Local SPL Contest Next Week NEED HELP!!!

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 227
Ok listen guys i have never been in a competition, so i have a few questions, this is an open comp its 5 bucks to get in, and its in my town only a few loud systems, i havent hooked mine up yet but it will be going in my sisters cavalier, i have 2 12" HX2's (puncch not power) in a box with huge ports not sure on specs on box but should be good, and i have an amp that puts out 1650 watts rms, (metered it) what are some tips? what should i have all the settings at. gain, bass boost, and frequency. how does the comp work do they give me a cd? let me know any bodys advice or answer to these questions would be great, thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8149
You need to set your gain properly to the tone you'll be running when you burp. The way to find your peak frequency is to run a sweep and see what hits best on the meter. After that you are going to burp using that frequency. You'll also have to mess around a bit with box position, moving it back and forth, side to side to hit your highest number on the meter. As far as the signal source goes you should bring CDs with you just in case. Make sure to download some test tones or go and buy a Bass Mekanik CD from Best Buy or Circuit City and read the back label to see if it has tones on it.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 230
ok dude well i have all bass mekaniks cd's well songs i have to burn them, but am i allowed to play whatever frequancy i want and i dont have a meter so how do i know which will be the loudest, since its a ported box, would a lower frequency be the best? and as far as the gain should i just crank it dude? and will these subs do ok do u think i am overpowering them quite a bit i dont car if i blow them

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3581
you dont care if you blow them? lol i'd build a box for the comp. 3.5 tuned to 43 and test out 43-55 hz test tones and just play the loudest one to your ear at the comp. but set your gains properly with a dmm. gains are not volume controls.

the cisco kid

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9347
I agree with the new box build idea tuned to 43hz if you want the max spl on the meter but if this isnt a strict comp and they allow burned test tone cd's id make a cd with tones from 43 hz and up one hz at a time....this one looks like it might go 1 hz at a time starting at 60 hz and goes down to 45 hz....you can download the 43 hz track seperate here and put it on the cd....also you can find the 44 hz track on file sharing im sure and add that too

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/testtones/43Hz.mp3

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/testtones/60hz_%20to_45hz_sweep.mp3

the other suggestions mentioned by Rob and the cisco kid are also correct

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3583
rob listed the more correct way and also more time consuming way. if you have a meter and time to work on it rob's post would be very useful. i simply stated a quick way to get a better score

the cisco kid

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 233
ok dont have a dmm meter, no time or money to build a box this is a huge box for these 12's im gonna be wiring them to 4 ohm and briding my amp to get 1600 watts rms @ 4 ohm, they are rated 500 watts rms, anyways, do i leave my window open a bit or do they make u seal it? should i have my subs pointing to the back of the trunk or the front towards me? my cavalier seat folds down so that should help, let me know thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9349
"ok dont have a dmm meter"

get one for 5 bucks like I did at harbor freight....it just might keep you from blowing up your subs

"do i leave my window open a bit or do they make u seal it"

it depends on the type of competition your going to whether its sealed up at the dash or windows and doors open mic at the headrest

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 234
ok i can pick one up tomorrow where could i pick one up, tell me briefly how to use it what do i place it on and what does it actually do? thanks

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 236
i hope i get atleast 135 db thats my goal lol

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 420
that should not be a problem with 2 12's on 1600+ wrms.if install and equipment is decent, then 140-142 shoul be possible... if not more
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us