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 172
alright cool and how precisely do i wire up a second battery to my original? (EX: size wiring, how much, how to wire it so the 2nd is in my trunk)

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 577
I'd do atleast one run of 1/0 gauge from the positive of the front battery to the positive of the back battery. Then either ground the second battery to the chassy or if you have the money do a run from the negitive front to the negitive back.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 173
will it charge if i only run the pos and then ground? sorry, new to the whole battery thing..............and also if im running a 1400-1600rms estimated watt amp what size kinetik battery do i want? there saying the HC1800 but i doubt i need that much juice.

p.s im going to be running this off of the big 3 wiring under the hood as well as the two batts and a stock 90amp alternator

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7643
The two batteries have to be the same to wire them in parallel like that. Otherwise you need an isolator and then you still only have one battery on the audio system anyway.

WHY are you wanting the 2nd battery? If you're having electrical issues that 90 amp alternator is the problem. Batteries are not a substitute for an alternator.

One good battery (kitetik, odyssey, etc) is more than enough for a daily system. You need an alternator that can keep it charged though.

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 423
Would the system suffer if you only upgrade the Alt and Big 3 but leave the factory battery in place?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7646
Often thats enough if you're not running a huge amp. For 3kw+ it's good to have a better battery though.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 175
O, the tech support told me i should upgrade my battery, i thought this meant that i should get a second....but mabye ill look into just replacing my existing stock one......on top of this i am going to eventually replace the alternator but not quite yet.....

like i said im new to this but like i said ive already done the big 3....

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1795
"and also if im running a 1400-1600rms amp"

You DO NOT need a HO alt if you are running that much power if the amps have any efficiency to them at all. Just do you big three and put a kenetik 2000 or so in the back and you will be good to go man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
^ "You DO NOT need a HO alt if you are running that much power"

I disagree. I think it comes down to an individual basis, I was running 330rms on a crappy amp and my lights dimmed when the bass hit, now I'm running 1200rms on a better amp and the amp has shut off a few times when I turn it up loud. I have a HO alt on the way, but have not yet done the big 3. I doubt the big 3 alone will give me the extra power to make my system run with minimal voltage drops.

I'm no expert, but I believe the problem I am having is related to the power I supply my amp, and if you want to run higher rms then you will most likely encounter similar issues with out a HO Alt.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1796
I disagree. I know that you can run 2krms off a stock alt with an extra battery if you have all the correct wiring and a decent amp.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 730
Also look into PowerMaster and SVR for batteries.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1797
Yes, I have heard nothing but great things from power master batteries. Just see what you can get some decent deals on.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1346
it comes down to effi. chris, nick is right that 330w was probally dirty power aka high resistence. i was running 600w and it dimmed my lights with 136a alt so i upgraded to a optima yellow top and it helped some so i got a 300a alt it was much better. then i switched amps to a 3800w quess what no light dimming because the amp was more effi.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9466
chris Durski...."I disagree. I think it comes down to an individual basis, I was running 330rms on a crappy amp and my lights dimmed when the bass hit, now I'm running 1200rms on a better amp and the amp has shut off a few times when I turn it up loud. I have a HO alt on the way, but have not yet done the big 3. I doubt the big 3 alone will give me the extra power to make my system run with minimal voltage drops.

I'm no expert, but I believe the problem I am having is related to the power I supply my amp, and if you want to run higher rms then you will most likely encounter similar issues with out a HO Alt."

while I agree with the facts you gave Chris you missed that nick said a "kenetik 2000 or so in the back" and I agree with that statement but only would do that for a daily system if the stock alternator was big enough to support the battery

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1347
northstar battery nsb90 end of discussion

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1798
"and I agree with that statement but only would do that for a daily system if the stock alternator was big enough"

Yeah. My stock alt is 110 amps or so Sean.
But on a 3 second burp for SPL, your alternator doesn't actually come into play. It is all battery power. With one kenetic 2400 on 2k my voltage was actually staying around 13v or so with a 53hz burp. Surprised me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9467
but at the same time a ho alt with sufficient idle amperage would also do the job well

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1799
Yes, but the discharge rate from the alt would not be enough to rely on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9468
"With one kenetic 2400 on 2k my voltage was actually staying around 13v or so with a 53hz burp. Surprised me."

oh im not suprised....ive seen my brother's kinetic hold on more power than that (2800 I think) at 63 hz and stayed in the 13.3 volts range and that was only a kinetic 1800 I think

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1800
Yeah man. I was burping 4k last night on that one kinetic 2400 and voltage did not get low at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9469
"Yes, but the discharge rate from the alt would not be enough to rely on."

for daily use?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1801
I thought you meant for burps Sean lol.
I would still get an upgraded bat for daily use...

