Electrically what do i need for my memphis 4kw?

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 224
I just ordered my memphis 4kw, and its mots likely goinbg in a 88 astro van for now, i have 30+ feet of kicker 1/0 gauge wire, will that be good enough? what size alt should i get? how many battery's let me know thanks

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20947
do you have a ho alt or stock?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2128
My friend had two of those amps in his accord. He had a 260 H.O alt and two batt on the back.
I would start with a H.O Alt.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20948
"My friend had two of those amps in his accord. He had a 260 H.O alt and two batt on the back.
I would start with a H.O Alt."

and even with that he still managed to blow one amp.

Gold Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1655
250 H/O Alt and two HC2000

Maybe Replace front one with HC1400

It always good to be safe also BIG 3 Might need more ) awg wire for the Big 3

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1656
you could prolly get away wit a 200 alt tho

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 225
what about size and amount of runs of wire i already have kicker 1/0 gauge is that good enough

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20949
that amp is a current hog. i'd do 2 runs for positive and 2 runs for negative.

Gold Member

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2130
Yeah my fiend had the big 3 and still blew that amp. He is not rookie. Two runs sounds about right.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5949
dru you realize you have to do the big three with an HO alt right?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8093
"you could prolly get away wit a 200 alt tho"

You're an idiot if you think you can run at Memphis 4KW with a 1ohm load off of a 200amp alternator to it's full potential. You have no idea what you're talking about and you have no experience with that amplifier. It's extremely inefficient compared to a lot of other mono D class amplifiers I've used or seen. It's efficiency is so bad I'd steer clear of them unless I was running a 16 volt setup.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8094
Chris, I may have a 300 amp alternator with bracket that you'll be needing. It's from Iraggi and I'm not going to be using and UNLESS Iraggi honors the plan he made or deal it will be useless. In case you're wondering I paid for the lifetime warranty/first car swap out plan.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8095
Oh and the alt I'm speaking of was being run in an Astro van so...

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 226
ok dude so can u get a new one or is it already new?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8110
Well considering that I ran it in my vehicle lol...I'm going to say it's not new. A new 300 amp alt in that case will cost you around $500 bucks. I was going to see if Iraggi would swap it out like he said in the deal we made but getting a hold of that guy is like winning the lottery or being struck by lightning but not as easy.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 678
^haha - i have not bought a HO alt as of yet but I have tried contacting Iraggi and it is pretty tough. It took 3 emails to get a response.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8112
Daniel, that's not even the main problem. His customer service is complete sh1t. He sent me an alternator that never fit, I was told it was a direct bolt on but he was full of sh1t so I had to make it work. That's why I dislike the guy, you pay him for a certain product and he never honors his word.

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1657
oh geez here we go again wit this sht...

HE could get away wit a 200 alt but he would need more batts so shut it.. it isnt entirely false thanks bye

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8120
"HE could get away wit a 200 alt but he would need more batts so shut it.. it isnt entirely false thanks bye"

Dru, when did you own one of these amplifiers? Never? Oh that's right. I owned one and ran it off of a 300amp alternator with my engine's idle being raised and still had drop, that's how current hungry they are. I've actually spoken with the guy who designed the 4kw and he told me that you need 400amps to see full potential out of those amplifiers NOT 200. So you shut it dumb as$ because you have no clue what you're talking about. You saying he could get away with a 200 amp alt is true if you only use half of the amp's power but that'd be just plain retarded and dumb or something you would do.

Gold Member

Boca Raton, Florida

Post Number: 1658
yea im not reading all that... See u can correct me but dont have to be such a Dick about it you know

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8123
To anyone who has read Dru's nonsense about a 200 amp alt being sufficient for a Memphis 4kw please disregard the neanderthal's statement.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4562
Most of the problems stent down from not enough battery power. High output alt won't do nothing if you don't have a place to store it. A single Alt will never produce enough power for a big amp actually not even a multiple alt setup will either. Reason being is that there is a lag between the alt and regulator, a small latency problem to draw of the amplifier. This is mostly seen while street beating, the tell tale disco ball effect. You need a lot of battery to be safe and a good HO alt to keep them charged. Do not rely on alt alone, it won't work and BTW the M 4ks don't like low voltage spikes. Also you do know there are stronger amps in smaller packages lOl those things are like surfboards hahahha... Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7573
Bad choice of amp, those things have such terrible efficiency that you spend more on the charging system they need (and probably still have it not be enough) than you would have on a better amplifier.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4575
Word ^^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9325
yeah hes looking at about 400 amps of potential draw right....let alone the cars basic electrical needs and another amplifier to keep the highs up with the bass

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 996
all i have to say is...good luck!

oh and maybe you can return the amp? and try to get something not so inefficient?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4576
Upload

DD Z1a with a BatCap 8400 (16V) underneith, also backed by two 2200 dual voltage batteries (12/16V) so to give you an idea and this is a daily... Polo..

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1000
clean that sh!t up polo...looks like my toilet after hotwings. haha

jk

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, NE TEAM RD U.S.A

Post Number: 974
sexy amp =]

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13833
''''''''oh and maybe you can return the amp? and try to get something not so inefficient?''''''

most helpful idea on this thread thus far

since everybody is saying the same thing get a different better amp...

