Omg...What Happened

Silver Member
Username: Audiosaab

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 136
I was driving to work today playing my music and suddenly my subwoofers stopped working all together, the amp turns on but the two alpine type R's aint bumpin at all

what should i do!

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10580
did you trt turning it off and back on? is your amp in protect? did you hit a bump when it happened? was it really loud when it happened? check over your wiring is what I would do first.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 137
yeah lemme check wiring after work

i had the volume up relitivly high though but not too high from what the system can handle (aka ive done higher)

im not sure if my amp is protected though im assuming it is (Hifonics Brutus BXI1606D)

No no bumps what so ever on this road, just pure strait away

And as for noise when it happened the sound got kinda screwed up and i thought it sounded almost like i blew a door speaker so i immediatly turned it down....

im hoping i didnt foack this up...

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10582
does your amp only power your subs? or is it a whole system amp? that is usually nopt a good sign when something sounds like it blows. I would check your wiring first and make sure nothing is touching(pos+neg) causing the amp to go into protect. good luck man!

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 238
Try gently pushing in the subs by hand and see if you feel a scratchy feeling. if so. the subs are blown. Also, check to see if maybe one of the jumper wires for the voice coils came off.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_the_axe_murderer

Post Number: 25
get a d.m.m and see if the amp is putting out any power to the subs.( a.c. voltage)if it is you have either a wire of you subs or both are burned out. if the amp is not putting out power check the rca cable from the cd player and the amp fuse at the battery. some amps will turn the 'power on' light on any time the remote wire is hot even if their is no power from the battery!if you are sure you have power and signal to the amp and its not putting out power its the amp.do a little checking and get back with details and i or someone will tell you what to do next.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10583
I doubt you blew both subs at the same time, I would bet on the amp being the problem not the subs. As soon as you said hifonics I immediately assumed amp problem.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 138
the thing is the amp only powers the 2 subwoofers....

hifonics is not a great brand but it is respectible enough in the aspect of it working well so long as you arent over pushing it....

i highly doubt i blew the two subs at the same time as well but i will check that within the hour using your method luis

and donkey ill use a voltimeter when i get home to check that stuff and get back to you....

this is just a tad frustrating because ive only had this whole setup installed for a bit under 2 weeks....

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 139
luis by voice coils do u mean on the subwoofers themselves?

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 140
k nvm, its not the subwoofers they are fine....the amp is not turning on....could this be the fuses or what?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3740
Does it make a popping sound when on or no sound whatsoever? Just check the fuses first and all that good stuff. But to me it really sounds like the amp is toast.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 141
it makes no sound whatsoever.....where do i purchase new fuses if these are burnt?

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 142
oh and nother note....when i turn the car on the hifonics lights (seeing as how every hifonics has the glowing blue leds on the front) light up partially but the power lights show nothing...

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3741
Thats not a good sign. If the fuse was blown, the amp wouldnt light up at all cause no power would be getting to it.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 143
hmm ill check everything tonight when i get home i guess....this sucks lol

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 144
k so i tested the voltimeter on the power running to the amp from the battery and it runs at the standard 12v into the amp which still proceeds to light up the hifonics symbol....

on the amp there is a power and protect mini led which neither are shown as on though.....

since i doubt i blew the subwoofers A)because there 2 alpine type R's which tend to hold pretty strong and the fact that i wasent pumping that much leaves me to try to figure whats wrong w. the amp

any ideas of what i can do?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3984
what ohm load is the subs wired to? and does that amp support it? Try a jumper from the amps positive to the amps rem terminal. Does it power on? This only works if theres 12 volt on the power wire at the amp, and the ground is good at the amp.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3745
See if your remote wire is good.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 145
the subs are wired to one ohm which the hifonics bxi 1606d can supoort fully and i have 2 4ohm alpine r's......

im not sure i understand what u mean marc with a jumper per say...can u put it in easier terms for me im not good w. the special naming....

and my remote wire actually broke about a week ago but i had some wire to extend it into the rem slot earlier this week...so it should be fine

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 415
"im not sure i understand what u mean marc with a jumper per say...can u put it in easier terms for me im not good w. the special naming.... "

run a short wire from the 12+ to the remote terminal(on amp) while the power wire in plugged into the 12+ terminal. See if it powers amp...

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 416
"and my remote wire actually broke about a week ago but i had some wire to extend it into the rem slot earlier this week...so it should be fine"

all the more reason to check it 1st!

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10604
I would deff look there first! thats what it sounds like, your remote wire.

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 146
alright all check those things tonight and get back to you guys tommrow....ahh ecoustics still the best at this stuff :-) thanks

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3985
Upload

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10616
hahahahahaha nice skills man:-)

Silver Member

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 147
well, lets see, i tryed that and it instantly blew the fuse on my car...so i had to use my spare fuse to get the stereo itself running.... but alas i am still, after rewiring, checking my ground rem and 12v wires and my wiring to the sub.....stuck with the blue leds on the top being on (mind you in a dimmer fashion, like they no longer glow brightly) and no power or protect light

hmm what to do, what to do any other suggjestions?

nice picture though lol

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10617
take a long piece of 22ga wire and take out a acc fuse(radio,cig lighter) and wrap it around the fuse and stick it back in, then run it back to the amp over your seats and SH!T and hook it up to the remote on your amp and see if that solves your problem. If this solves it you know you have a bad remote wire then you just wire it back nicely. Try another amp if you have one see if it gets power if you do then its the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us