Got my RD Classics in yesterday..

Bronze Member
Username: Ninobrn99

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 54
I also picked up my ported box tuned to 35hz. Each sub has its own chamber. They're wired in parallel for 1ohm load and paired with a PG Xenon 600.1 (818w rms @1-4ohm)

I put them in and started to try and set my gains. Well I have to say they're loud! Some coward as$ people a few houses down called secuirty where we live because it was too loud.

These things hit nice and loud!! I have to say, I was very upset with the wait and the way things went down, but I have to say that I am very please with the product. I had to turn the gains down as well. My wife thinks they hit too hard and she says she cant breathe right when they hit. If you can get them with no hiccups they might just work out for ya.

I've read all the RD bashing threads and even still, these are more than I expected. Kevin was a great help and was up to par with CS, contrary to most would think. He didnt shove the brand down my throat. A fre people on CAF also recommended them to me as well. (yeah, i know, crazy right). Ill post pics of the box and subs when I DL them. Ill also try to get a video up, but Ill have to find a place to do it without getting in trouble ;)

Silver Member
Username: Gibsonguy

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 132
sounds like a satisfied customer. glad to see you finally got things worked out and it turned out alright for you. i am going to try rd one of these weeks most likely.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7637
Nice to hear an independent review of the classics.

If I may ask what other subs have you owned / heard to compare them to.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 620
i think their kinda like my bms i used to own a pair their good for what i payed for them just didnt like the cone to much other than that worth the money

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 55
Ive had some old mtx thunders, the older rockford P2's and jlw3v2's and w6v1s. ive also heard quite a few subs and these really do shine. Im not feeding them as much power as I should because i never get to ride solo since my wife is always around, but one day when I do ride alone, ill turn the gains up ;)

I did notice the same day that I got security called on me that when I was driving downt he road I was paying attention to people on the streets to see their reactions and I could see people turning around looking way ahead. I was pretty satisfied with that.

I am going to build a sealed box (1.5-2.0 cubes per sub) and see how they compare. I gotta wait till I get the money to do it though..Im drained right now and I need books for school :-(

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9454
glad to hear you like them....it will be interesting to see if that write up I gave you is correct about them sounding much better sealed

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 56
yup, thats what has got me thinking. The SQ of them now is pretty d@mn good, if sealed is that much better than wow!

They weren't as big as I thought they were going to be (overall height and magnet) but its no hinderance on these things.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7644
Gain is not a volume control........ turn that up too far and you're gonna have some problems.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 57
no, it isnt. I am aware of that, but the sensitivity and bass are lowered to help with what the subs pick up.

I understand that the gains arent a volume control, but what I dont understand is:
if you turn down the sensitivity, the subs dont play as hard

turn it up, they do. Im sure thats why most get confused on it being like a volume knob.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7647
Gain acts like a volume control, to a point, which is determined by using an on line calculator and readings from a DMM..... I don't have the link right now someone else should

Turn it past that point and you get clipping.

So technically it is a volume control up to a certain point, which you don't know where it is without going through that procedure.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 58
i believe its on the bcae site isnt it? The gains werent near clipping, just suitable power (tuned by ear) I turned it down to where the subs play mild when the volume on the HU is turned up so it doesnt drown out my mids and highs

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2270
http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

When you set it at w/e voltage you need, if you turn it past the volume you set on the HU, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're clipping. A lot depends on what kind of music you're listening to.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, NE TEAM RD U.S.A

Post Number: 979
i want some vid plz

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 59
ill try to get one done this weekend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
thanks nino i want to see what they can do

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1794
There is no point in using that online calculator.
Don't you guys know the basics of Ohms Law?

(Power) x (ohm load) = xamount

Then take the square root of x amount and that is the voltage you set your amp at. A good general tone to use is 50hz.

So if your amp does 1000rms at 1 ohm, it would be:
1000 x 1 = 1000
squareroot of 1000 = 31.6v :-)

If you amp does 1000 at two ohms:

1000 x 2 = 2000
square root of 2000 = 44.7

So you would set your voltage on the amp to 44.7 ;)

I'm glad you like the classics man.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 60
Honestly, I dont know the ohms law. Im going back to school ;) Im taking math again for the first time since 98. Been a while :-)

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1035
^^^ i actually didnt know that lol. good stuff there nick.

and props on the classics, i heard they are impressive.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 61
Nick,
Quick question, do you know the formula for me to figure out what my actual rms is if I have xx.xxv getting to the amp instead of rated 14.4v?

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 62
thanks Abarca.

Nick, nevermind. I think the difference is 40w, so my actual rms is 777

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1716
Where is a good place to buy one of those multimeter things? I have not seen one in town anywhere....Ebay? Whats a good price?

You can figure out volage, ohm loads...etc with them right? (I have never used one)

Thanks

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 63
sears, radio shack, any electronics supply stores.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1717
Do they all work the same or is any brand fine? Some are $20 on ebay some are $50....

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 64
i cant say for certain. I have a fluke thats pretty d@mn good. Ive used a craftsman one that wasnt too bad either. Id get something kinda in between the cheapest and right around where you wanna pay.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1719
Yeah only thing is if they are $100 I will buy it I just wanted to know a good brand.

I will look for Fluke or Craftsman and stay away from the cheap, cheap ones.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 65
Fluke would be the better of the two. Id opt for that if you can.

Silver Member
Username: Howtoeatapencil

Post Number: 144
why did u wire them down to 1 ohm? why not 4 ohms?

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 66
Because I thought the lower the ohm you can wire it too, the better. I didnt have an issues wiring them up either way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
really? i thought it was the other way around, but im might be wrong

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 67
subs:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5089.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5090.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5091.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5092.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5093.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5094.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5095.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ninobrn99/IMG_5097.jpg

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1720
@earl

Higher ohm loads (4ohm..) create less draw and (might be wrong on this) but more efficient power. Lower ohm loads (1ohm...etc) create more power but demand much more current and is therefore less efficient. If you can power your amp with efficient power, high output alt and batteries then running it @ 1/2ohm is going to yield much more power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
but if the amp is 818 watts at 1-4 ohms, isn't it supposed to give the same amount of power at 1 or 4 ohms?

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 73
yes it is. Im not sure what the answer to your question. I thought that less impedence is better. 1ohm is better than 4ohm. Power is the same, but something has to be different. what, I dont know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
sexy good job "gold baby XP"

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 559
I had a pair of classics for 6 months and honestly I think you will like the sealed sound better than ported to 35hz but its all preference.

Propz on going with Classics, most ppl think they are too "plain" but in fact they are very nice woofers IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Excursion

Post Number: 12
hey look, atomic!

Bronze Member

Honolulu, HI USA

Post Number: 74
Hurrican,
I would've gone sealed and I normally do, but I was recommended the box I got built. Im going to practice box building by make a box thats 1.2cu per sub

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 842
When is RD gonna catch on with the woven tiensils?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 2038
Derek, the leads are woven.

Excursion, please do research before posting.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1046
psh kevin what do you know about RD? do you think your some kind of RD dealer????

lol jp man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us