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10578
Hey Chris read Rob,Polo, and Seans post thoroughly they all know what they are talking about from true life expierience not just he said she said bull SH!T. Disreguard Kangology 101 what he said will only end up putting a HUGE strain on your vehicle's elec system not allowing your stock components to run properly and or cause stalling or cpu failure or even worse fires! If you want a good estimate of alt power you will need you take the amount of watts divide it by 10 and there you go. Its not exacxt becase efficiency is different between classes of amps but it will give you a close estimate. I would run twin 250 amp alts on that amp but hey thats just me, I preffer to do things propperly not half assed! There are a select few on here that know what they are talking about, there used to be a lot more but a few are still around and you guys know who you are so i am not going to start naming names but listen to them not some guy who just posts a lot to get his post count up to make people think he knows his stuff based on his post count. Its unfortunate that post count is pretty much like a credit rating around here it should not be. Go by knowledge and understanding not post count!!!!! end of rant!!

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1748
Here's what I think heh:
Get the biggest HO alt and a few batts. After that, upgrade your wiring. Try this charging system with that amp and see how your voltage is. If it still does not keep up, and you do not want to spend any more money on charging, just sell the amp and get you something more efficient.

+1

Gold Member

Post Number: 9335
the only bad thing with the largest iraggi 300 amp alt is it will only put out about 110 amps at idle if im remembering correctly....but thats the compromise you make with the large high output alternators....there was one company that made a 300 amp alt that put out 160 amps at idle that berny found but im not sure if they make one for your vehicle....ask him if your intrested (good luck with what you decide to do because one alt wouldnt cut it for me either with your setup)

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10605
that was the one point I wanted to make and left out Sean lol way to pick me up :-)

Gold Member

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2163
I will post the link in a lil bit. I am going to order my alt on friday from them..

Gold Member

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2164
here you go
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=9&catid=41&ret=catalog.php%3Fca %20tegory%3D41

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1010
thats a good price on a 300amp alt.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4577
That is why I had my Alt ordered from Bosch by Dom lOl, does over 225A at idle, overdriven of course

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 229
Ok guys well find me another f***in powerful amp under 1000 bucks delieverd, thanks ecoustics bros

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9765
How powerful is "f***in powerful"?

Guessing another 4k?

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 231
yeah thatll be good or around there,3500-5000

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10637
your going to run into the same problems no matter what amp you run once you get upwards of 4K watts.

Silver Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 232
i know but i lost the bid on my memphis

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 758
hey polo how the 8's handling that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9346
"that was the one point I wanted to make and left out Sean lol way to pick me up :-)"

no problem man we all forget stuff once in a while....thats whats great about a board like ecoustics we can help each other out with input that someone by them selves might not think about or forget to add

Chris Maskell....that listing lowlife gave is the one I was talking about with the highest idle amp for a 300 amp ho alt

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4578
"hey polo how the 8's handling that?"

?

Polo

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7593
AQ 3500d or RD 5750.1 would be my suggestions depending on just how much power you need.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1382
Why not get a dual alt bracket for the astro off ebay, and a 2nd alt from autozone? You could probably Ask the guys at MLA (missinglinkaudio.com) about how well that works with a few extra batteries. You'll be sure to get the same power as a h/o alt, especially more at idle. Plus with a higher voltage it's win win imo. I'd give it 2 runs of 1/0 minimum and 3+ batteries. Good luck.
BTW- I currenty have 4 of them, so I know what they're like- powerhungry, but great power vs. price.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8181
Great power Vs price in comparison to what?

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 786
i think he's saying he gets a lot of power for not that much money.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4585
You get ok power for a lot of money actually lol. IMO they are oversized and overpriced, but that is just me. IA 40.1s FTW.. :-O Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9381
he can run the dual alt setup with the 160 amp at idle suggested above and the stock alt temporarily its supposed to be 100 amps max....that would give him about 210 amps at idle and 400 amps max and then upgrade the stock alt to a 200 amp alt that would give him 100 amps more at idle which would give him 260 amps at idle and 500 amps max and then run some batteries....he could even step up to a 220 amp alt if the idle amperage went up enough to warrant the cost increase

Gold Member

Post Number: 1386
^yep.

The 4kws are long and thin, which to me work better than tons of other amps that would put out similar power:

RF 4000 off ebay is around 1100
Sundown 3000 8-900
And many many other amps. You can buy them from a dealer with warranty for 1000-1300 no problem, used for around 600.

There aren't many amps that will put out that much power for $600. = Good power vs Price. :-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7597
" You get ok power for a lot of money actually lol. IMO they are oversized and overpriced "

X2

They're cheap for a 4kw amp but thats b/c their efficiency is so terrible you will never get that power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
^ I disagree. With a very stout charging system there's no reason you wont get that power. I had 1 memphis 4ks hooked up and it had no issues putting out a rock solid 4000w.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7599
Oh yes there is...... with music you're using 1/4 of the amps total power on average. Even your electrical system as impressive as it is will not hold 14v for more than a few seconds of playing a test tone / bass track at full volume, with 4 of those amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1388
I wont argue that until I actually do it. I'd be willing to bet even at full tilt I'll be keeping things above 13.5 on music. I'm not talking about 4, I'm talking about his 1. There's a big difference in 4000 and 16,000.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4588
2 DD Z2s would have been a better choice, taking up less space... Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us