Good DMM for the $$$

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1634
What's a good one for around $20 or so. I'll buy anywhere so wherever you guys find one. If there is any reason to spend more let me know, Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7601
Any DMM that doesn't look cheap as crap will be just fine everything you need it for related to car audio.

There is a reason to spend a little more though for a "true RMS" meter, which is needed for certain things. DMMs of that type are almost always decent quality also. Another feature to get if you're going for a good meter is autoranging, with manual range you have to know the range that the reading you will get will be in and manually set it on the meter. This is not necessary but nice to have.

Personally I carry around a cheap meter from harbor freight b/c I use it so much it gets beat up, and then I have a good true RMS meter if I need it.

One thing not to waste your money on is one with an so called built in scope. They are nothing like a real oscilloscope.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1638
Alright thanks for the DL. My old one has a refresh rate of 2 per second (or whatever they call it) and would only go to 1/10 of a decimal place. I'll just find one on ebay that has a little better specs, since mine drove me crazy for some odd reason lol, not that it even matters much lol.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7609
It may have more percision in lower ranges as that is how it usually works.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16931
"Personally I carry around a cheap meter from harbor freight b/c I use it so much it gets beat up, and then I have a good true RMS meter if I need it."

Me too.

Harbor freight is a great place for disposable tools. The innards of a DMM are quite simple so even the cheapest one are fairly accurate.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1644
Paul do you have any DMM's for sale?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16946
Why lol? They're $5.

Buy two.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92020

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 193
hey m.s buddy whats up? havent heard from you in a while. anyway, sir, go to Advance Autoparts i bought one from them for like 50 bucks and its awesome! it reads everything under the sun. they have cheaper ones but i chose this one. it checks voltage ohms ignition systems sylonids, etc great deal! hope you find what ur looking for.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3819
I picked up a craftsman DMM at sears for $10. Does everything I need it to so far. They always have sales on them. My uncle screwed it up somehow and I took it back and they replaced it on the spot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16958
Yeah they're really not that expensive an item. Even at $10.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1647
I think my last DMM was the same one at harbor freight (except yellow), or atleast the same brand. The only time it made me really mad was in this one kids car, it would not pick up on his box terminals what so ever, made me look retarded lol.

Well I'm going into sears tomorrow since I have some tools to exchange so I'll pick one up there. Thanks for the help guys.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7622
Pick up a craftsman one with True RMS, autoranging, etc and that will last ya forever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us