Stuffing in a sealed box?

Would there be any use in putting poly fill in a sealed box? I know in ported boxes, they make the box 'look' bigger to the sub. Would this help anything in a sealed box since the air isn't really moving? Maybe it would reduce standing waves? Anything?

Polyfill has the same effect on sealed boxes. The polyfill doesn't slow down the air, it slows down the sound waves (like yelling into a pillow.)

Thanks for the reply. I am getting a new box for 2 subs (just have 1 right now) and I had to go with a little bit smaller than ideal for those subs to make it fit in my truck. Might help reduce some of the strange things that can happen in a sealed box (standing waves/resonance of the wood) also. Any idea how much polyfill I should add to make a 1.3 cu. ft. box 'look' like a 1.5-2 cu. ft?

Also, how exactly do I put the polyfill in? Just drop it in there, or does it need to cover all of the walls?

motoman22
Alex, just grab handfulls of the poly and 'lightly stuff' about a pound per side. Break it up, try to make it an even density but don't spend all day trying to make it even...

If the box sounds flat, pull some out. If it still sounds like the box is too small, put in a little more. A pound per side should be perfect.

Also, make sure the box really is air tight. Seal up the corners with silicone (be generous) and make sure the gasket on the speaker is intact and none of the mounting screws strip out. After the speaker is put in, it should be obvious that the box is air tight by gently pushing in on the cone...you should feel the pressure behind it fighting you. Evenly spread your fingers out around the dustcap and gently apply a little pressure pushing the cone in to test. If it's easy to push in, find the leak and seal it.

INCUBUS
Silicone is great for sealing boxes but make shure the silicone is completly dry before putting the speaker in. There is somthing in the silicone (i can remember what its called) but it weakens certain parts of the woofer......good advice Moto
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us