Gold Member

Post Number: 9470
"Yeah man. I was burping 4k last night on that one kinetic 2400 and voltage did not get low at all."

nice....by the way my bro's notherstar is even better than that kinetic and its not even brand new....it was previously used in ray farmers crx on two dd z 10's

Gold Member

Post Number: 9471
"I thought you meant for burps Sean lol.
I would still get an upgraded bat for daily use..."

I thought so

I probably would do the ho alt but to each his own

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1802
Really man? I never heard much about North Star. Soon I will be getting a HO and and upgrading my start bat, but that is after I spend all this money on paint for the exterior ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9472
"Really man? I never heard much about North Star. Soon I will be getting a HO and and upgrading my start bat, but that is after I spend all this money on paint for the exterior ;)"

yeah it was either the kinetic 1800 or the 2400 that he was using and the northstar held the voltage a little stronger (didnt drop as fast) and like I said that was a used northstar that had 4000 to 5000 watts drawn off of it (car off) in Ray farmers crx on two dd z10's

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
I did miss that part about the extra kenetik, I stand corrected. But 110 idle for a stock alt is amazing compared to my 65amp alt at 1800 rpm, not at idle.

I think the alt I have on the way is 85 idle and 135amp at 2000rpm... I can double check specific number if anyone else have an Accord they are lookin to get more juice out of.

I can't stop you from laughing at this, but it will give some insight as to why 4 times the power only made my problem slightly worse, replaced a sony amp with a kicker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9479
chris Durski...."I did miss that part about the extra kenetik, I stand corrected. But 110 idle for a stock alt is amazing compared to my 65amp alt at 1800 rpm, not at idle."

Nick was talking 110 max not at idle

"I think the alt I have on the way is 85 idle and 135amp at 2000rpm... I can double check specific number if anyone else have an Accord they are lookin to get more juice out of."

to me the idle amperage is important because thats the worst case situation

"I can't stop you from laughing at this, but it will give some insight as to why 4 times the power only made my problem slightly worse, replaced a sony amp with a kicker."

that probably made a difference

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4019
Whats the legal issues of using a NSb90 in the lanes. It is a telcom battery, therefor it may not be legal. Anyone know if they are approved?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1349
the nsb g3100 is legal. thats what i have its the same battery it even says nsb90 in small letters.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8198
Odyssey batteries are not the most cost effective. You can find Kinetiks of comparable performance for far less however, the NSB batts beat out both the Odyssey batts and Kinetiks in a power per dollar ratio.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8199
"yeah it was either the kinetic 1800 or the 2400 that he was using and the northstar held the voltage a little stronger (didnt drop as fast) and like I said that was a used northstar that had 4000 to 5000 watts drawn off of it (car off) in Ray farmers crx on two dd z10's "

Don't forget it's all about how you "train" the batteries.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9483
what do you mean by train Rob

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 409
if u do the big 3 on a stock battery wont it damage it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9484
no the big 3 will help with current delivery....sounds like your worried about too much voltage....thats the voltage regulator's job

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1721
Here is a question for you battery people:

What is the largest, deep cycle, group 31 battery with side mounts that I could fit into a 94 Saturn SC2?

If I get a battery larger than a group 31 I automatically get bumped up to street C, but in C you can run two batteries.....

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 259
can someone drop a link to were you can find these batteries for sale? I cant even Google kinetic and find it.

Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 1
^^ Just check out ebay.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3855
"can someone drop a link to were you can find these batteries for sale? I cant even Google kinetic and find it."

Thats cause it kinetik.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us